5% tarif on bike imports - a disaster for Aus bike industry

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 5% tarif on bike imports - a disaster for Aus bike industry

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 am

Good news, I have just heard that a proposed removal of the 5% duty free tariff concession on imports of bike, frames and wheelsets has been withdrawn.

I don’t know who made the original request to add the import duty but it would have had a far greater effect than the changes for the ebike import duty free concession - which I understand is not affected (so still proceeding).

Meanwhile on the Stealth facebook page (which I did not post on, and ecourage everyone else to avoid the temptation), they have responded to a person challenging the move and asked whether that person believes everything posted on the internet. The irony is the last time I looked, facebook was still part of the internet.

In response, twitter is now lighting up with ways other countries are actually making a positive effect and encouraging cycling such as in the UK, tax incentives for riding to work or in New Zealand, the $10 daily bonus to employees who ride to work.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Good news, I have just heard that a proposed removal of the 5% duty free tariff concession on imports of bike, frames and wheelsets has been withdrawn.

I don’t know who made the original request to add the import duty but it would have had a far greater effect than the changes for the ebike import duty free concession - which I understand is not affected (so still proceeding).

Meanwhile on the Stealth facebook page (which I did not post on, and ecourage everyone else to avoid the temptation), they have responded to a person challenging the move and asked whether that person believes everything posted on the internet. The irony is the last time I looked, facebook was still part of the internet.

In response, twitter is now lighting up with ways other countries are actually making a positive effect and encouraging cycling such as in the UK, tax incentives for riding to work or in New Zealand, the $10 daily bonus to employees who ride to work.

I can't find any information on the Stealth Website, and I am not posting on their page as I have no interest in their bikes. However, unless the P7 is certified by Stealth as complying with EN15194, and carries labeling to that effect, then it doesn't matter what their marketing material says, it would be illegal to ride it in NSW anywhere except private property.

It's good that whoever submitted the application for regular bikes etc has withdrawn it. Maybe they saw the reaction to Stealth and didn't want to be on the receiving end of a hiding from the whole cycling community.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

I am seeing if it was known who submitted the application for the bikes - it is interesting that it has happened at almost the same time as the ebike application.

For interest, this is the 'Gazette' with the announcement (page 10):
CANCELLATION OF THE INTENTION TO REVOKE AND WITHDRAWAL OF REVOCATION REQUESTS

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Domestic ... c18-09.pdf

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Here is some reference information - particularly the first one with important details and facts regarding the Tariffs for ebikes which is now in force but is being challenged:

BIA 01.03.2018 E-bikes to attract 5% import tariff

BIA 07.03.2018 : Application for a import tariff on bicycles withdrawn