Bike rider vs cyclist definition

twowheels
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Perth

Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:43 am

What is a cyclist? I ride bikes, usually when incorporating other activities, like shopping or commuting. So perhaps riding utility bikes? I've noticed much of the vitriol directed toward people who ride bikes is actually more to do with what is referred to as cyclists. I think this means, in the minds of the angry, someone wearing a jersey, padded shorts, cleated shoes and riding a drop bar bike, riding for exercise, recreation or social purposes. Do they have a distinction in their minds about people riding bikes that are commuting wearing work clothes?

I'm not saying drivers should target anyone riding a bicycle, however they are dressed or for what reason they are riding. It is just a question that has intrigued me for some time.

I don't wear lycra. When I mention I ride a bike people have assumed I do. Actually, I have trouble wearing synthetics, cotton is the go for me, so I'm a MAMIC ? And a bike rider, not a cyclist.

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am

Not important. We're all far better off without being pigeonholed by definitions.

User avatar
open roader
Posts: 3139
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country, Otway fringes, Victoria

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby open roader » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Cyclist = anyone on a bike ie. any bike of a rider.

Out in the countryside where I ride, vehicle driver lack of attention and/or unwanted or otherwise does not discriminate between clothing material worn by the bike rider.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

eeksll
Posts: 2432
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby eeksll » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:45 pm

they target you because you slow them down.

you could be a unicyclist, a walker, jogger, a driver driving slowly, a bus ...

being someone who pedals a bicycle simply makes it easier for you to be identified as one of the groups which (can) slow drivers down.

Hergest
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Hergest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Seriously? The two terms denote different types of people? I think I'm going to have to learn to ignore the rubbish I read on the internet.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

uart
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby uart » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I think that making distinctions between different type of cyclists is less important than doing this for different types of motorists.

The road rules need to be changed so that truck drivers may or may not need to give way to motorists,depending upon the type of car they're driving and what they are wearing. As motorist are the majority of road uses, I think that this idea has to be trialed as above before doing anything with bicycles. ;)

Jmuzz
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Jmuzz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm

There are no terms.
Lycra is singled out because it looks funny vs normal casual fashion for men and usually for more serious riders who are likely to be on the road vs illegally on the footpath (which the bogans don't care about because they don't walk more than 20m in a carpark), just so long as not in their way.

g-boaf
Posts: 9314
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Not important. We're all far better off without being pigeonholed by definitions.


Exactly. :roll:

And for the OP, what happens when you use a racing bicycle for commuting purposes, or getting something from the shops? That explodes these stupid definitions.

Kronos
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Kronos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Jmuzz wrote:There are no terms.
Lycra is singled out because it looks funny vs normal casual fashion for men and usually for more serious riders who are likely to be on the road vs illegally on the footpath (which the bogans don't care about because they don't walk more than 20m in a carpark), just so long as not in their way.


It's not illegal in Queensland to ride on the footpath, but that's an aside. Anyone riding on the road is considered a "cyclist" by motorists, there are no distinctions. They believe you should ride on the cycle ways the problem with riding on concrete is that it generally means giving way to pedestrians and not riding at speed.

I had one tell me I should ride on a velodrome :shock: They don't even understand the distinction between track and road cyclists :lol:

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Thoglette » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:17 pm

eeksll wrote:being someone who pedals a bicycle simply makes it easier for you to be identified as one of the groups which are DIFFERENT


Fixed it for you. People riding bicycles form one of the few collections of people that the Shock Jocks can label as "them".

Along with Evil, Queue Jumping Illegal Boat People(tm) and those equally evil people smugglers.

To all those WASP MAMILs like me, have a whiff of what being a genuine minority is like, if for just a few seconds.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Jmuzz
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Jmuzz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Thoglette wrote: People riding bicycles form one of the few collections of people that the Shock Jocks can label as "them".


Yes in a lot of ways it has replaced homophobic gay hate, society now comes down hard on anyone attacking gay/trans so they need a new group to hate on and display their perceived manliness while slurping down estrogenic fermented yeast infection water.

Oh look, men in Lycra! That's a good target to hate on and display how much testosterone we have in our veins, get out of the way of our banana extention guzzoline war machines! Stop wearing your Lycra, we are threatened by clothing which allows our claimes of gigantism to be refuted we don't want Startrek uniforms to become normal!

kenwstr
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby kenwstr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:31 pm

In my experience I get a lot more respect and room on the road when in kit than in street clothes. Sure we get a lot of comments about lycra but I suspect it's a defence mechanism because an individual is a lot weaker and more easily overcome than a group. If they can get you out of kit, your potential roadkill. It's just a better to look like you have the means (connections, finances etc) to defend or be defended. Don't look like an old derro on a rusty antique.

