The grief of parking your bike in the house...

gorilla monsoon

Re: The grief of parking your bike in the house...

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

My two-car garage has a very high ceiling so the four bikes are each pulled-up towards the ceiling on a pulley system bought from Aldi for about $10 each. There is (just) enough height for me to walk underneath them with ducking my head and the adjustable pulleys make working on the bikes easy.
The car lives on one side, bikes on the other and riding gear, bibs and bobs, etc goes in a tall pantry cupboard saved from the kitchen renovation a few years ago.A door connects garage to house so entry and exit is easy.
Won't climb, can't sprint.

Roger Ramjet: Giant CRX3
Lady Penelope: Avanti Cadent
Barry Allen: Specialized Sirrus Expert

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 pm

When I lived in central London in a 2 bed apartment, 1 bike in the front room in the bay window area and 2 in the spare bedroom.

Now living in Brisbane, own a house with a triple garage, own 1 car, and I have ample room for my 6 bikes. :D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Try housing tandems, they are so much longer than a unicycle or bike. Currently have 4, plus 6 singles spread over the family, most located in the garage, two around the back.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm

1 x roadie and 4x MTB the garage and storage room. No room for the car. That used to be because the car was worth less than the bikes, but after buying the Levorg last year that's no longer true.

19 or so years ago I had the car in the driveway a couple of days while I was doing some R/C car stuff (building a pit box or something, can't remember) and the missus decided to sneak in a chest of drawers in from out of the house when I wasn't looking and the car would no longer fit. :evil: It's been outside ever since.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Since I ride steel and aluminum bikes, I have two bikes in my bedroom right now. I live 10minutes from the beach so corrosion is a thing after a week or 2 my steel bike would be weeping. My ally bike is in too good of a condition to risk corrosion. So inside they come and they are sitting on a bike stand.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:37 pm

madmacca wrote:Colin,

Given you are parking a unicycle, I'd expect you to get only half as much grief...

Except that my wife is twice as harsh as she should be. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Bikes lives in the study which in the front of the house and near the garage door entry/exit.

My previous one lived in the garage until I left it open for 30 minutes when I went to get a haircut and the bike must have ridden itself away.

Picked up a wicked insurance replacement that now lives in teh study when it is not on the road or on the trainer.
Roadie: Merida Scultura Team 2017 with SpeedPlay pedals
MTB: TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:My two-car garage has a very high ceiling so the four bikes are each pulled-up towards the ceiling on a pulley system bought from Aldi for about $10 each. There is (just) enough height for me to walk underneath them with ducking my head and the adjustable pulleys make working on the bikes easy.
The car lives on one side, bikes on the other and riding gear, bibs and bobs, etc goes in a tall pantry cupboard saved from the kitchen renovation a few years ago.A door connects garage to house so entry and exit is easy.

that's a similar set-up to mine.

got a fairly big DLUG with tall ceiling. it's where we keep our 9 bikes - 3x road, 1 cx, 1 flatbar, 1 mtb, 1x 24-inch, 1x 20-inch, 1x 16-inch (half of them are used by my 2 kids, wife just started using my cx bikes) - child bike trailer, 4x kid scooters, SUV and my DC2R.... radio control equipment, drone, tabletennis table, etc .. !
3 bikes are stored upright on bike hooks mounted to the wall. 2 bikes are on a bike stand. remaining bikes are leaning against each other waiting for additional hooks to be installed.

keeping the bikes in the garage means i can easily sneak out of the house for weekend rides or early commute without waking anyone else in the household.

i am inclined to hang 1 or 2 of the bikes indoor, more for security rather than aesthetics reason. i just haven't broached the idea with the wife ... yet ...

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

My bike lives in the large garage-sized shed, which is in our gated back yard. So it's safe there. Also nice and dry - I don't have rust problems.

Even though there's a bit more space as kids begin to move out, I don't think keeping it inside is an option, especially during winter when it gets wet or dirty (since I commute with it unless the weather is really wet). Though now I think of it, my teenage son takes his BMX inside...

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:45 pm

We have a huge garage, I think you could fit 4 cars in it (maybe, never tried) but it not even remotely secure, or waterproof at the moment, so there's only junk in there...all the bikes live in their own room, with the workstand and tools etc. Currently 7 bikes in there, any more and things will get difficult to arrange.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 pm

1 road bike lives in our hallway, the other road bike lives in the laundry and my MTB lives in the garage.
I don't get any grief about it, but the bike in the hallway is at risk of being knocked over by my kids running around.
I overtook some people going uphill once.