Central Australia to offer world-class mountain bike tracks, for a price

Cardy George

Re: Central Australia to offer world-class mountain bike tracks, for a price

Postby Cardy George » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 am

human909 wrote:Yeah I was confused when I saw so many people thinking this was absurd. Especially odd given that this thread sits alongside a thread named "Build up a new bike or save for 2 weeks in French Alps ?????".... "$5.5k for 2 weeks incl airfares" So it would seem some people are happy to pay almost $400 a day for their cycling experiences...

For a package deal with guides, support, accommodation, sign me up!

For just access to a trail? I'll find somewhere else thanks!

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:55 am

Cardy George wrote:For just access to a trail? I'll find somewhere else thanks!

Build and maintain themselves, do they?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 am

hamishm wrote:
Cardy George wrote:For just access to a trail? I'll find somewhere else thanks!

Build and maintain themselves, do they?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course not. I'd rather pay with a shovel and put my $50 straight into the local restaurant/cafe/bike shop, just like so many others all around the country........

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 am

Cardy George wrote:I'd rather pay with a shovel

'Paying with a shovel' doesn't work nearly as well when you are an interstate or international tourist.
For sure, I personally wouldn't choose to pay $50 a day for trail access, but I can certainly understand many people who would. For my main recreational sport paying more than $5 a night in accommodation is expensive and $0 access is expected and most equipment lasts decades and doesn't have planned obsolescence that cycling does.

Cardy George wrote:
human909 wrote: So it would seem some people are happy to pay almost $400 a day for their cycling experiences...

For a package deal with guides, support, accommodation, sign me up!

There we go somebody willing to pay $400 a day for their cycling experience! That wasn't hard to find.
Last edited by human909 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:38 am

uart wrote:Excuse my naivety having never used trails like that, but how does that work in practice? Do they fence off the whole swathe of land and charge admission or what. If not fenced off then how do they stop random people riding in from where-ever and using it without paying?

Have you ever heard of a ranger? A trail warden? That is how every managed use trail I've been on works.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

uart

Postby uart » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 am

RonK wrote:Have you ever heard of a ranger? A trail warden? That is how every managed use trail I've been on works.

Like I said, I've never used trails like that (I don't even mountain bike very often). So are we're talking either checkpoints or just a random "show us you pass" type of thing.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 am

uart wrote:
RonK wrote:Have you ever heard of a ranger? A trail warden? That is how every managed use trail I've been on works.

Like I said, I've never used trails like that (I don't even mountain bike very often). So are we're talking either checkpoints or just a random "show us you pass" type of thing.

Depends on the implementation. There are multiple ways that this can be approached. Like many things the occasional check and large fines is sufficient deterrent to make most people pay their way.

In other cases the charging is restricted to use of the specially built facilities. For example with the Capes Walk in Tasmania the original proposal was to charge the use of the tracks. This caused uproar among local users particularly from groups that have put in the hard work over decades. A minor compromise was reached but it still increased the costs to those not needing the 5star service.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 am

uart wrote:So are we're talking either checkpoints or just a random "show us you pass" type of thing.

Walking trails like Overland Track require the pass to be clearly visible on your pack, that lets a ranger give you a quick glance from a distance and not waste everyone's time. If not visible from a distance then they have to go ask you to produce it and everyone will be less happy with the hassle.

They would likely issue a sticker which is supposed to go on the seattube like a flag.

Just a case of rangers doing their job on the path and if no pass visible they shout "oy where is your pass?"

No pass is generally trespassing and counterfeit pass can lead to criminal fraud charges (it happens down the snow, they do press charges).

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 pm

I think $50 a day is reasonable considering whats on offer and what it took to make the trail an experience.
A lot of ppl go to places like Bali and pee more than that against the wall.

I think it has a lot of potential to attract Australian and overseas riders.

Has anyone priced a coach / camping holiday in the NT lately...you can start at 6K onwards so to fly to the Alice and have a few days on the bike trail is a pretty cheap holiday even accounting for airfare/ accom/ food and beer expences. Going by the video that Ronk posted, looks to be a fun experience...maybe they could give locals a discount as they'll make that up by visitors.
I mean some resturants charge a premium for the ambience, scenic outlook and crusine experience....so i reckon if they market that experience well....i reckon they're on a good thing.
I'd have no issues paying 50 bucks a day for the experience of doing that trail.

Cheers

Brumby 33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

brumby33 wrote:A lot of ppl go to places like Bali and pee more than that against the wall

haha, too true :!: