Riders who are above dealing with their own rubbish

ColinOldnCranky

Riders who are above dealing with their own rubbish

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm

I continue to come across riders uded tubes, used gas cannisters, patch packets.

This morning I came a cross a skinny tube (it's never the fat-rim riders that leave their tubes around) on the ground under the sink in the Mens at Salters Point bridge. I assume that they were looking for the puncture under water.

This about 5 metres from the bin outside and about a metre from the ramp to the carpark surface that they will have ridden onto.

What is it with these entitled twits? Too buggered to bend down?

One of the few times that I have taken a spill that lost skin and blood - a lot of it as it was - was from riding over an unnoticed CO2 canister. It must have climbed out of the bin. :roll:

Don't get me started on the number of tubes and canisters that I have seen in the Swan River Aquatic Park scrub on the side of the Kwinana PSP in South Perth.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Ross

Re: Riders who are above delaing with their own rubbish

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:50 pm

Selfish pigs. When I was over in France few years ago on a cycling holiday I rode up Alpe d'huez and I was astounded and dissapointed at the quantity of discarded gel wrappers I saw. Other places I went to in France were very clean but ADH was a pigsty.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I continue to come across riders uded tubes, used gas cannisters, patch packets.
This morning I came a cross a skinny tube (it's never the fat-rim riders that leave their tubes around)
Yes, however I would quite strongly suggest that it's purely a matter of greater frequency of punctures with narrow tyres, rather than some underlying correlation between a rider's morals and their tyre width.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 pm

A considerable proportion of fat-rimmed riders don't use tubes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 pm

You need to deal with it locally rather than getting on your soap box here.

Get enforcement actions undertaken- patrols from council rangers in problem areas to catch people out.

It makes me absolutely furious when people leave their rubbish behind. I never ever do that.

There are loads of non road bike riders who also litter too. They just don't care.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Duck! wrote:A considerable proportion of fat-rimmed riders don't use tubes.
Or get their punctures in the bush... where I have seen a few tubes. I’ve seen less roadie tubes. I’ve picked one up and repaired it, then found out it was a 29er tube and had to give it away (don’t have 29 wheels)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Hergest

Re: Riders who are above dealing with their own rubbish

Postby Hergest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 am

Welcome to Australia. I've never known a population to be so uncaring about their own local environment. Cyclists are no different to anyone else. No different to the school kids from the school up the top of our street dropping their lolly wrappers and soft drink cans as they walk along. No different from the drivers who drive down our street dropping fast food containers out of their moving cars. No different from the people who drive around our suburb in the middle of the night dumping mattresses on the nature strips. No different from the people throwing bottles out of cars to smash all over the place. Australians are grubs.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Hergest wrote:Welcome to Australia. I've never known a population to be so uncaring about their own local environment. Cyclists are no different to anyone else. No different to the school kids from the school up the top of our street dropping their lolly wrappers and soft drink cans as they walk along. No different from the drivers who drive down our street dropping fast food containers out of their moving cars. No different from the people who drive around our suburb in the middle of the night dumping mattresses on the nature strips. No different from the people throwing bottles out of cars to smash all over the place. Australians are grubs.
Yep and you try calling them out and its on for young and old.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Yeah it's pretty disgusting and damages the image when groups are trying to campaign for more cycleway/trails with an environmental angle.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:You need to deal with it locally rather than getting on your soap box here.
I don't agree, that sort of behaviour needs to be shamed on a community wide scale so that it is considered socially unacceptable. Fear of being judged by other cyclists if caught tossing is the only thing that will change them.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm

bychosis wrote:Or get their punctures in the bush... where I have seen a few tubes. I’ve seen less roadie tubes. I’ve picked one up and repaired it
LOL I was thinking the same thing bychosis. TBH we don't seem to have that problem around here (never even seen a discarded tube where I ride), but if we did have the op's problem then that would just be a free lifetime supply of tubes for me. :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
g-boaf wrote:You need to deal with it locally rather than getting on your soap box here.
I don't agree, that sort of behaviour needs to be shamed on a community wide scale so that it is considered socially unacceptable. Fear of being judged by other cyclists if caught tossing is the only thing that will change them.
I'm not in Western Australia, so I can't really do anything about what the grubs over there do. And besides, I don't litter at all. Ever. One, I don't use those energy gels anyway and two, if I get a puncture, the damaged tube gets folded up and I take it with me.

