xt 2x11 groupset with shifters

Mariner

xt 2x11 groupset with shifters

Postby Mariner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Hello
First post but have been following online for sometime.
Has anyone managed to get an XT groupset to work with Shifters?
Trying to build a gravel bike with parts I have which is a 2x11 XT groupset.
Can get the RD to work with a Shiftmate - aparantly - but not sure if I can get the FD to work.
XT FD or road FD or even a SRAM FD or just sell on the bits and start again?
This is a Fargo build.

uad782

Re: xt 2x11 groupset with shifters

Postby uad782 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi Mariner,

Welcome. When you say shifters do you mean road type brifters? You could look at wolftooths website, they have a Tanpan for the rd if it is not quite working properly.

You may be better to post this in the bike shed section too.

I have a 2017 gx Fargo so would be very interested to hear about your build. I bought a stock standard one which came with SRAM GX. This works with road brifters and mtb rear derailleur. I would prefer XT than GX.

Mariner

Postby Mariner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks for the reply and yes it is road type shifters.
Wanted to try this out as a precursor to going Di2 but I think the easiest way is straight to Di2.
Found upgrade kits on ebay for less than was budgeting for.
My very limited understanding is that mix and match is transparent to the Di2 system within reason.

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 am

Mariner wrote:Thanks for the reply and yes it is road type shifters.
Wanted to try this out as a precursor to going Di2 but I think the easiest way is straight to Di2.
My very limited understanding is that mix and match is transparent to the Di2 system within reason.

You can match the shifters to MTB front and rear derailleurs but you can't mix the derailleurs between been road and mtb. Both have to be the same type.

Mariner

Postby Mariner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Yes using on a complete XT groupset.
Aiming to use my MTB as a set up platform then transfer over when I get a Fargo frame.
The 11-46t cassette is shown as 1x only has anyone got this working 2x?
Is it just a B screw mod or best not bother?
Another question regarding the Di2 Chip.
Maybe completely wrong on this but as I understand it the external battery holder BM-DN100* has the software chip(?) in it.
If I use the internal battery I have to use a Junction Box(?) that does have the chip in or is it in the new Display with wireless connectivity?
Good job this is a long term project and not sat here trying to put it all together.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:41 pm

The 11-46 cassette is recommended for 1x only not because of any B-screw limitation, but due to the sheer range across the cassette and available chain length the derailleur can carry to accommodate it, leaving little in reserve to allow for multiple chainrings. However, my calculations indicate that 11-46 coupled to a 2x with 10T difference between rings requires slightly less chain than the 3x option of 11-40 with 18T difference up front, so you should be able to do 2x with 11-46 with the long derailleur and no more than 12T front ring difference.

Onto the Di2 stuff, by "chip" I'm assuming you mean the Bluetooth connective stuff, however you need to be a tad more specific, because there are multiple chips in the essential circuitry of the components.... The external mount BM -DN100 and internal battery BT-DN110 (the internal battery is simply an integrated version of the power supply plus the "brain" of the external mount; the external system separates the two parts) contain the necessary processing power to handle information from the other components and supply that to the signalling unit, which can be either an inline Little Black Box, officially referred to simply as "Wireless Unit" EW-WU111 or upper junction/display unit SC-M9051 or SC-MT800. The external mount or internal battery cannot signal wirelessly in their own right. You will only need to use the EW-WU111 if you use a road-style under-stem SM-EW90 or bar-end (I've forgotten its number right now) junction unit or early XTR (if you can still get hold of one) SC-M9050 display. If you use a SC-M9051/MT800 display, DO NOT use a WU111 box, as the Di2 system will only support one wireless unit, and will crack the snots at you.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Velt wrote:
Mariner wrote:Thanks for the reply and yes it is road type shifters.

You can match the shifters to MTB front and rear derailleurs but you can't mix the derailleurs between been road and mtb. Both have to be the same type.

This is correct. You can mix between groupset levels, eg XTR/XT or Dura-Ace/Ultegra, but the derailleurs need to be paired as either road or MTB. The shifters do not matter.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.