The grief of parking your bike in the house...

ColinOldnCranky

The grief of parking your bike in the house...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Let's get some meaningless conversation going?

I am in the process of selling my home of nearly 40 years. For the purpose of better photos a lot of the clutter is moved elsewhere. Among other things my unicycle was moved out of the way into a not-much-used outbuilding.

Now like so many of you guys I ride a lot, especially early morning. So out of the way is not a good option. My primary unicycle normally sits under the circular staircase near the side exit and ready for quick access. That is NOT the location preferred by my wife but, remarkably, I have prevailed for over a decade now.

So, the question:
Where do YOU stack your bike? And is it a source of grief between you and your partner/family/workmates? (yes, we'll include storing at work.)

(Normal stoarge is on the right hand side under the circular staircase. The side exit is the other side of the dwarf wall behind those stairs.)
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mububban

Re: The grief of parking your bike in the house...

Postby Mububban » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Our master bedroom and spare room are near the front of the house. The 2 kids' bedrooms are at the rear of the house, so I can sneak out the front door without waking the kids. It's hard not to wake the wife up though I do try and be quiet.

2 adults and 2 kids, but the spare room currently contains 7 bikes....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm

I have 11 bikes hanging on the wall in my 'lounge room'. You open the front door and there they are. I have my Coppi, Merckx and Faggin in my bedroom, and I have 4 or 5 underneath the house. But its damp and dusty under there so I like to keep bikes in the house. I have no garage at all.
I was married for 25 years, and it has its advantages.
So does being divorced ;)

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Cool topic.

Yes...significant, but good natured (so far), disagreement at home with all sorts of solutions proposed by wifee and most vetoed by me (especially those outdoor shed bike boxes thingamagigs). Even has us looking at bigger houses to allow a 'bike room' ha ha. I have learnt to read the signals and know when to tuck everything out of sight.

As for work...my site is not large so the only place for my bike to park is behind the rabid anti cycling froth at the mouth type lad. What a shame that is : :mrgreen: :lol: .

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 am

I currently have 2 bikes in what is supposed to be the dining room, except that we don’t have a dining table, and we eat out meals in the room adjacent to the kitchen anyway.
We never have people over for a formal dinner, so there is no need for an extra table we’ll never use. We have an outdoor table for that.

So, the largest room in the house has 3 of my bikes, plus my wife’s bike, plus the Kickr trainer setup. I keep my commuter bike in the garage so I am close to the tool chest where all my spares etc are, and I have a charging station for the lights so that I don’t need to unmount the lights from the bike.

I have an empty space in my rack at the moment due to selling my race bike, but this vacancy will be filled shortly by a new build. It will get racked in the garage next to the commuter bike.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 am

:lol: you guys are braver than me. Happy wife happy life here, bikes out in the workshop....way out of site from the minister of finance.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 am

From some of these posts I am gaining in appreciation of the size and ease of the unicycle. I have always just hung my spare unicycles from five long 6mm garden type hanging basket hooks attached to a couple of exposed beams in the upstairs gym. They hang straight down and each have virtually no horizontal footprint.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 am

Currently in my semi-secure front yard mostly undercover unless the rain is really sideways.

In other locations it has been both inside and outside in the rain. As long as I can store it such that I can get it and leave within a minute I am happy.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 am

human909 wrote:Currently in my semi-secure front yard mostly undercover unless the rain is really sideways.

In other locations it has been both inside and outside in the rain. As long as I can store it such that I can get it and leave within a minute I am happy.

That's refreshing, someone who does not treat their bike like it is the Crown Jewels of Britain. 8)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 am

I’m glad I have sufficient garage space, and always have. Before i for my own place the exit was through the house, so sometimes they didn’t get put away fully, but it was a largely unused room with rendered walls and tiled floors so hard to damage.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:16 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
human909 wrote:Currently in my semi-secure front yard mostly undercover unless the rain is really sideways.

That's refreshing, someone who does not treat their bike like it is the Crown Jewels of Britain. 8)

That's great until your bike is stolen and you have to get another one. Mine stay inside where I've got some stands, it's not secure to leave things outside in my area.

