I broke my bike..and my heart. Oops I did it AGAIN!

TheWall

I broke my bike..and my heart. Oops I did it AGAIN!

Postby TheWall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I am a little heartbroken... :cry:

My 2013 Specialized Roubaix, my 1st good quality bike, the bike that reignited my love for all things cycling after not riding for almost 4 years, the bike I lost 25kg on, the bike that I have made some great friendships with, the bike I have nicknamed "The Caddy" because despite not being the fastest it was just so damn comfortable (especially with the recently fitted 28mm tyres), the bike that you could just happily ride all day, the bike the bike that I actually enjoy riding more than my 2016 SWorks Tarmac...has died.

A badly cracked frame around the BB (I know what you are all thinking...#toomuchpower :lol:) is not,in the opinion of the LBS, repairable. A warranty claim is in as I bought it new but we will see...but even if replaced, it won't be the same :(

Will I get over this?

Matt
Last edited by TheWall on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

g-boaf

Re: I broke my bike..and my heart.

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Bad luck. :(

I still have the bike I started with - upgraded a bit, but still in very good condition. I'll never part with it for much the same reason you've said.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

TheWall wrote:
...but even if replaced, it won't be the same :(

Will I get over this?

Matt
Honestly, probably not fully.

I hope Specialized come thru with a nice new glossy frame, and you can at least immerse yourself in building that up. Post some pics of the new one when you've built it up, I do like a Specialized (I always liked the late 70s Allez, nothing fancy, just a nice bike...plus I'm getting older).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

My condolences for your loss :( Our bikes become partners on the adventures we have.

On the upside though, the new Roubaix is supposed to be amazing.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

We go everywhere with our bikes, so a new frame is rarely the same experience. Sorry to say that. I hope you get a replacement one though.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:29 pm

if you haven't already; religiously take note of frame dimensions and fit (stack/reach) details before the bikes ultimate fate is decided or at least before it's dismantled.

Just jumping on another new/replacement bike always brings quick subjective comparisons - but you want to be a little bit methodical about it.

Take your time; don't go for the immediate rebound relationship. That's bound to cause you more grief in the long term! :lol:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you lads. Much appreciated. Remain a bit gutted...showers forecast tomorrow and so The Caddy was the go to bike for wet rides. I keep looking for it in its storage spot as I walk around the house.

Have not heard back about warranty yet which I guess adds to the unease.

isabellaerickson

Postby isabellaerickson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 am

so sad news bro, bikes as like the girlfriend. :lol:

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 am

TheWall wrote:I am a little heartbroken... :cry:
A badly cracked frame around the BB (I know what you are all thinking...#toomuchpower :lol:) is not,in the opinion of the LBS, repairable. A warranty claim is in as I bought it new but we will see...but even if replaced, it won't be the same :(
Must be the season for it!

I had similar happen on my Scultura last week - the frame just gave out when starting from stationary. Unfortunately, Advance Traders/Merida Aus have denied my warranty claim, saying it's from an impact.

Time for me to go bike shopping I think!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Contact http://luescherteknik.com.au and see if they can fix it. Possibly not financially viable being a 2013 model but if you really like the bike and it has sentimental value to you then it may be worth it. Alternatively look around eBay, Gumtree and Bicycle Marketplace and see if you can find a new (secondhand) frame or even complete bike.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:48 pm

TheWall wrote: A badly cracked frame around the BB (
... how did that happen?

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm

I think my original post referred to the reason...(too much power) ba ha.

I am not a guru but the cracking is circular so maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this. No word on the warranty claim yet...

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 pm

I mean how did you discover the cracks?

For context, there are a number of expert materials scientists in the bike community who are standing by assure us that carbon is liable to fail catastrophically with no warning. Common cirumstances include, for example, while descending at speed, or while trying to keep up with riders on steel bikes. :roll:

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:03 pm

I like to wave to Steelies...when I pass them lol.

The 1st sign was what felt like chain slip...and then I noticed there was a little lateral movement of the chain rings and then some 'slippage' when turning the pedals...

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Howzat wrote:I mean how did you discover the cracks?

