Sitting on the top tube.

Thoglette

Re: Sitting on the top tube.

Postby Thoglette » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:23 pm

LG wrote:Goddammit, I've been doing it wrong all these years, I apologize to all and sundry for my mistake. My error is having my right foot remain clipped in and genitals on the left side of the tube. I will work to rectify my error! :lol:
Funny, I come from a m'cycle background so I always unclip the left foot - after all, the right pedal on a m'cycle is the back brake* and one is taught to use that when coming to a stop.

*on conventional modern motorcycles. YMMV on older bikes.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

LG

Postby LG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:
LG wrote:Goddammit, I've been doing it wrong all these years, I apologize to all and sundry for my mistake. My error is having my right foot remain clipped in and genitals on the left side of the tube. I will work to rectify my error! :lol:
Funny, I come from a m'cycle background so I always unclip the left foot - after all, the right pedal on a m'cycle is the back brake* and one is taught to use that when coming to a stop.

Yes, that's probably where my 'mistake' arose as well. I grew up on a farm and as a result with motorbikes, didn't really start riding pushys until moving to the big smoke (an inland rural town) in my late teens.
LG = Low Gear

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 pm

LG wrote:
Thoglette wrote:

Yes, that's probably where my 'mistake' arose as well. I grew up on a farm and as a result with motorbikes, didn't really start riding pushys until moving to the big smoke (an inland rural town) in my late teens.
I unclip the left foot so I can rest it on the kerb and don't have to sit on the TT. Does mean my LHS cleats wear out faster than my RHS ones tho...
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:06 am

uart wrote:I don't want to get too prescriptive, but ...

The bike must be tilted over to the right, at an angle of between 12 and 18 degrees from vertical. The left foot should remain clipped in, with the left crank at a forward angle of between 80 and 110 degrees from vertical, while the unclipped right leg should extend to the ground and be kept dead straight.

The left buttocks or left hip bone should align with the nose of the saddle, whilst ALL of the genitals should remain entirely on the right hand side of (and NOT in contact with) the top tube.

The right hand should be placed on the right hip, while the left forearm rests casually on the quadriceps of the bent left leg (or alternatively, both hands may remain on the hoods if departure is imminent). The left hamstring muscles should rest gently on the top tube to help stabilise the bike, but as mentioned above there must strictly be no genital contact.

Anyone who doesn't sit on their bike in exactly this manner while stationary is a total mug and should be thoroughly ridiculed. ;)
Oh hang on, a great deal of this would relate to left or right side dominance. For example, if you're a right side dominant person, logically you'd want to keep your right foot clipped in for the initial power kick of the line, and everything else should be aligned to optimise that initial power stroke. Conversely, if you're a left side-dominant person, everything will be mirrored to suit.

And if you're ambidextrous, well you can either unclip both feet & be left floundering while the rest blast you off at the lights, or try to trackstand and inevitably unclip one or both feet a split second before the light turns green.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

Duck! wrote: or try to trackstand and inevitably unclip one or both feet a split second before the light turns green.
Happens all the time :)

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Duck! wrote: or try to trackstand and inevitably unclip one or both feet a split second before the light turns green.
Just as your foot kisses the bitumen - the very moment - the lights change. How do they do that?

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 pm

duncan16v wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote:
Just as your foot kisses the bitumen - the very moment - the lights change. How do they do that?
Haha, I had that happen just the morning. The very moment I unclipped. :)

Pro Tip: Never wait until the last second to unclip with a brand new set of pedals on the very first ride. Guess how I learnt this. ;)
Last edited by uart on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Duck! wrote: Oh hang on, a great deal of this would relate to left or right side dominance.
Yes, obviously my post was in jest. :D What I did there is pretty much just describe exactly how I normally sit on my bike (angles all just guesstimated). But yeah, I am left side dominant (left handed and left footed), so most people would more likely do the mirror image of that. :)

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am

Never really thought about it but I always un-clip the left foot first too. Probably also from motorbike days. Haven't ridden one for more than 20 years. Funny how old habits die hard.

Actually I try to avoid unclipping at all if I can. I try to anticipate the lights (we only have one set). Drives the motorists insane.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 pm

silentC wrote:Actually I try to avoid unclipping at all if I can. I try to anticipate the lights (we only have one set). Drives the motorists insane.
Same, but I also do the slow roll up when driving :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
silentC wrote:Actually I try to avoid unclipping at all if I can. I try to anticipate the lights (we only have one set). Drives the motorists insane.
Same, but I also do the slow roll up when driving :oops:
If there is no other turning lane, and the light is red why not? Its actually more efficient and better on your car in terms of wear and tear and consumables to roll up to the lights rather than speed directly up to the lights at the legal limit and jam on the brakes. This I see all the time whenever I have to drive into Brisbane, but I still don't get why people do it.

To return to the subject of bikes, it's also more efficient on your bike, brake wear and sudden stopping that causes stress on your frame is a thing on bikes also.