And what is being done about normal people who litter, pedestrians and others, where is all the anger over that?

Worse than that around my area, we have people who just happily dump their unwanted household goods on the nature strips or on footpaths/shared paths whenever they want, not only when council cleanups are on. Where is the outrage over that? On one section of cycleway a while back, there is smashed glass everywhere and boxes from electrical goods scattered everywhere making it impossible to ride through without going through the glass. Annoying.

People have even dumped asbestos waste. :evil:
Jmuzz wrote:Yeah it's pretty disgusting and damages the image when groups are trying to campaign for more cycleway/trails with an environmental angle.
Given that pedestrians and also other non-riders also dump rubbish, perhaps they will stop building footpaths and roads now too? Because people use cars to take the rubbish somewhere out of the way where it can be dumped (and they won't get caught).

This really isn't just a cycling problem, it's a general problem of stopping illegal dumping and littering by all parts of the community.

Around here, we don't tend to see discarded tubes or CO2 cannisters. It's mainly smashed bottles or discarded takeaway food packaging, or unwanted household goods/packaging.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 pm

There is always a huge mess of tubes after the Sydney to Gong bike ride in my local area, they blow at predictable points such as at the bottom of the big descent from overheated rims and at pinchflat points on the cycleway and all get thrown on the railing and signs like it's a decoration to be proud of.

Nobody takes responsibility for them so they hang around for ages making locals hate cyclists.

I guess I should be the one trying to organise a cleanup crew rather than just complain about their mess. But still best if people carry their own crap to the bin.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:52 pm

As well as food rubbish, (banana skins, energy bar wrappers) left by cyclists on country roads.
Not a problem normally if you throw it well off the road but native birds and animals are attracted to it and get themselves killed by vehicles if left on the road.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:32 pm

uart wrote: LOL I was thinking the same thing bychosis. TBH we don't seem to have that problem around here (never even seen a discarded tube where I ride), but if we did have the op's problem then that would just be a free lifetime supply of tubes for me. :D
I've scored a couple of tubes that way too.
A quick patch and all good ;)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:03 pm

rokwiz wrote:As well as food rubbish, (banana skins, energy bar wrappers) left by cyclists on country roads.
Not a problem normally if you throw it well off the road but native birds and animals are attracted to it and get themselves killed by vehicles if left on the road.
Banana skins are organic. There is really no problem with throwing these in the bush, they'll have composted in a day or two. Gel wrappers and CO2 canisters are there to stay, though.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Yeah I don't mind banana skins off the road either. They rot down very quickly and better there than in landfill tbh.
Plastic wrappers, tubes and canisters are another matter though. That p's me off.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

fishwop wrote: Banana skins are organic. There is really no problem with throwing these in the bush, they'll have composted in a day or two..
They attract animals to scavenge at the roadside, they then become roadkill.

So if throwing into the bush make sure it goes deep.

Still best practice to carry out anything you carried in.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
They attract animals to scavenge at the roadside, they then become roadkill.

So if throwing into the bush make sure it goes deep.

Still best practice to carry out anything you carried in.
Which animals might they be?
I'm interested as I can't see a kangaroo going for one, birds don't appear to eat them, certainly my chooks don't anyway, though they still get thrown in the run.

lard

Postby lard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:32 pm

It's not just riders, on the way home last week along a shared trail I spotted a walker fling a drink bottle into the bush. I let rip in no uncertain terms and told him to go pick up his rubbish.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Hergest wrote:Welcome to Australia. I've never known a population to be so uncaring about their own local environment.
'
I some aspects this is starkly not true. Though maybe that is just the other sports I partake in and the groups they attract.. As somebody who pursues sports in our beautiful great outdoors, the difference between the way Australians, US and Europeans treat nature is stark. Australians at the top of the list and Europeans heavily at the bottom.