For context, there are a number of expert materials scientists in the bike community who are standing by assure us that carbon is liable to fail catastrophically with no warning. Common cirumstances include, for example, while descending at speed, or while trying to keep up with riders on steel bikes. :roll:
The common myth is that carbon will make you faster... because its more aero... On the other hand most people wont notice the difference in terms of their Strava times. Training makes you faster, not bikes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Kronos wrote:

The common myth is that carbon will make you faster... because its more aero... On the other hand most people wont notice the difference in terms of their Strava times. Training makes you faster, not bikes.
Training can only do so much. The right bike does make a difference, you can't argue that. In speed and comfort. I'm fortunate to have a bike that is not just fast, but really comfortable.

Strava times are fairly pointless unless it is a 10km+ climb of a decent gradient. Otherwise people just wait for the right weather conditions and go grab the time with a huge tailwind.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Kronos wrote:

Training can only do so much. The right bike does make a difference, you can't argue that. In speed and comfort. I'm fortunate to have a bike that is not just fast, but really comfortable.

Strava times are fairly pointless unless it is a 10km+ climb of a decent gradient. Otherwise people just wait for the right weather conditions and go grab the time with a huge tailwind.
I can argue with that. The vast majority of people who buy a carbon bike will go out the next day and won't go 1 second faster, thats a fact. If you're getting passed regularly by a person on a bike, it's because they're a better rider, it has almost nothing to do with the bike they're riding.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Thread derail in progress!!!! Please take the carbon vs steel debate elsewhere.

But before I take my bat and ball and go home I will add...

My bikes...a Roubaix and a Tarmac. Same brand, same material but very different machines. The Roubaix was (sniff!) certainly not as fast as the Tarmac in almost all conditions but definitely a better bike for a long climb. More compliant geometry was my theory for that one.

I have noticed that to get the best out of me on my Tarmac is that I needed to work on core strength to handle the lower front end and more race bred geometry. So this has been big focus recently with a couple of core strength sessions built in per week. Similar aerobic fitness level (I say this because I also trained "heavy" by adding fatter tyres onto Roubaix), same bike(s). Much faster riding over both short and long Strava Segments inc the long climbs.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I didn't say anything about steel bikes :lol: If you think your bike is going to make you significantly faster you have other issues going on. There is almost no professional bike fitter that will agree to this principle other than to sell you a more expensive bike. What a bike is made of does not determine its weight either :lol:

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 am

Anyway, back to the country.....

No, you probably won't....... Sorry, first hand experience and all.....

I lusted after an Orbea Orca after seeing Euskadel riding them at the tour. Long story short my wife surprised me with one and it was the best thing I'd ever ridden. Floated up the hills, carved the curves coming back down, looked the bomb just sitting still, it was just the ducks nuts.

Fast forward three short years, I'm doing 40kmh on a tailwind when a Wolfhound decided the bike and I needed to be laying down. Bent carbon frame, broken carbon cranks. Insurance job. Blah.

It still hangs on my shed wall in the hope that one day when everything else is paid for I can send it off for repair. The Fondriest that replaced it is magic and probably more suited to where I live now, but there's always the lingering thought of what could've been.

Some consolation for you is getting another Specialized, I wasn't looking for another bike, it took a couple of weeks to find one I was happy with.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for bringing it back to topic Cardy George!

And just for an update folks...Specialized has honoured the frame warranty and a new frame is on the way...happy with that! It is the SL4 model but the black and white colour set rather than my black and red.

Matt

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 pm

TheWall wrote:Thanks for bringing it back to topic Cardy George!

And just for an update folks...Specialized has honoured the frame warranty and a new frame is on the way...happy with that! It is the SL4 model but the black and white colour set rather than my black and red.

Matt
Good to hear, glad you didn't get forked over..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Good stuff, I had a similar issue with my giant last yr. took about a week for the warranty ok, then only a few days for new frame to arrive, from memory only about 2 weeks in total off bike, I hope you're experience is as smooth

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Cheers 10speed and lad to hear similar FE.

Got the new/old bike back today so all up it was 2 weeks all up so I am pretty impressed.

Special thanks to my LBS Cyclezone at Mooloolaba for truly fantastic service and for Specialized for backing up their product with a great warranty and a very quick turnaround.

Maiden voyage tomorrow but just need a new name as I need to retire "The Caddy" out of respect.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 am

Great stuff. Let us know what differences you can feel between old faithful and the new steed.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!