Bike rider vs cyclist definition

g-boaf

Re: Bike rider vs cyclist definition

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:When I ride with my missus, her n her "shopping bike" me on a MTB drivers are noticeably more tolerant than when I'm n the roadie in lycra. I suspect this is because when with my partner we choose roads that she is comfortable riding on. If we were to ride on busier roads then we are entering the domain of the motorist an we shouldn't be on "their" roads and deserve to cop all they can throw at us, or so it seems to me.

I have had work mate tell me riding to work or the shops etc is OK for people to do but riding for recreation shouldn't be allowed on public roads. If we want to exercise we should go to the gym, if we want to play on bikes we should take up BMX, or similar comments.

I generally don't have too much drama on the road, but maybe it is also because I'm riding at higher speeds too. I know when cars are being me and I'll do a very obvious head check so they know that I'm watching them. I claim the lane when I need to, but go back over when I don't need to.

I'm sometimes in groups on the road and don't get bother either.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm sometimes in groups on the road and don't get bother either.

I was in a group one Saturday morning, riding neatly two abreast along a nearly empty road in an industrial area. The road was straight and level and it was a nice sunny day.

We got yelled at by a bogan in a ute travelling in the opposite direction. We literally made no difference to him in the slightest, but he had to yell at us to "move over you c*%$#s".

That's possibly the most egregious abuse I've ever had.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:
Tequestra wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:I have had work mate tell me riding to work or the shops etc is OK for people to do but riding for recreation shouldn't be allowed on public roads. If we want to exercise we should go to the gym, if we want to play on bikes we should take up BMX, or similar comments.

That would be great for the greenies in their war against global-warming if every car on the road had to stop at police road-blocks every few kays to prove that their excuse for blowing megalitres of carbon-monoxides up into the skies was legitimately for financial reasons: to make money or spend money: otherwise they get Transported to China for offending your work mate.

The irony was guys in my 4wd club thinking a convoy of 10+ cars heading off for a weekend playing in our 4wds was any different to cyclist riding through the hills for a coffee.

Yes, it's a pretty safe bet that at any given time of the day that there a whole lot more cars on the road just "out for a drive", "off to visit friends", "going down to maccas" etc etc, than there are cyclists just out for a ride or a coffee or to socialize etc.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 am

uart wrote:Yes, it's a pretty safe bet that at any given time of the day that there a whole lot more cars on the road just "out for a drive", "off to visit friends", "going down to maccas" etc etc, than there are cyclists just out for a ride or a coffee or to socialize etc.

Of course, if car owners were out on the roads pushing their cars up hills etc. for exercise, then that might cause some congestion for the 'more important' (greedy) ones who legitimately got out of bed that day for the sake of the almighty dollar and no less. It must be good for the fitness, pushing SUVs around the place. I wonder why it is not a more popular hobby in Australia with so many cars per capita? It must be fun when they are shiny and new too.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 am

RobertL wrote:We got yelled at by a bogan in a ute travelling in the opposite direction. We literally made no difference to him in the slightest, but he had to yell at us to "move over you c*%$#s".

"move over you cyclists"?

I've heard abuse yelled from a passing jacked up 4wd directed at a bunch of runners - On the other side of a concrete barrier on a path. This was a Saturday morning park run group of around 300 runners/walkers.

Of course I couldn't decipher what the abuse was. Apparently it's normal to abuse anyone in a group, doing something you don't like, if you are from a certain demographic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 pm

RobertL wrote:

We got yelled at by a bogan in a ute travelling in the opposite direction. We literally made no difference to him in the slightest, but he had to yell at us to "move over you c*%$#s".

The ute/4wd/V8 bogan will yell abuse at cyclists on a dedicated cycleway. And usually any female or non white pedestrian, sometimes any pedestrian on the grounds that "you can't afford a car".

There is no logic in their abuse, they are just loudmouth bogan jerks who need to think that someone is a rung bellow them on the social ladder.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm

bychosis wrote:Of course I couldn't decipher what the abuse was.

Yes it's almost as though it were a form of Tourette's syndrome isn't it. Bogan Motorist Tourette's Syndrome.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Jmuzz wrote:The ute/4wd/V8 bogan will yell abuse at cyclists on a dedicated cycleway. And usually any female or non white pedestrian, sometimes any pedestrian on the grounds that "you can't afford a car".

There is no logic in their abuse, they are just loudmouth bogan jerks who need to think that someone is a rung bellow them on the social ladder.

I own a V8 4WD ute, is it compulsory to act this way :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:The ute/4wd/V8 bogan will yell abuse at cyclists on a dedicated cycleway. And usually any female or non white pedestrian, sometimes any pedestrian on the grounds that "you can't afford a car".

I own a V8 4WD ute, is it compulsory to act this way :D

You’re ok......Optional for deisel.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:44 pm

It's petrol with Carbies :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Mugglechops wrote:It's petrol with Carbies :D

Maaate, bogans haven't driven Landrover utes since the Leyland brothers were first on TV :mrgreen:

I find it interesting how people's stereotypes vary. Where I ride it is rarely bogans in a ute/4wd/V8 but most commonly Taxi drivers & people aiming an Audi.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 pm

We have an interesting mix of white Hilux utes and Audis. We got both kinds of bogan here: cashed up and feral.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:

Maaate, bogans haven't driven Landrover utes since the Leyland brothers were first on TV :mrgreen:

I find it interesting how people's stereotypes vary. Where I ride it is rarely bogans in a ute/4wd/V8 but most commonly Taxi drivers & people aiming an Audi.

