Road bike any suggestions

IamGroot

Road bike any suggestions

Postby IamGroot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 pm

6' 1'' 110kgs down from 180 and looking for a half decent road bike around the 2000 mark.
What's the bigger guys out there riding.

Kronos

Re: Road bike any suggestions

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:56 pm

110kgs should fit under the weight limit of most Giant road bikes. It depends how aggressive you want your riding position as to what type of frame you want. In its true sense I'm going to assume a "proper road bike" which tops out at 129kg. See page 28 for specifications. The more sedate tourers can handle up to 160kg.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... -%20AU.pdf

Given your height you would be looking at a medium-large or a large.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... e_size.pdf

Of course the usual applies, make sure your wheels are properly sized and spoked to handle your weight. I'd suggest at least a 32 spoked 3 cross heavy duty touring wheels. The good news is that you wont have to buy the absolute most expensive bike given your weight as you wont be gaining a significant advantage of a lighter bike just yet. However a lighter bike is something to aspire to as you lose more weight.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Kronos wrote:110kgs should fit under the weight limit of most Giant road bikes.
Giant don't have weight limits. They do do however state that heavier riders should expect shorter component life than lighter riders.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Duck! wrote:
Giant don't have weight limits. They do do however state that heavier riders should expect shorter component life than lighter riders.
go check he links I provided above.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:09 pm

Kronos wrote:
Duck! wrote:
Errr, he sells them and has been around them for half your lifetime and a third of mine. Think the man knows what he's talking about...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Kronos wrote:
Duck! wrote: Giant don't have weight limits. They do do however state that heavier riders should expect shorter component life than lighter riders.
Errr, he sells them and has been around them for half your lifetime and a third of mine. Think the man knows what he's talking about...
maybe he needs to read the latest manuals.. ? Just sayin'
pp28
High-Performance Road
CONDITION 1 Bikes designed for riding on a paved surface where the tires do not lose ground contact.
INTENDED To be ridden on paved roads only.
NOT INTENDED For off-road, cyclocross, or touring with racks or panniers.
TRADE OFF Material use is optimized to deliver both light weight and specific performance. You must understand that (1) these
types of bikes are intended to give an aggressive racer or competitive cyclist a performance advantage over a relatively short
product life, (2) a less aggressive rider will enjoy longer frame life, (3) you are choosing light weight (shorter frame life) over more
frame weight and a longer frame life, (4) you are choosing light weight over more dent resistant or rugged frames that weigh more.
All frames that are very light need frequent inspection. These frames are likely to be damaged or broken in a crash. They are not
designed to take abuse or be a rugged workhorse. See also Appendix B.
MAXIMUM WEIGHT LIMIT
RIDER LUGGAGE* TOTAL
lbs / kg lbs / kg lbs / kg
275 / 125 10 / 1.5 285 / 129
* Seat Bag /Handlebar Bag Only

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Sometimes it helps to read the friendly manual.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 pm

IamGroot wrote:6' 1'' 110kgs down from 180 and looking for a half decent road bike around the 2000 mark.
Was in similar boat and am down from 123kg to 96kg whilst rehabbing a combination spinal/sciatic nerve/hamstring injury.

The big issue with larger riders like yourself and me, are the wheels. Maybe the Giant Fastroad if you fancy a flat bar.

Shimano Tiagra 10sp, decent looking wheelset, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, 28mm tyres (although I know nothing about the Giant Gavia tyres fitted to these), and importantly the Giant warranty experience (have heard nothing but good things in this regard).

RRP is $1800 for one of these, looks like a fair deal.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 pm

Wheelsets of course need to be speced to weight and spoked correctly to handle that weight. This isn't particularly difficult, it just requires picking up something that's not quite off the rack. However, most people upgrade their wheels straight up and it doesn't mean you can't go back to the originals once you've lost some weight.

