Sitting on the top tube.

duncan16v

Sitting on the top tube.

Postby duncan16v » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

Why?

It makes you look like you're giving your bum a good seeing to.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Sitting on the top tube.

Postby Duck! » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 am

1: It tucks the body into a smaller more aerodyniamic profile, reducing drag, allowing the rider to go faster.

2: It lowers the centre of gravity on the bike, improving stability and allowing the rider to go faster.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

Whilst moving or stopped? I do it a lot while stopped, but I can't get that low when I'm moving 8)

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am

3. it leaves room on the saddle for someone else?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am

familyguy wrote:Whilst moving or stopped? I do it a lot while stopped, but I can't get that low when I'm moving 8)

Jim
+1. While stopped its like a seat while you're waiting. But yes Ive never tried to get that aero on the down hill. :o
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am

duncan16v wrote:Why?

Try it at 65km/h going downhill. Someone I was riding with did it and took off like a scalded cat. I've done it myself a few times, it doesn't seem worth it for the gain in speed, and it doesn't feel more stable either. It's also not allowed in club level racing here if I remember right.

http://centralcoastcyclingclub.com.au/f ... pic=4211.0

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm waiting to see a pro rider use a dropper seat post to achieve a similar aero position but still be able to pedal somewhat.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

familyguy wrote:Whilst moving or stopped? I do it a lot while stopped, but I can't get that low when I'm moving 8)

Jim
To clarify: while stopped. At the lights. On the morning commute.

I mean, if you've just climbed Mont Ventoux, I geddit. If you've just descended Brunswick Street, then maybe you should either a) HTFU, or b) be more diligent apres tolilettes as it were.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

When stopped for a period of time, try sitting on the top tube facing backwards with your forearms resting on the seat. It's very comfortable.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Some more ideas for you here. These will really impress your fellow commuters.

"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

duncan16v wrote:

Jim

I mean, if you've just climbed Mont Ventoux, I geddit. If you've just descended Brunswick Street, then maybe you should either a) HTFU, or b) be more diligent apres tolilettes as it were.
Better than keeping my butt on the seat and awkwardly rocking from side to side on tip-toes.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

LG

Postby LG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm

silentC wrote:When stopped for a period of time, try sitting on the top tube facing backwards with your forearms resting on the seat. It's very comfortable.
Did you attempt to mount a horse by putting the wrong foot in the stirrup?
LG = Low Gear

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Duck! wrote:2: It lowers the centre of gravity on the bike, improving stability and allowing the rider to go faster.
Stability yes - but not necessarily control which is the biggest disadvantage.
Cycling is in my BNA

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm going to get slaughtered but I don't care... Because its the trend of the day, because the European Continental riders, and Pro Tour riders are doing it. Nothing more really. If we want to look at the latest "wonder" trend of sitting on the seat post while going down hill was it not the fact that a more "traditional" aero position of Marco Pantani was actually quicker than sitting on the seat post the way Froomie does? I refer as below:

bychosis wrote:3. it leaves room on the saddle for someone else?
Someone with competent bike handling skills? :lol: Sorry to be a retro grouch, but honestly I don't see any point or benefit in this trend. If you take away where Pantani is sitting, it's an almost perfect example of classic form. This is certainly my preference to the way things are now done.

The benefit to the above position of Froome is that it is said that he can still pedal. But at what point does it become the case that peddling is energy counterproductive? We reach a point we can go 2 to 3km/hr faster, but at what expense to our energy stores do we achieve that? And is Froomies peddling actually helping his descending speed in any significant way, shape or form?

My personal preference is still to use a classic fit with a bike frame measured to the millimeter and to use the drops if I really want to be aero.
Last edited by Kronos on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am

Kronos wrote:

I'm going to get slaughtered but I don't care... Because its the trend of the day, because the European Continental riders, and Pro Tour riders are doing it. Nothing more really. If we want to look at the latest "wonder" trend of sitting on the seat post while going down hill was it not the fact that a more "traditional" aero position of Marco Pantani was actually quicker than sitting on the seat post the way...etc etc
You've missed the part where he said "While stopped"...

duncan16v wrote:
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 am

While stopped... if I'm unclipped while stopped, I'll sit on the top tube because my fitment allows me to. It's reasonably comfortable while waiting at the lights (for a short period of time). This is a thing that traditional fitment allows you to do, I can have a seat position where I can't touch the ground and I can slide onto the bar and sit there as you would lean on any other post while waiting for the lights to change.

Also if its good enough for Eddy Merckx it's good enough for the rest of us

Last edited by Kronos on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 am

While I admit that there's nothing cooler than Merckx in that pic, if the bloke in front of me waiting at the lights does that I'm gonna be miffed :lol:

And the knicks...bring back that length. The modern length sucks for us short blokes.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:44 am

Kronos wrote:While stopped... if I'm unclipped while stopped, I'll sit on the seat post because my fitment allows me to. It's reasonably comfortable while waiting at the lights (for a short period of time). This is a thing that traditional fitment allows you to do, I can have a seat position where I can't touch the ground and I can slide onto the bar and sit there as you would lean on any other post while waiting for the lights to change.
How long is reasonably comfortable when sitting on a seat post before you need to head off to hospital?

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 am

I don't know about you guys/the people you are seeing, but for me "sitting on the seat tube" doesn't mean having a cheek each side, it means resting the upper thigh of one leg on the tube, so the other is flat on the ground.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 am

It's certainly more comfortable on a modern CF frame than on the old round section tube steel frames. Mine has a nice flat spot up near the head tube.
- Me

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm

baabaa wrote:
Kronos wrote:While stopped... if I'm unclipped while stopped, I'll sit on the seat post because my fitment allows me to. It's reasonably comfortable while waiting at the lights (for a short period of time). This is a thing that traditional fitment allows you to do, I can have a seat position where I can't touch the ground and I can slide onto the bar and sit there as you would lean on any other post while waiting for the lights to change.
How long is reasonably comfortable when sitting on a seat post before you need to head off to hospital?
I've never had a problem with it to that extent to find out :lol:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:01 pm

duncan16v wrote:To clarify: while stopped. At the lights. On the morning commute.
I'm with you Duncan. It looks ridiculous. Also you've probably been sitting on the saddle 95% of the time until then and probably don't need a little sit down while stopped at the lights...

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:18 pm

hamishm wrote:
duncan16v wrote:To clarify: while stopped. At the lights. On the morning commute.
I'm with you Duncan. It looks ridiculous. Also you've probably been sitting on the saddle 95% of the time until then and probably don't need a little sit down while stopped at the lights...
Can you explain why I would bother to unclip completely and stand by my bike or whatever it is you're doing? It may look ridiculous to you but if I don't have to unclip both feet and I can set off more quickly at the lights who is being ridiculous

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Kronos wrote:Can you explain why I would bother to unclip completely and stand by my bike or whatever it is you're doing? It may look ridiculous to you but if I don't have to unclip both feet and I can set off more quickly at the lights who is being ridiculous
Who said anything about unclipping? I stand, one foot clipped in, the other leg straight.

Now you are being ridiculous because this is quite obvious.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

hamishm wrote:
Kronos wrote:Can you explain why I would bother to unclip completely and stand by my bike or whatever it is you're doing? It may look ridiculous to you but if I don't have to unclip both feet and I can set off more quickly at the lights who is being ridiculous
Who said anything about unclipping? I stand, one foot clipped in, the other leg straight.

Now you are being ridiculous because this is quite obvious.
It's not obvious until you state what you're doing. I'm not a mind reader.