Ha Ha I think you're right :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 am

Yeah, you're screwed :lol:

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 pm

The whole 'cyclist/bike-rider', 'POBSO/Lycra-lizard' conversation, along with the fictitious "war-on-the-roads" trope are tools of division and bigotry. the line is run by people who are at their core, haters, either bike-haters point-blank, or haters of the 'other' mob in the world of bikes.

DO NOT buy into it!

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 pm

RobertL wrote:We got yelled at by a bogan in a ute travelling in the opposite direction. We literally made no difference to him in the slightest, but he had to yell at us to "move over you c*%$#s".

Ya haven't lived until you've had a tree-branch swung out the passenger window hit you in the back. Or a car brake-check you head-on with a .22 rifle aimed out the window at you :P :P :shock: :roll:

YES, these and other boganisms really DID occur to us, even when riding in groups, back in the '80s. Anybody who tells you that roads are getting more dangerous today is having a lend of ya!!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 am

Scintilla wrote:

Ya haven't lived until you've had a tree-branch swung out the passenger window hit you in the back. Or a car brake-check you head-on with a .22 rifle aimed out the window at you :P :P :shock: :roll:

YES, these and other boganisms really DID occur to us, even when riding in groups, back in the '80s. Anybody who tells you that roads are getting more dangerous today is having a lend of ya!!

Yeah - I commuted to school, to part-time jobs and around the place back in the 80s. And this was in the bogan wasteland of Brisbane's outer northern edges. My example above wasn't the most dangerous that I have encountered, just probably the dumbest.

I once had a bunch of bogans in a panel van (remember them?) throw stuff at me on a dark road at midnight, and then stop and wait for me. They all took a swing at me but they were too drunk to make contact. I crossed the median and high-tailed it out of there on the wrong side of the road.

There have always been nutters out there who want to beat up cyclists. There have always been bad drivers who "didn't see us". But I reckon that the average driver was more tolerant of cycling back then. There were more cyclists - especially kids - so they at least recognised our right to exist. A lot of "regular" drivers don't do that now.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 am

The only distinction I make is between normal people who ride bikes and the weird people who ride recumbents, and who deserve to be ridiculed for their beards, wing mirrors, flags and cable ties on the helmets. (I'm kidding before anybody takes offense)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Scintilla wrote:The whole 'cyclist/bike-rider', 'POBSO/Lycra-lizard' conversation, along with the fictitious "war-on-the-roads" trope are tools of division and bigotry. the line is run by people who are at their core, haters, either bike-haters point-blank, or haters of the 'other' mob in the world of bikes.

DO NOT buy into it!

I refuse to buy into it. It only serves the haters well. I'm supportive of all riders.

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am

RobertL wrote:But I reckon that the average driver was more tolerant of cycling back then. There were more cyclists - especially kids - so they at least recognised our right to exist. A lot of "regular" drivers don't do that now.

In my opinion this can be traced back, at least in my state, to the political campaign run by the Daily Telegraph/Channel 9 against Clover Moore in Sydney. They were opposed to her bicycle lanes amongst other things and that is around the time they started running the anti-cycling stories about cyclists speeding in Centennial Park and so on. We became collateral damage over that little spat and mud sticks.

I also think there are a lot more fitness cyclists on the roads than there were a decade or so ago. Cycling is the new golf, there are so many people around here who have taken it up to get/keep fit after retiring. I never used to see so many cyclists 10 years ago, in fact for a long time I thought I was the only cyclist in the village.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am

silentC wrote:In my opinion this can be traced back, at least in my state, to the political campaign run by the Daily Telegraph/Channel 9 against Clover Moore in Sydney. They were opposed to her bicycle lanes amongst other things and that is around the time they started running the anti-cycling stories about cyclists speeding in Centennial Park and so on. We became collateral damage over that little spat and mud sticks.

Agree

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 pm

In Victoria there has always been an undercurrent amongst the bogan demograpic, but there did appear a marked increase in the media-hatred associated with the 'Hell-ride' trope, culminating in the tragic death of an elderly pedestrian at Parkdale at the hands of a cyclist. That was all over 10 years ago now, and in that time Beach Road rider behaviours have improved markedly.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

silentC wrote:In my opinion this can be traced back, at least in my state, to the political campaign run by the Daily Telegraph/Channel 9 against Clover Moore in Sydney. They were opposed to her bicycle lanes amongst other things and that is around the time they started running the anti-cycling stories about cyclists speeding in Centennial Park and so on. We became collateral damage over that little spat and mud sticks.

I believe that has been significant in NSW but the anti-campaign goes back a bit further. As I've said elsewhere the first shots seem to have been fired around 2004, with a piece by AAMI mixed with some taxi driver anecdotes being passed off as journalism by Gibbs in the SMH on 2004-12-16.

The next thing in my library is an OMG! piece by Bruce MacDougall in the Tele in 2005-06-22. The headline picture of "Hell on wheels" is a women sensibly and slowly riding her BSO on a 9' wide footpath. But, (cue evil laugh) without a helmet!

Things really ramp up around 2009, driven by Alan Jone's attacks on Clover Moore and punctuated by Madga's incitement to violence. The success of Cadel was certainly increasing the number of MAMILS (and Freds) at the time. And the Hipster/Courier fashion was resulting in lots of bike ninjas & POBs at the same time (as evidenced by BSNYC's Pistadex)

Derrin Hynch is late to the party four years later with his infamous "cockroaches" comment. But by then it's mainstream Murdoch/Shock-Jock editorial line (and still is, based on their selection of letters to the editor).

Now, if anyone has similar articles from before 2010 or references to them, please let me know.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