Good Bike Light For Night Rides

Defy The Odds

Good Bike Light For Night Rides

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 pm

I went out the other night in the burbs with my Cateye Volt 300 which was ok because most of it was lit up but I want to venture out and further. I find night rides peaceful.

Any recommendations on lights that are brighter than the volt and last at least 2 hours ?

Want something with a low profile too

Cheers

g-boaf

Re: Good Bike Light For Night Rides

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm

I think Ay-Up lights are still some of the most dependable. Separate battery but still fairly unobtrusive.

I've had mine for god knows how many years and they run brilliantly still. They will easily cover your needs.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am

How about something like this? You can buy separate batteries it seems and even globes. I generally like Knog products also:

https://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/ ... iew-51623/

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

Previously I've ran two sets of Ay-Ups but didnt like the bulk and mess of mounting batteries on the frame.

Moved over to two sets of Supernova Airstreams 2 which arguably have been my best lights to date in terms of usable light throw and running time. However they failed altogether after a few years which made them very expensive (almost $300 each).

Now using a Ravemen PR1200 which lasts 3.5 hours in 'road cycling mode' (600 lumns). Other benefits are the beam cutoff so it doesnt glare oncoming traffic, and a high beam mode (1200 lumens) if you ever need extra light. It's mounted in the centre out in front like a computer (i dont use a computer) so it fits the profile very nicely and is inline with the stem.

Havent really had the chance to give it a good use as I bought it just before summer started. Will have to wait another month or two to test her out in winter :)
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

I got one of these for night rides after work last winter http://road.cc/content/review/211117-mo ... -storm-pro. Whilst it's not the lightest light around (the light by itself is 200g), I use it in the 850 lumen mode and it lasts for roughly 4 hours. Really good beam pattern and lots of different modes.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm

g-boaf wrote:I think Ay-Up lights are still some of the most dependable. Separate battery but still fairly unobtrusive.

I've had mine for god knows how many years and they run brilliantly still. They will easily cover your needs.
Another vote from me for AyUp lights. They're reliable, bright enough, and have excellent battery life. As for the battery packs not being aerodynamic, well I'm not riding in a professional race so I really wouldn't notice the difference it makes.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Yes, I have AYUP as well and it's been pretty reliable and puts out decent light but the seperate battery is a bit of a hassle and haven't really evolved much since their release plus they are pretty pricey at almost $300.

You can buy a front light with internal battery that pumps out ~700 lumens plus like the Moon Meteor or Raveman for a lot less $$ than AYUP (Moon Meteor is <$100).

https://www.merlincycles.com/ravemen-pr ... 01142.html
https://www.probikekit.com.au/cycling-a ... 09569.html

Here's a review of a bunch of other lights that may confusehelp you more!

http://road.cc/category/review-section/ ... ghts-front

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I think Ay-Up lights are still some of the most dependable. Separate battery but still fairly unobtrusive.

Another vote from me for AyUp lights. They're reliable, bright enough, and have excellent battery life. As for the battery packs not being aerodynamic, well I'm not riding in a professional race so I really wouldn't notice the difference it makes.
If they aren't aerodynamic, then it sure doesn't slow me down.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:

Sorry, if I implied that it did, then my post was worded badly. My comment on aerodynamics had nothing to do with what you posted, so my apologies if I offended you.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote: Another vote from me for AyUp lights. They're reliable, bright enough, and have excellent battery life. As for the battery packs not being aerodynamic, well I'm not riding in a professional race so I really wouldn't notice the difference it makes.
Sorry, if I implied that it did, then my post was worded badly. My comment on aerodynamics had nothing to do with what you posted, so my apologies if I offended you.
Far from it, I'm in agreement with you. At night, dependable lights are the go. No matter if it has an external battery- as long as it keeps going and is bright enough to see clearly in dark areas.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 am

AyUps. I bought a small, el cheapo bar top bag and the battery lives in that along with a couple of other things (ID and my emergency $10 note). Putting the battery in there keeps it out of the weather (I know, the batteries are pretty much weatherproof), makes it easily accessible so I don't have to have Velcro ties to undo and do-up whenever the battery needs charging.
Yes, AyUps might be relatively expensive but geez, they last forever, unlike a coupe of other brands (bought for other bikes) which pretty much self-destructed over relatively short periods of time.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

there are also many good lights with internal batteries .. e.g.

cygolite expilion 750/800 <-- I personally own the 750. Hardly use the Boost mode. Medium mode is more than enough for my winter night commutes.

Cateye Volt 800
Bontrager Ion 800
Exposure Strada

just to name a few ..

kb

Postby kb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I really like Exposure. Pricey but solid. Accidentally left one in a car park and it worked fine after being driven over :-). Can also order a cable that lets you charge from it.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Haven't had any first hand experience with this light but I see Cell Bikes are selling an Azur 1000 Lumen All-In-One USB Head Light for $24.04 this week.

https://www.cellthisweek.com/collection ... 7216804892

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Ross wrote:Haven't had any first hand experience with this light but I see Cell Bikes are selling an Azur 1000 Lumen All-In-One USB Head Light for $24.04 this week.

https://www.cellthisweek.com/collection ... 7216804892

Ross that's awesome thank you I think I'll be purchasing one of these. For $25 can't go wrong really. May get two and have a second on the bars as a backup in case I decide I'm having a great time and want to stay out longer

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

I have Ay-Ups also & a Cateye on another bike.
Don't remember the price, but both work great. Had the Ay-Up for about 8 years & still works a treat. Just valcro the battery on the top tube. All good.
Cateye Volt 800, bought a few years ago now, it has about 5 different settings including flashing & 3 settings of solid beams, so it lasts fine & is a good light.
My own theory on lights is I am happy to spend a little more so that I am giving myself the best chance of being seen on the road.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:04 am

I ended up buying the Azur lights that Ross kindly advised me of.

At $24 each for 1000 lumens can't go wrong. I bought two and for night rides I'll have both strapped and keep one as a backup.

Thank you all for your responses !