Strava Segment Explore not working properly?

ldrcycles

Strava Segment Explore not working properly?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:03 pm

I've noticed recently a lot of segments not showing up on Segment Explore, long or short, remote or built up areas doesn't seem to make much difference. I use it all the time to check out roads that interest me so not having it is quite frustrating. There's a bit of chatter about it but doesn't seem to be any consensus on why it's happening or if there's any way around it.

Any tips?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

bychosis

Re: Strava Segment Explore not working properly?

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:12 pm

I've noticed this too. It won't show all the segments in a particular map section, and if you move it slightly it will often drop some off and pick up others. Wonder if it is popularity based?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 pm

When I believe a segment exists but cannot find it (maybe I've seen it or ridden over it sometime in the past), I centre the "explore" feature on where I think it is, and adjust the map size to try to detect it. If that doesn't work I move the map around just a fraction at a time. If all else fails I might actually ride over the roads / bike paths where I think it is. Provided you ride over a complete segment it always appears in your .fit activity.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 pm

yeah it's gone really sucky, I think there is a new algorithm they use where only popular segments show up, so they have to have been ridden so many times, if they don't meet the threshold they don't show up...at all.I find around my place, once you get out of town pretty much no segment are showing up...even though I've ridden them... and heck I made the damn things.

Very annoying.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm

also they've removed the activity search which is annoying (damn those USsecret military dudes).
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 am

Yeah i went and had a look at this yesterday and noticed the same thing, although thinking about it, it probably makes sense that there is some sort of algorithm to sort and display only the popular segments, as the whole map would be over taken with segments some may only be riden a handful of times.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 pm

^Yeah true, bt it'd be nice to be able to toggle it off, or adjust the setting like the climb rating slider.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:34 pm

But I want to find the ones that have hardly been ridden. Will give me a chance at a KOM.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 pm

bychosis wrote:But I want to find the ones that have hardly been ridden. Will give me a chance at a KOM.

^ This! :lol:

Perfect example was one that's only about 3kms from my door, it's been ridden hundreds of times but just will not show up on the map at all. There was a trig point on the top of the hill during WW2, but even then it was hardly a sensitive military location :lol:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.