Should you be forced to sell your bikes?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should you be forced to sell your bikes?

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Any genuine cyclist knows the n+1 rule.

But what happens when you run out of space? Or what happens if your SO (Significant Other) regular questions the number of bikes you own and can't understand why you can't ride your mountain bike on the velodrome... after all, the both have two wheels and pedals. But what if you are questioning the number of bikes and asking if you really do need one in each colour just to match your socks?

Our society tells us that consumption is good - so buying new things (even second-hand) makes the world go around. But are imposed or self imposed rules that break n+1 good or necessary.

In essence, I am curious if members have identified the optimal number of bikes which they can own so are then compelled to sell bikes if they exceed this.... and activity put it into practice. Are there any rules (e.g. have to ride each bike at least once a year to justify keeping it).
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Re: Should you be forced to sell your bikes?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm

As I said to my brother when I bought my last bike from an elderly gentleman whose wife told him to sell the bike. If my SO ever told me to sell my bike it would be time for a new SO.

spannermonkey

Postby spannermonkey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 am

I store a couple of bikes at my mums & 1 at a mates factory
I have another 6 bikes in a 1 bedroom flat

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 am

Kronos wrote:As I said to my brother when I bought my last bike from an elderly gentleman whose wife told him to sell the bike. If my SO ever told me to sell my bike it would be time for a new SO.
That’s the thing. If you’ve got the right SO, then they might give you hints that perhaps there are a couple too many, but they’ll accept you and your bikes.

Mine has rolled her eyes many times, and I think I’ve got my ‘collection’ to the right level (6 for me plus family bikes plus flippers) given our space and budget.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Quency

Postby Quency » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 am

My SO and I have 3 bikes each. it's about the sweet spot for us as far as usage and storage space. 1 x Road bike, 1 x MTB, 1 x CX/Gravel/Commuter bike. They each get used every week for the most part, so no issues justifying having all 3. Currently attempting to get a 4th into rotation, which has been a slow process. trying to get a new roadie across the the line with relegation of current roadie to permanent trainer bike status. Me buying a 4th will surely instigate a 4th bike purchase for the SO though....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am

I have plenty of storage available so perhaps about 6 more than I've got. What have I got
Mine;
Road bike
Track bike
TT bike
2nd road bike (not assembled)
Fixie
MTB
BSO with child seat
Mrs;
Ladies bike
BSO
Guests;
MTB
BSO
Others;
Cargo bike (3 wheels), currently not operational
Kids bike
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 am

Surely the question should be why are you so many bikes? Consumption doesn't make the world go around and it isn't good in of itself.
AUbicycles wrote:Our society tells us that consumption is good
AUbicycles wrote:so buying new things (even second-hand) makes the world go around.
Bikes (like many durable consumer goods) used to be something that lasted decades. Most still do. But it seems that among cycling enthusiasts bikes are something that needs to get replaced or upgraded almost every year.

Now how people spend their money is their business not mine. But I'm just raising the question.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:57 am

Forced to sell? No. It is a matter of practicalities.

I've been an apartment dweller for the past fifteen years. I have no room for sentiment.

To avoid endless clutter (and this applies to most possessions - clothing, camping and hiking gear, appliances, cameras, computers etc. ) I hold to the principle that if it hasn't been used in the past year it should be converted to cash.

And of course the extra cash opens up new possibilities to acquire stuff for which I'll then have room.

Right now I have a couple of bikes and a accumulation of components which fall into the unused category. Expect to see a sell off happening soon.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 am

If you have to ask this question, get rid of your significant other, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. :P

Kidding.

Everyone's situation is different. I would say that most people would be happy with 3? But some people I know have 30 and are not happy enough with that number and want more.

For me, I'd like 5 just for myself, and maybe 2 or 3 for the mrs. I have 3 now but wouldnt mind a MTB/DH and CX bike to complete the set.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 am

Room for 4 in my bike shed. "Needed' a tourer/bikepacking bike for occasional overnighters and would (now is) my goto bike for fitness rides. Luckily old 26er mtb was on the way out. Wheels off, spare for the commuter, couple of other bits stored that might be useful, frame into pool shed and off to dump next trip. Shinny new tourer in shed still makes 4. Road bike doesn't get much use, CX/gravel bike would be noice, suppose if I had to sell the roadie I could (probably only get 1/4 of what it's worth though)
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 am

Yes, if you can't fit them in or adequately house them. I've gone up and down a few times due to moving, and currently have 4 within the confines of a unit and garage. Which will probably be 3 soon as I don't ride one of them much. I did institute a rule of riding them at least once a month which has worked well.

Then again, the number of boats and trailers parked on several roads in the local area indicates that a lot of people struggle with keeping their posessions within their property 8)

Jim

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

bychosis wrote:
Kronos wrote:As I said to my brother when I bought my last bike from an elderly gentleman whose wife told him to sell the bike. If my SO ever told me to sell my bike it would be time for a new SO.
That’s the thing. If you’ve got the right SO, then they might give you hints that perhaps there are a couple too many, but they’ll accept you and your bikes.