Ken

Kronos
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Kronos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Thoglette wrote:
eeksll wrote:being someone who pedals a bicycle simply makes it easier for you to be identified as one of the groups which are DIFFERENT


Fixed it for you. People riding bicycles form one of the few collections of people that the Shock Jocks can label as "them".

Along with Evil, Queue Jumping Illegal Boat People(tm) and those equally evil people smugglers.

To all those WASP MAMILs like me, have a whiff of what being a genuine minority is like, if for just a few seconds.


At least its a few moments, but there's more to it than that. As a double minority, "non-white" person who could be mistaken for a "Muslim" people really don't understand the whole issue, or how ironic it is when they say "go back to where you came from." My general long winded response is:

"Are you an indigenous person, Torres Strait Islander, or South Sea Islander? Because if not, you should get in your sea canoe and paddle on back off to wherever it is your relatives came from in Europe with a remark like that because this is not your country either."

twowheels
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:53 pm

kenwstr wrote:In my experience I get a lot more respect and room on the road when in kit than in street clothes. Sure we get a lot of comments about lycra but I suspect it's a defence mechanism because an individual is a lot weaker and more easily overcome than a group. If they can get you out of kit, your potential roadkill. It's just a better to look like you have the means (connections, finances etc) to defend or be defended. Don't look like an old derro on a rusty antique.

Ken

This is interesting. Because it seems alot of reports/posts seem to be against cyclists wearing kit while riding. I've not experienced road rage against me while riding a bike in t-shirt & cargo shorts, so I thought maybe the non-riding public have a distinction between "cyclists" and other "bike riders".

It seems to me a number of responses so far have not read or misinterpreted my OP.

NASHIE
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby NASHIE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:39 pm

twowheels wrote:
kenwstr wrote:In my experience I get a lot more respect and room on the road when in kit than in street clothes. Sure we get a lot of comments about lycra but I suspect it's a defence mechanism because an individual is a lot weaker and more easily overcome than a group. If they can get you out of kit, your potential roadkill. It's just a better to look like you have the means (connections, finances etc) to defend or be defended. Don't look like an old derro on a rusty antique.

Ken

This is interesting. Because it seems alot of reports/posts seem to be against cyclists wearing kit while riding. I've not experienced road rage against me while riding a bike in t-shirt & cargo shorts, so I thought maybe the non-riding public have a distinction between "cyclists" and other "bike riders".

It seems to me a number of responses so far have not read or misinterpreted my OP.


I have no issues with motorist while wearing kit or not wearing kit. I think most of the anti cyclist is against bunches of riders (wearing kit).
Pretty sure if you ride your bike straight through a red light in your cargo shorts and t-shirt you will be just another d!(AT)#h@#$ cyclist, bike rider or whatever other term for someone on a bike

User avatar
WyvernRH
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:39 am

twowheels wrote:. I've not experienced road rage against me while riding a bike in t-shirt & cargo shorts, so I thought maybe the non-riding public have a distinction between "cyclists" and other "bike riders". OP.


Just wait a while......

duncanm
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby duncanm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

twowheels wrote:It seems to me a number of responses so far have not read or misinterpreted my OP.


you got that right! It seems you brought out a defensive reflex.

User avatar
Tequestra
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Tequestra » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am

Hey, don't worry fellas. Smoke Marlboro at the traffic lights, and the bigots will not worry about the lycra at all.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!


fat and old
Posts: 3166
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby fat and old » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

I cop flak for

Riding a bike
Driving a 4wd
Driving a truck
Being a pedestrian
Being a road worker
Being an employer
Being a smart ass
Being male
Wearing glasses
Having an ethnic wife
Having indigenous ancestors
Being white
Being over 50
Having a gay son, nephew and friends
Having straight friends
Looking at anyone

At various times

What do I care about labels? Label this!

kenwstr
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby kenwstr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm

NASHIE wrote:
twowheels wrote:
kenwstr wrote:In my experience I get a lot more respect and room on the road when in kit than in street clothes. Sure we get a lot of comments about lycra but I suspect it's a defence mechanism because an individual is a lot weaker and more easily overcome than a group. If they can get you out of kit, your potential roadkill. It's just a better to look like you have the means (connections, finances etc) to defend or be defended. Don't look like an old derro on a rusty antique.

