Tread peeling off new Michelin pro4 service course

eeksll

Tread peeling off new Michelin pro4 service course

Postby eeksll » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am

Anyone had this before? Common issue?

My gp4000s tyre had a hole blown in it from a punctured tube. Keen to try the first different tyre and then notice this.

:evil:

uart

Re: Tread peeling off new Michelin pro4 service course

Postby uart » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:44 pm

eeksll wrote:Anyone had this before? Common issue?

My gp4000s tyre had a hole blown in it from a punctured tube. Keen to try the first different tyre and then notice this.
I've never seen that before on a new tyre, looks like a manufacturing fault to me. Definitely return it if you can.

BTW. The gp400s probably had damage to the casing that allowed the tube to "escape" and blow up. It's really unusual for it to happen the other way around, for a punctured tube to blow the hole in the tyre.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 pm

uart wrote:
eeksll wrote:Anyone had this before? Common issue?

I've never seen that before on a new tyre, looks like a manufacturing fault to me. Definitely return it if you can.

BTW. The gp400s probably had damage to the casing that allowed the tube to "escape" and blow up. It's really unusual for it to happen the other way around, for a punctured tube to blow the hole in the tyre.
unfoprtunately I got it second hand here so no returning.

I have not had time to properly investigate/look at the blow out. But I suspect your correct here. I found the puncture on the tube but after aligning it with the tyre, I couldn't really see anything on the tyre. New tube in, got home and repaired the flat tube.

Went and put that repaired tube back in the tyre (I prefer to ride on a patched tube and carrying a unblemished spare tube). Pumped up and then a few mintues later another puncture at a different spot but could clearly see a "ripped" tyre where the air was coming out.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 am

Hard to tell from pics, but that actually looks like delamination. I would bet that tyre has either spent time on a static trainer prior to you acquiring, or was part of a bad batch, or both. Some tyres don't like trainer usage.

I've never seen it on bike tyres, have actually experienced it on a car (track car).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm

I suspect it is new. The waxxy coat is still all over the tyre.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm

eeksll wrote:I suspect it is new. The waxxy coat is still all over the tyre.
My brand new Michelin tyres never had a waxy coating like that depicted in your photo.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm

The texture and colour of that looks like a really old tyre to me that has been left out in the elements.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Could have been a bad batch or it could have been badly stored. Either way though, I'll bet that the secondhand seller knew that they were "off" and was looking for a mug to offload them to.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm

uart wrote:Could have been a bad batch or it could have been badly stored. Either way though, I'll bet that the secondhand seller knew that they were "off" and was looking for a mug to offload them to.
I thought this as well...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
uart wrote:Could have been a bad batch or it could have been badly stored. Either way though, I'll bet that the secondhand seller knew that they were "off" and was looking for a mug to offload them to.
:(

tempted to buy a service course tyre to see. Also wandering if I should use the other on the front since its got the same waxxy substance and in general all round appearance as the one in the photo except tread isnt coming off.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

eeksll wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
:(

tempted to buy a service course tyre to see. Also wandering if I should use the other on the front since its got the same waxxy substance and in general all round appearance as the one in the photo except tread isnt coming off.
As long as the fault doesn't involve the casing then yes it should be safe to use the other one on the front. Run it for a while and keep an eye on it in case it also starts delaminating. But that type of fault is more likely to progress slowly rather than sudden catastrophic failure.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:50 pm

so seems like you guys might be right, this is the front tyre. I haven't had a chance to ride the road bike yet, probably a good thing giving the circumstances.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Yep that's buggered