Mine has rolled her eyes many times, and I think I’ve got my ‘collection’ to the right level (6 for me plus family bikes plus flippers) given our space and budget.
I have 3 bikes at the moment, one steel road bike, one aluminum road bike, and a mountain bike. I've got the right level of bikes. I was just saying that if I were ever in that situation where I was old to stop riding bikes, or sell my bikes, or stop spending money on bike parts I'd come to the conclusion that a strong disagreement would be nescessary. The conversation basically transcended down to I'm not quite sure what these elderly women want with their husbands but if they take away the fun card it might be time to consider getting a new SO.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

I am at 4
1 - Original Steel Roadie - had since 2010
2. Ti CX Commuter - Dedicated commuting bike - had since 2011
3. Carbon Roadie - Purchased for Alpine climbing - had since 2016
4. Carbon Race Bike - Purchased 2015, Sold 2017 - dabbled with racing, been off bike injured...likely not racing ever again. It was gathering dust so I got rid of it.

So, that brought me down to 3 again...

Now I am waiting on the arrival of another Ti bike, set up as a Gravel Adventure Bike. Brings me back up to 4 :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I am at 1 at the moment - But want to buy a Road bike and then basically turn my Flat Bar into a round the neighbour pick up some groceries type bike. The SO isn't too keen because I have already said the new Road Bike will not be stored in the garage and will need to be stored inside :P - Little does she know I will be storing it right in the middle of the dining room :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm

fergy1987 wrote:I am at 1 at the moment - But want to buy a Road bike and then basically turn my Flat Bar into a round the neighbour pick up some groceries type bike. The SO isn't too keen because I have already said the new Road Bike will not be stored in the garage and will need to be stored inside :P - Little does she know I will be storing it right in the middle of the dining room :D
Just build a display stand for it, put some spotlights up as well and some glass around it and turn it into a feature. :twisted: You might get away with it.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Hmm, not gonna say how many bicycles my wife and I own between us, let alone the projects sitting waiting for attention. Lets just say 'Lots'.
But... hardly any of them turned up in one piece or with all their bits and only 5 were bought new (some a long time ago). A fair proportion were covered in the good old Dulux paint finish. With a few exceptions our collection is the accumalation of 40 odd years of picking up mainly unwanted stuff, rebuilding it and riding it. I very much enjoy the repair and rebuilding of old bikes, making the tools and parts necessary to fit some of the older stuff when necessary. I suppose it is my 'shed' hobby. Wife doesn't mind, she gets free, interesting bikes and it is a lot cheaper than running a stable of Ducatis (still have one of those tho..), doesn't take up too much space and it is pretty cheap (at least when compared to fixing Ducatis :P )

Most bikes get an outing every few months even if we do have favorites that make it out a lot more often. Tho... some of the older ones with the exotic gear systems can tend to languish a bit as we live in a fairly hilly area.

Must say tho, with a couple of gift frames arriving recently, once these and the other 'keeper' projects are finished I will be at the capacity of my shed storage and the spares box is getting a bit thin. It will have to be N+'something really interesting' from now on as I really can't think of any of the complete bikes or 'keeper' projects I would want to sell.

However, I will be clearing out the redundant projects and unwanted spare parts at the next Vintage meet at the Tempe Velodrome to make some more space so let me know if you are looking for something specific and I'll check the 'outbound' box.

Richard

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm

If your partner tells you that you have too many bikes, go for a bike ride and find a new partner with some bikes :P

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

I once had a partner who was a bit of a bike....
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Part of my solution is carefully looking after my wife's bike. It is quite nice a classic dutch bike but over time with wear and tear bits degrade or fail so spending the time maintaining and buying (and paying for) the new gear appears to be the right approach.

It reminds me that it is time to tidy up and clear out the old kids bikes.
Cycling is in my BNA

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If your partner tells you that you have too many bikes, go for a bike ride and find a new partner with some bikes :P
Yes :D
AUbicycles wrote:Part of my solution is carefully looking after my wife's bike. It is quite nice a classic dutch bike but over time with wear and tear bits degrade or fail so spending the time maintaining and buying (and paying for) the new gear appears to be the right approach.

It reminds me that it is time to tidy up and clear out the old kids bikes.
You're right, part of the solution is to maintain their bike, or buy them a bike and then maintain it. Another part of the solution to having 3 bikes is saying one of them is for her. I was lucky enough to find one that was the same height as me, or near enough.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Kronos wrote:I was just saying that if I were ever in that situation where I was old to stop riding bikes, or sell my bikes, or stop spending money on bike parts I'd come to the conclusion that a strong disagreement would be nescessary. The conversation basically transcended down to I'm not quite sure what these elderly women want with their husbands but if they take away the fun card it might be time to consider getting a new SO.
If you've got a decent income and sufficient storage space, it shouldn't be an issue. If you're on a budget and/or don't have much space for large things like bikes, then surely you can't justify having too many (where "too many" is decided by your own personal circumstances).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Nobody but me, decides if there are any bikes moved on! My money paid for them from me working hard. :wink: The quickest way to have me leap down ya throat, is to tell me I have to many bikes! :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm

I have been thinking about this faaar too much lately.
Ideally for me, it would be:
Light-ish aero roadie - for group rides, fair weather commuting and possible road racing
Dedicated CX race bike - for... CX racing!
Allroad/gravel/adventure bike - for bikepacking adventures when dressed, and commuting when naked! (the bike, not me)
XC MTB, either hardtail or low travel rear - for single track fun and more hardcore bikepacking adventures.
Cargobike, pref bullitt or similar - kiddy carting duties.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Bikes ? You should collect old trucks.
I don't see collecting old stuff as consumerism, I see it as saving it from the scrappers and preserving it, just like restoration work on houses.
8 Super V's, 1 Speedwell, 7 trucks and counting.
I would never consider selling any of my bikes, just buy another shipping container.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752