Need motivation

The Walrus

Need motivation

Postby The Walrus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

I could do with some motivation.

I moved to a rural property in Northern NSW a year ago from Newcastle and as I expected, the riding conditions are quite different.

The roads are pretty poor and we live on a painful hill, so it’s kind of put me off riding a bit and I’ve been very slack and added 2 kilos!. I have a FBR and a 29er.

I’ve got back into this forum again to get back in the saddle...any motivational tips appreciated, even if it’s abusive :D
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Thoglette

Re: Need motivation

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 am

Read some Grant Peterson. Or Pirsig. Or Thoreau or de Botton.

Then go riding for fun. Or to check out the back paddock or get some milk. Walk the bike up the hill.

(From Sheldon, of course)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm

The "Don't Keep Track" advice works the best for me. I don't have a computer and try not to even note the time when I leave the house so I don't start trying for quicker times. Don't hold yourself to any plan and just go out and pedal around for 1 minute. It doesn't even have to be 10 minutes.

As for gaining weight in relation to lack of cycling. If you need exercise to maintain a specific desirable weight level, then you need to have a harder look at your diet. Gaining 2 kg in a year isn't too much of a problem. Gaining 2 kg every year for 10+ years will be.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the main problem here is the bad roads in the area. Sheldon's commandments and not tracking rides don't fix that.

I read bad roads as meaning bad traffic behaviour or lack of shoulders to ride on. That's enough to put many people off. I don't know what you can do about that, perhaps aside from getting someone to drive behind you in a van with hazard lights flashing.

I've seen that even in the Sydney area, last Saturday I think it was near Bella Vista. Road is fine, big bunch followed by a VW Transporter van, warning lights flashing.

I hope that isn't what on road riding is going to come to in the future.

Hills you can learn to love, but it's the bad traffic behaviour that is a big deterrent.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks guys, good thoughts and suggestions. The weight gain isn’t a concern at all but it’s just interesting that it’s gone up in that time.

The roads are full of pot holes and a bit scary in terms of room, or lack of!
I’m going to head out tomorrow for a care free ride with no expectations...I have considered getting an indoor trainer and dedicating the FBR to it and then taking the occasional ride on the 29er

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:I read bad roads as meaning bad traffic behaviour or lack of shoulders to ride on. That's enough to put many people off.
Agreed. And it's NSW, spiritual home of the nihilist motorist.

But it looks like a beautiful part of the world. (I've driven past a few times)

First step is stop thinking like a car driver or mileage-obsessed roadie. Think of cycling as a more pleasurable form of walking.
Last edited by Thoglette on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 pm

its a super nice part of the world -- but I can see the 'creek' part of Mullumbimby is a bit of a dead end with very narrow roads.

Maybe an early morning jaunt down to Brunswick for a swim in the surf?

As above - the trick is to have a purpose which doesn't relate to 'cycling' -- and then use your bike.

Trip to the shops, inspection of the fences on the property, herding the sheep/goats/llamas etc

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

The Walrus wrote:I could do with some motivation ... and we live on a painful hill ...
The Painful Hill is The Motivation.

I hope it is uphill on the way back home rather than on the way out, because those kinds of hills are always the best when you reminisce in twenty years time. If you think of that hill as 'painful' now, use that as The Challenge; another reason to practice it every chance that you can until after some practice, The Painful Hill becomes The Big Hill becomes The No Worries Hill. One day your heart will thank you for conquering The Painful Hill.

Do not look back in twenty years and think to yourself, "Oh boy I wish I could have ridden my bike up that painful hill when I was young and had the chance ..."

PS: Get Well Soon, Arnold. No pain, no gain.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:02 pm

I live in and ride in Hong Kong where I have the polar opposite to you. Tight roads, polluted air and dangerous drivers everywhere. So you can count your good fortune in that sense.

This might sound a little weird or spiritual but find a day with nice weather and go out and ride with a great big smile on your face and take in the fresh air and be mindful of the details of the scenery you encounter along the way. I think you will find a lot of enjoyment in that.

PS - I'm super envious of you guys living in Oz with all the wonderful roads and scenery :-)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:19 pm

My house is in an elevated valley, so climbing is unavoidable both out and back. 17 to 20 % is an everyday ride. Learn to see the hills as a blessing. Many flatlander cyclists would happily trade places with you.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:47 pm

ball bearing wrote: Many flatlander cyclists would happily trade places with you.
Yes, you need to seek the wise one (lovely strikes again)

Thoglette

It's Déjà vu all over again

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:You need to seek the snobby one (BSNYC strikes again)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:42 pm

My motivation has been down of late too. I smashed out plenty of kms in January, leading me to think of a 'record year' of kms. Since then I've recorded less than 100km/month for Feb and March. No more target for this year.

I'll ride when/where I want, aiming for enjoyment, not kms as my regular riding buddy is. His rides are all about getting over xx kms and tend to be dull rides to do so. I've ridden to work a couple of times choosing the more difficult up&over route but that enables me to ride MTB trails for more fun factor than plodding along the sharepath at 80-90rpm.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Thoglette wrote:
ball bearing wrote: Many flatlander cyclists would happily trade places with you.
Yes, you need to seek the wise one (lovely strikes again)
Good story. I am unaware of a wise one locally - there are a few wizened ones about.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Motivation is a funny thing, its different for different people.

I disagree with the advice about not having a bike computer and logging rides. Not only do a have all my rides on Strava for the last few years, I have a spreadsheet of monthly distances going back to 2011 when I took up cycling again (2011-2012 was pre-strava for me).