V17L

Postby V17L » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 pm

I'm somewhat heavier than you and the same height, and have not had problems with my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, or my defy 1. Both good bikes, one is carbon, the other aliminium.
Yes, wheels are the part that you will affect but they are also easy to replace if you have a problem. Cross that bridge when you come to it.
Best go to a bikeshop and have a look and test ride.
I did change my saddles to selle smp gliders, as i couldnt get along with the stock saddles.
Congrats on the weightloss, thats one huge effort
Giant Defy 1

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:15 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
IamGroot wrote:6' 1'' 110kgs down from 180 and looking for a half decent road bike around the 2000 mark.
Was in similar boat and am down from 123kg to 96kg whilst rehabbing a combination spinal/sciatic nerve/hamstring injury.

The big issue with larger riders like yourself and me, are the wheels. Maybe the Giant Fastroad if you fancy a flat bar.

Shimano Tiagra 10sp, decent looking wheelset, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, 28mm tyres (although I know nothing about the Giant Gavia tyres fitted to these), and importantly the Giant warranty experience (have heard nothing but good things in this regard).

RRP is $1800 for one of these, looks like a fair deal.
Thanks for the suggestions and I do love the sexy blue version, flat bar I'm thinking is good since I'm not looking to be bent over all day.
Rim capabilities is interesting as I have a Specialized29er and had a few buckled rims back at 180/160 but now at 110 no more rim issues.
Have a Specialized Crosstrail Sports Disc and a lovely commuter/tourer as well as our Merida Crossway 100's.
Looking for a lighter, thinner tyred, 2 x 9/10 setup and now with the flat bar.
Last edited by IamGroot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 am

Just be aware the Fast road and other Giants are running - D-Fuse composite seatpost - it may be a weak link for heavier rider and any other seatpost can't be used. (I have a Toughroad and seatpost head is a little off centre - short of trying to warranty it, nothing I can do) and I'm 63kg.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

V17L

Postby V17L » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am

I am looking myself for a new flatbar to replace my aging trek fx. I like the look of the giant cross city disk 0.
Suggest you look at the Ergon GP5 grips, as i have found them excellent for many hand positions. The new grips allow bar end mirrors to be added.
Giant Defy 1

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:03 pm

I was around 115kg when I bought my first, second-hand road bike. I still ride it and now I'm down to 100kg (and still dropping).

It is a Malvern Star Oppy. Alloy frame and carbon fork. It came with Mavic Aksium wheels. I didn't even think about weight limits etc when I bought it. I subsequently did some research about it. The interwebs seem to have two views on the Mavic wheels - one is that they are really heavy and that makes them slow, the other is that they are really heavy and that makes them tough and good for heavier riders. What luck! I've put almost 10,000km on them and they are still true. I had to service the freehub, but they have never missed a beat.

On the other hand, I bought a cheap Reid flatbar bike for commuting. At my current, reduced weight (about 105kg when I got it + plus work stuff) the rear wheel could not cope. I broke some spokes and replaced them. I broke other spokes straight away and replaced the wheel. The original wheel was an Alex DA16, and now I have a Shimano R500 which has been great for the last few months. The Alex on the front is holding up OK.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Yesterday drove 300ks in the pouring rain to go pick up my Crosstrail (had a new Rockshox fork fitted) and the Giant store had a M/L Fastroad in shop and I like it a lot. The only problem is how do you know if your going to like the bike if you cant get to take it for a trail ride. Do road bikes have a shorter wheelbase than the mountain bikes its just that being a taller person I do love the outstretched riding position.
How's this for a sexy blue?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/
Last edited by IamGroot on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Bike fitment can be an issue particularly today where taller people are riding smaller and smaller bike "because its lighter," "because its more aero," "because its more compact," "because it accelerates and climbs faster." All of these things are only partially true. I don't particularly agree with the current trend of bigger men and women using smaller bikes it just is what the current trend is. Road cycling among people who don't know what they're doing is a very monkey see monkey copy sport and just because Continental and Tour riders are gravitating towards the smallest frame they can functionally ride on for small benefits in weight reduction and aero doesn't mean you should also.

I believe it was Specialized that first started doing this and everyone else has been on the bandwagon since. But for what its worth one of the reasons I ride older bikes apart from the reduction of cost is because I can have everything dialed in the way I like it, the way it was traditionally done, and on a personal note, the way I think it should be done. While everyone has a "back in my day" story, this really has been a bad thing for the sport (of minamizing choices in frame sizes) that has really only become a substaintial issue in the last 10 years or so. Whether its cost, or trend or whatever, it's annoying and I don't participate in it these days.