Ken

This is interesting. Because it seems alot of reports/posts seem to be against cyclists wearing kit while riding. I've not experienced road rage against me while riding a bike in t-shirt & cargo shorts, so I thought maybe the non-riding public have a distinction between "cyclists" and other "bike riders".

It seems to me a number of responses so far have not read or misinterpreted my OP.


I have no issues with motorist while wearing kit or not wearing kit. I think most of the anti cyclist is against bunches of riders (wearing kit).
Pretty sure if you ride your bike straight through a red light in your cargo shorts and t-shirt you will be just another d!(AT)#h@#$ cyclist, bike rider or whatever other term for someone on a bike


Seems to me, the most intentionally dangerous stuff is reserved for those cycling alone. I had one guy come from behind and aim his left front wheel directly at my body and did not stop or divert. If I had not spotted him and been able to avoid, I would be dead.

Mostly it's deliberate close passes, like leave the traffic lane to get me on the shoulder, or nearly have headons to overtake and nearly hit median strip cos there wasn't enough room or time to safely overtake... How about a 2 lane road and 2 overtake within 6 inches (maybe), my speed 80+ kmph, their speed ..... Whole other lane not used. The list goes on. I do not see as extreme behaviour when in a group. People instinctively know how bullying works and that's what they are doing, taking advantage of your isolation.

NASHIE
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby NASHIE » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm

kenwstr wrote:
Seems to me, the most intentionally dangerous stuff is reserved for those cycling alone. I had one guy come from behind and aim his left front wheel directly at my body and did not stop or divert. If I had not spotted him and been able to avoid, I would be dead.

Mostly it's deliberate close passes, like leave the traffic lane to get me on the shoulder, or nearly have headons to overtake and nearly hit median strip cos there wasn't enough room or time to safely overtake... How about a 2 lane road and 2 overtake within 6 inches (maybe), my speed 80+ kmph, their speed ..... Whole other lane not used. The list goes on. I do not see as extreme behaviour when in a group. People instinctively know how bullying works and that's what they are doing, taking advantage of your isolation.


Have to agree to disagree as i spend 90% riding solo on the road and don't get that treatment....here in WA anyway. All negative news i hear on talkback radio etc is against riders riding 2up, bunches taking whole lanes, hard to overtake groups in the hills etc etc, which i guess links to bike riders or cyclist wearing lycra.

you cannot be sirrus
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am

When I ride with my missus, her n her "shopping bike" me on a MTB drivers are noticeably more tolerant than when I'm n the roadie in lycra. I suspect this is because when with my partner we choose roads that she is comfortable riding on. If we were to ride on busier roads then we are entering the domain of the motorist an we shouldn't be on "their" roads and deserve to cop all they can throw at us, or so it seems to me.

I have had work mate tell me riding to work or the shops etc is OK for people to do but riding for recreation shouldn't be allowed on public roads. If we want to exercise we should go to the gym, if we want to play on bikes we should take up BMX, or similar comments.
Kuota Kharma,Fuji Altamira, Scott Foil, mongrel of an Orbea TT bike and an MTB thingy.

User avatar
Tequestra
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby Tequestra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I have had work mate tell me riding to work or the shops etc is OK for people to do but riding for recreation shouldn't be allowed on public roads. If we want to exercise we should go to the gym, if we want to play on bikes we should take up BMX, or similar comments.

That would be great for the greenies in their war against global-warming if every car on the road had to stop at police road-blocks every few kays to prove that their excuse for blowing megalitres of carbon-monoxides up into the skies was legitimately for financial reasons: to make money or spend money: otherwise they get Transported to China for offending your work mate.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

you cannot be sirrus
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Tequestra wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:I have had work mate tell me riding to work or the shops etc is OK for people to do but riding for recreation shouldn't be allowed on public roads. If we want to exercise we should go to the gym, if we want to play on bikes we should take up BMX, or similar comments.

That would be great for the greenies in their war against global-warming if every car on the road had to stop at police road-blocks every few kays to prove that their excuse for blowing megalitres of carbon-monoxides up into the skies was legitimately for financial reasons: to make money or spend money: otherwise they get Transported to China for offending your work mate.


The irony was guys in my 4wd club thinking a convoy of 10+ cars heading off for a weekend playing in our 4wds was any different to cyclist riding through the hills for a coffee.
Kuota Kharma,Fuji Altamira, Scott Foil, mongrel of an Orbea TT bike and an MTB thingy.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 10speedsemiracer, pj