After about a year of riding, I started commuting to work 3 days a week on the bike (25 km each way, 15 of it on the Fernleigh track) and decided to set myself a monthly target of 500 km. I achieved this for 3 years straight. Sometimes I didn't feel like riding to work but would think, "hang on, if you don't you wont get your 500". Some months I was reduced to doing laps around the racecourse block at lunchtime, then doing an extra Fernleigh track on the evening of the last day of the month. Obsessed ? probably.

While I didn't particularly enjoy some of the rides just to get my 500, what I did enjoy was better fitness so when on a ride with mates I wasn't always the one lagging behind (even if I do own and fit a couple of "Fat Lad at the Back" jerseys). It meant I could do a 3 day, 250 km ride with some friends without dying.

Then changed jobs and now work from home (when I am not away in NZ or WA). My km's fell off drastically. I know I COULD have gone for a ride each morning and night but without the need to ride to work I just didn't. Luckily a couple of mates convinced me to ride on Saturday and Sunday mornings with a social club, and I am getting out a bit more. I am now averaging 500km a month, its just that some months have 800 and some 300

I still log every ride, I still try and get faster times, but I also enjoy a slower ride with friends (or now with my wife who took up riding at 50 cough cough, I better not say years old)

Long rambling post, but what I mean to say is that what motivates me would sicken others, you need to find your own motivation

P.S. I also live at the top of a bloody steep hill. Its only a short few hundred metres, but varies from 12% to 16%.

owly

Postby owly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 am

The Walrus wrote:I could do with some motivation.

I moved to a rural property in Northern NSW a year ago from Newcastle and as I expected, the riding conditions are quite different.

The roads are pretty poor and we live on a painful hill, so it’s kind of put me off riding a bit and I’ve been very slack and added 2 kilos!. I have a FBR and a 29er.

I’ve got back into this forum again to get back in the saddle...any motivational tips appreciated, even if it’s abusive :D
Any tracks/trails/gravel roads around?
Jump on Google Earth for a look. Grab the 29er.
MUFC :twisted:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:45 am

I live on a hill too....Well its hilly for me. I told this to a mate, as it is great to go for a ride but when I am a bit tired it is hard to get back home. :)

He kindly suggested how to fix the problem. He said don't go out for that long ride....

He went on to tell me to just get to the bottom of that hill; then ride back up again. Do it a few times instead of the longer ride.

Well I am a sprightly 90 plus kilos so I gave it a try. That hill no longer is a problem to me. Ok I still use the low gears but It no longer seems as steep as it was. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Get a triple, mountain or touring, nice 24 tooth granny ring with 36 biggest cog, those hills won't seem as big then, get some bigger tires and take to the gravel, back lanes, fire trails lead to some very nice interesting places where most motor vehicles don't go
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Thank you everyone for your input...always interesting to get a variety of opinions...motivation is certainly different form everyone as someone pointed out. The big hill is the return trip home, is 3 parts
and about 1k long.
I did in fact 'Seek The Wise One', which was a funny read, and just reminded me that I simply need to get off my lazy ass and go for a ride! I had thought about using the hill as my main challenge and I went for a ride today for a stroll around town with a view to getting as far up the hill as I could...I had been taking the car to the end of the road!

I went a bit further than planned and the hill killed me quite early on. I was getting worried about a clip stack as I was going that slow...although the hard tarmac would have been some kind of relief!
I got about 1/3 of the way up and had to dismount...I'm seeing that as my main challenge now, which kind of reduces the need to clock up k's, at least for now!

I am considering changing the 50-34 set up as I'm so used to my MTB triple, but I have no idea to what?

Thanks a lot guys, it was the kick up the ass I needed!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

The Walrus wrote:I am considering changing the 50-34 set up as I'm so used to my MTB triple, but I have no idea to what?
Depends. Before spending lots of money, see how big a cassette you can get on the back and how small a ring you can get on the front.

Is that on 110 BCD crank at the front?
What's the rear derailleur? And what cassette? How much space between your current big gear and the upper jockey wheel?
If you're running 8/9/10 shimano a rear derailleur swap can get you into 32T territory and maybe a bit more.
The Walrus wrote:Thanks a lot guys, it was the kick up the ass I needed!
We all need them from time to time :D :D

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

I've ridden Byron Bangalow Terania Creek, Nimbin, Tyalgum Chillingham Murwillumbah Mullum Federal region over the years.

I'd recommend you get rid of FBR and get a gravel grinder or roadie with discs that will take wider tires...then you can use it as a gravel grinder or roadie.

Murwillumbah has an active cycling club. Am sure you could do group rides and increase your network through that.

Though I have to say, if I moved to Northern NSW cycling would be the last thing on my mind.

I'd prefer to start producing something - plants animals whatever. There's always some plant that is in short supply at the markets. Last I heard Australian grown ginger garlic tumeric get good prices.

I'd also look at adding value to your property by extending/renovating your house, adding a commercial shed (presuming you are on at last half and acre), solar system.

It was a dream of mine to live down that way....always thought to take up playing the guitar if I did.

If you can't forget about the bike, consider a credit card ride. Take off on your bike for 6-8 hours and stay the night somewhere, then ride back the next day. It's amazing the territory that opens up. A small backpack or carrier bag with no more than 2kg of gear is enough. Many local pubs have great music and interesting food. Flutterby's at Tyalgum used to have a pizza night Friday and eclectic music.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Get onya friggin bike and stop making excuses! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:46 pm

I lived in rural WA for a couple of years. Discovered rail service roads, gravel tracks with opportunities for some mtbiking. Great fun exploring, riding to neighbouring towns without seeing another person, let alone a car.

The Walrus

Re: It's Déjà vu all over again

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Thoglette wrote:You need to seek the snobby one (BSNYC strikes again)
Another good read...good way to creat different options to add distance to your rides

Thanks

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:31 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Get onya friggin bike and stop making excuses! :idea:

Foo
I agree...so I did! :D