It used to be up until around the mid point of the last decade you would still be able to walk into a shop and order something like a 58 or even 60 that would suit someone your height but now it's a bit more like McDonald's. Which size would you like, small, medium or large, we also have jumbo and half size to

My initial suggestion, to directly answer your question, At 6"1 unless you have a similar problem to what I have of a long torso and short legs you should be able to order in a large and I'd be surprised if you couldn't stand over it. So start directly from there.

It may also be beneficial at some point down the road to find a bike from a manufacturer that still measures frame sizes in centimeters. You can then dial in everything else you need on the basis of a traditionally fitted frame such as seat height, stem, crank arms, etc until you find something that works for you.

Some bike shops will hire bikes, some will let you go for a short test ride, the issue with taking it out on trails is a liability issue for the shop, and on top of that what happens if you break something? Some bike shops will have indemnity for that kind of thing and hire modern or the latest bikes. Otherwise there are a myriad of problems with test rides we should be familiar with if we have a car license...
Last edited by Kronos on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:36 pm

IamGroot wrote:Yesterday drove 300ks in the pouring rain to go pick up my Crosstrail (had a new Rockshox fork fitted) and the Giant store had a M/L Fastroad in shop and I like it a lot. The only problem is how do you know if your going to like the bike if you cant get to take it for a trail ride. Do road bikes have a shorter wheelbase than the mountain bikes its just that being a taller person I do love the outstretched riding position.
How's this for a sexy blue?
Think you'll find an M/L a fraction small. Giant sizing recommends an L for approx 183-188cm.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Yep M/L to small and would need a XL for my long legs. he shop guys said they could order an XL and I'd have to take it even if I wasn't happy with the stance. Thinking I might risk it and hey its only $2,000.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 am

Ok, hope it works out well. Let us know.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am

Kronos wrote:
It may also be beneficial at some point down the road to find a bike from a manufacturer that still measures frame sizes in centimeters.
Couldn’t someone just check the geometry chart of a prospective ride? Looking at the Fastroad ( because I am too actually)

https://pdf.giant-bicycles.com/giant/au ... ke-169.pdf

All the measurements you’d need to get started.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:34 pm

fat and old wrote:
Kronos wrote:
It may also be beneficial at some point down the road to find a bike from a manufacturer that still measures frame sizes in centimeters.
Couldn’t someone just check the geometry chart of a prospective ride? Looking at the Fastroad ( because I am too actually)

https://pdf.giant-bicycles.com/giant/au ... ke-169.pdf

All the measurements you’d need to get started.
You could... but its so much more accurate for the whole bike fit if you don't do it half arsed and try to make the wrong sized frame fit you. The art of actually fitting a bike has been lost to commercial interests.

Thats OK though if you don't care, I'm just saying it because its the way I think.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Care aside, what other measurements than those given would you need? All I see missing is Q; and B.B. drop which I don’t think matters?

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:27 pm

IamGroot wrote:Yep M/L to small and would need a XL for my long legs. he shop guys said they could order an XL and I'd have to take it even if I wasn't happy with the stance. Thinking I might risk it and hey its only $2,000.
I am far from an expert on bike fit, but can't leg length be dealt with via saddle height adjustments? Isn't torso length the more important body measurement (long legs = short torso for your height) in terms of frame sizing?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:57 pm

IamGroot wrote:Yep M/L to small and would need a XL for my long legs. he shop guys said they could order an XL and I'd have to take it even if I wasn't happy with the stance. Thinking I might risk it and hey its only $2,000.
I was setting up a Peugeot for it's new owner today, and I got to have a good look at one of the new Fastroad bikes, although an SLR2 (Sora) instead of the SLR1 (Tiagra). I think you'll be very happy with your purchase, a very nifty bike, quite a sexy frame. Post some piccies when you take delivery (did you grab the blue frame?)..

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Not sure if it was said above, but components are going to be the focus - not the "bike" as such.
There may be some frames - but have a look at the components, as they get chewed out a lot more.

*MUST* have 105 level components on the drive train & look for lots & lots of spokes in the wheel - some general advice.