Speaking of which I have NEVER seen such littering along mountain bike routes nor urban commuter routes.
Hergest wrote:Cyclists are no different to anyone else.
Personally I would have hoped they are. In many sports or communities the groups really are different from everyone else.

(Eg, I just spent the weekend camping surrounded by strangers. My car was unlocked, my car and many thousands of dollars worth of possessions were freely accessible to anybody who chose to do so. No, not all groups of people are the same.)

I can't help but think some of the behaviour of the professional racers have rubbed off on the non professional riders.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 pm

human909 wrote: I can't help but think some of the behaviour of the professional racers have rubbed off on the non professional riders.
Don't think so. A lot of people (non riders) are just grubs. One local road is a common dumping ground for stacks of rubbish, as is the end of a nearby cycleway. This isn't non professional riders doing this, it is just ordinary people who are too lazy to dispose of their rubbish properly. Just disgraceful.

And as a side note, the group I ride with, if we see smashed glass on a cycleway we will stop and sweep it away as best as possible.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 am

Jmuzz wrote:
That IS dealing with it locally. Within the community; your city or state. Rather than on a national forum which is not really about local street litter.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 am

human909 wrote:
Hergest wrote:Welcome to Australia. I've never known a population to be so uncaring about their own local environment.
'
I some aspects this is starkly not true. Though maybe that is just the other sports I partake in and the groups they attract.. As somebody who pursues sports in our beautiful great outdoors, the difference between the way Australians, US and Europeans treat nature is stark. Australians at the top of the list and Europeans heavily at the bottom.

You're wrong. I spent the first 30 years of my life living in England and there was never the extent of the litter problem and waste dumping that there is here. There still isn't as I go back every year. It's not just the city either. Riding around Bright and the Alpine region every summer I'm disgusted at the litter at the side of the road-food cartons, energy drink cans and bottles, beer bottles etc. You will never see that in places such as the Lake District in the UK. It wasn't quite this bad when I first came here but Australians have turned into an uncaring slovenly bunch.

Saying that, on my first visit in 1987 I did a lot of walking in the Blue Mountains and was staggered to see halfway through a 14 hour return hike that hikers had left behind empty baked bean cans at a fire place from an overnight camp. They had carried in a full weighty can but wouldn't carry out a light empty one. Grubs. If Australians are at the top of a list it is certainly not one concerning care for their own environment.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 am

NASHIE wrote:
Hergest wrote:Welcome to Australia. I've never known a population to be so uncaring about their own local environment. Cyclists are no different to anyone else. No different to the school kids from the school up the top of our street dropping their lolly wrappers and soft drink cans as they walk along. No different from the drivers who drive down our street dropping fast food containers out of their moving cars. No different from the people who drive around our suburb in the middle of the night dumping mattresses on the nature strips. No different from the people throwing bottles out of cars to smash all over the place. Australians are grubs.
Yep and you try calling them out and its on for young and old.
Try pointing out the differences in local areas and see what happens.

Maybe 6 years ago I was driving around a particular outer northern Melbourne suburb scoping jobs and as time went on my sense that something was wrong got stronger and stronger. The burb was all McMansions maybe 5-8 year old, some nice landscaping had been started. Sort of area with footpaths on one side only, nature strips everywhere. Then it hit me. Rubbish. There was rubbish everywhere...in front yards, nature strips, the road, up the sides of houses. When it hit me I was floored. Certain areas of the outer west are just as bad. Compare that to the eastern burbs up to Eastlink....not a single dog turd. Socio-economic differences are just as strong strong.

On the upside, we don't as a rule go around killing 20 or 30 of each other in mass shootings. We don't bomb each other from planes, trains or automobiles. We haven't until recently tried to cram as many people as possible into each square metre of usable space. We have very, very few areas that even the police are too afraid to go into. I guess that's why we're still an attractive destination for so many.