Even your unicycle would be gone in no time if left outside, probably trashed and then dumped somewhere.

One of my bikes is permanently on a trainer, and another that I ride frequently is near the front door so I can just grab it and go.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 am

Mine have their own bedroom. The joys of being an empty nester. Complete with robes for the clothing etc., desk for the electrics and cupboards for the spares/tools. Before that, in the pseudo-gym, under the house.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 am

Car on the street, bikes in the garage.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:That's refreshing, someone who does not treat their bike like it is the Crown Jewels of Britain. 8)

A combination of:
-not having a bikes worth an amount approaching that of the crown jewels.
-not being concerned by rain on a bicycle as in my lengthy experience and as the Dutch would say "they aren't made of sugar"
-being trusting of the society around me (statistically my area isn't exactly low crime)

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 am

Some of us commute long distances each week, so lack of maintenance and care of the commuter bike tends to become noticeable, with the bike being noisier and tougher to ride.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Some of us commute long distances each week, so lack of maintenance and care of the commuter bike tends to become noticeable, with the bike being noisier and tougher to ride.

That has little to do with where a bicycle is parked.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 am

human909 wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:Some of us commute long distances each week, so lack of maintenance and care of the commuter bike tends to become noticeable, with the bike being noisier and tougher to ride.

That has little to do with where a bicycle is parked.

It has everything to do with it. I value my bicycle, so I keep it indoors, because rust can easily build up if it's left outdoors.

By the way, if you have a problem with what I posted in this thread, and think it's off-topic, then feel free to contact the moderators. I think my previous post was on topic.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am

I have no issue with your post being off topic. Just pointing out a few realities and putting to rest the false implications you made about those parking their bikes outside not valuing them.] Of course you are more than welcome to keep you bicycle inside.

Cyclophiliac wrote:It has everything to do with it. I value my bicycle

So do most of us including me.

Cyclophiliac wrote:so I keep it indoors because rust can easily build up if it's left outdoors.

Can it? What is your bike made of mild steel? Cast iron? I have bikes that are decades old which haven't rusted. How old are your bikes?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

I'm pretty familiar with your argumentative tendencies, in this forum and the old BV one, so no further comment from me. Feel free to have the last word.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am

I recently installed one of those bike lock anchors at the front of my house so my wife can park her bike quickly and easily instead of wrestling with the garage door out the back (it's old and heavy.) I must say, I love having a bike out the front of our house and it's out of the weather save for really pelting rain - in which case I'll probably move it to the garage.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 am

Colin,

Given you are parking a unicycle, I'd expect you to get only half as much grief...

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 am

When I was single & in an apartment I had 2 road bikes & flat bar inside & one MB on the balcony.
Then a year & a half ago I moved into a house with my now fiancé & gave the flat bar to future Father in Law as I didn't ride it anymore. MB was given away as it was totally unloved & unused. Both road bikes currently reside in the garage. We are looking at sheds at the moment to go in the backyard & the bike not currently in use will most likely live there.
Thankfully the fiancé pretty cool and understands the bikes need care. :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 am

No grief at all - her Colnago has pride of place in the living room (mine is regulated to the spare bedroom).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Back in my single days, my bikes had their own room, but now we have a four-bike household in a tiiiny duplex and a (not-even) 3-bike shed. Remember those sliding-tiles puzzle game things you had as a kid? Yeah that's us getting the bikes in and out errr'day. You might be pleased to know that both my bikes got spots inside, BF's semi-retired spare was relegated to the shed-verandah with the wheelbarrow & other detritus.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 pm

The two bikes that I ride most other days are in the dining room and I get grief about that most other days as well.

Sometimes when I come home they have been "moved" outside, my cycling shoes and helmet have been thrown out the back, anything I had sitting around the house is in a pile in my wardrobe, the dinner isn't cooked, clothes haven't been washed and there's definitely nothing sweet for desert....... Women eh?

The other bikes are spread between the basement/storage and two garages.