Need motivation

uart

Re: Need motivation

Postby uart » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:09 pm

CKinnard wrote: Murwillumbah has an active cycling club. Am sure you could do group rides and increase your network through that.
This is not a bad idea Walrus. Personally I find it super hard to motivate myself to go and drive somewhere just to ride my bike by myself. If I couldn't ride straight from home then I'd hardly ever ride EXCEPT for the case of where I am meeting up with other riders somewhere for an organised (though usually informally so) ride. Suddenly driving there if necessary is not an issue. I'm not sure why this is the case, but for me it certainly is the case.

Ask around (local cafes or coffee shops for example) of what days/times they have groups of riders through. Or just ask local riders that you see on your travels about cycling groups in the area. These are usually just informal groups that will welcome new riders. I'm pretty sure you'll find a group based in either Byron or Murwillumbah that meets up regularly for informal group rides like this. These guys will usually also have a good knowledge of the best local routes that are safe to ride and fun as well.

If you have to take a short drive down to Byron or up to Murwillumbah for a group ride a couple of times a week I guarantee that you won't find it a problem and will get motivated.

Then get a gravel grinder or use your MTB to explore local trails. :D

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Never underestimate the power of ignorance

uart

Postby uart » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am

Don't limit yourself to only competitive cycling groups though The Walrus. Like I say, if you ask around there are sure to be some casual cycling groups in either Murwil or Byron that do regular group rides informally.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 am

Thoglette wrote:
The Walrus wrote:I am considering changing the 50-34 set up as I'm so used to my MTB triple, but I have no idea to what?
Depends. Before spending lots of money, see how big a cassette you can get on the back and how small a ring you can get on the front.

Is that on 110 BCD crank at the front?
What's the rear derailleur? And what cassette? How much space between your current big gear and the upper jockey wheel?
If you're running 8/9/10 shimano a rear derailleur swap can get you into 32T territory and maybe a bit more.
The Walrus wrote:Thanks a lot guys, it was the kick up the ass I needed!
We all need them from time to time :D :D
There’s a lot of questions here that I can’t answer. All I know is it’s an 11 speed with 50-34 and 11-28 set up. It seems that a compact is a good option for me but I really feel like I need more options in the hills. I’m not as fit as 12 months ago but as soon as I got the bike I struggled with the change from the MTB.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:07 am

CKinnard wrote:I've ridden Byron Bangalow Terania Creek, Nimbin, Tyalgum Chillingham Murwillumbah Mullum Federal region over the years.

I'd recommend you get rid of FBR and get a gravel grinder or roadie with discs that will take wider tires...then you can use it as a gravel grinder or roadie.
I’ve had a cf roadie and hated the bars. I’ve tried many bikes over the years and I much prefer a flat bar option. I’ve got touring bars on it and wider tyres (25) but still have room to go bigger. It has disc brakes and it’s the perfect bike for me. So I won’t be changing, maybe upgrading some parts!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:22 pm

The Walrus wrote:There’s a lot of questions here that I can’t answer. All I know is it’s an 11 speed with 50-34 and 11-28 set up.
I'd be shocked if you can't get a xx-30 or xx-32 on the back. If you can read the brand and part numbers on the rear derailleur and crank we'd have a bit more to go on. Or take photos and link from a photo hosting site (not photobucket)
Last edited by Thoglette on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Shimano Ultegra SS
FSA Gossamer 50-34 Mega [BSA]

It seems that I may have to change the chain and derailleur, so not a cheap option, if its possible

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Went out again today and got about 100 meters from the top of the hill...pleased with that.

I see that Google Maps has elevation readings...it says the climb is 900 meters long with an elevation of 71 meters...my Garmin reading was 78 meters, my phone/walkmeter says 56!

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm

The Walrus wrote:...it says the climb is 900 meters long with an elevation of 71 meters...my Garmin reading was 78 meters, my phone/walkmeter says 56!
Whoa! I think the adjective, 'painful' might be most applicable in this case! 800 out of 900 deserves some consolatory celebration at least. Well Done! Next time you will need champagne! :lol:
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:28 pm

The Walrus wrote:Shimano Ultegra SS
Hmm, think that's ultegra 6800 SS which maxes out at 28T, the GS version does 32T. Probably best to start a new thread in The Shed - Duck and others hang out there and will know. Check out the existing threads - this may have been answered already.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I got a marvelous bit of motivation on Friday. I was climbing a gentle gradient (about 1%), trying to get up the hill at a reasonable speed but without working so hard that I would tank before the top, when I was overtaken by a grinning youth on an electric scooter. I was doing about 23 - 25 kph and he probably had 8 -10 kph on me. Any thoughts of conservation of energy were put on hold as I got after him. By the time he got about 100 metres ahead of me, I was holding him, and, when the hill leveled out, I started pegging him back. The gap opened again as he managed to sneak across an amber light while I had to stop, briefly. When I got going again, it took me a couple of kilometres to pull him back, and I was just picking my spot to pass him when he stopped and began fiddling with his machine.

When I got home I checked my Fly-6 footage, and I was able to see that whatever was wrong with his scooter magically righted itself as soon as I had gone past. Also it was the biggest, most substantial electric scooter I have ever seen - more a legitimate means of transport than a child's toy. I get passed on the road occasionally by another cyclist, and it has never fired me up like this, I think the grin did it.
Last edited by Philistine on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks guys...I appreciate the encouragement...100 meters seemed like a bloody long way at that moment.

I'm actually less inclined to change the bike and change myself...better for me I think! And I can use the cash I save on other bike related things I don't really need!

I have some old bike rollers that I've never been able to master...I'm wondering if I could attach some kind of support arm to the frame so the bike can't fall? Maybe thats another thread as well haha

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:49 pm

There’s nothing wrong with riding an MTB on the roads if you are riding for enjoyment or exercise. Still gets the ring in your hair and the legs moving. It’ll be easier for the climb home too. Then once your legs are back up to speed you can use your existing heating on the roadie.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:58 pm

The Walrus wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I've ridden Byron Bangalow Terania Creek, Nimbin, Tyalgum Chillingham Murwillumbah Mullum Federal region over the years.

I'd recommend you get rid of FBR and get a gravel grinder or roadie with discs that will take wider tires...then you can use it as a gravel grinder or roadie.
I’ve had a cf roadie and hated the bars. I’ve tried many bikes over the years and I much prefer a flat bar option. I’ve got touring bars on it and wider tyres (25) but still have room to go bigger. It has disc brakes and it’s the perfect bike for me. So I won’t be changing, maybe upgrading some parts!
fair enough....
what do you mean by touring bars? afaik they are the same as roadie bars, with drops.

I know how steep some of those hills get and how rough some roads are. My ideal setup down there is
- a lightish compact triangle CF frame and strong fork, on the smaller side if you are between sizes.
- able to accommodate tires up to 45mm wide. these can generally fit on standard width rims... I prefer 40-45mm for gravel and fire trails. the wider the more comfortable, safe, and less likely to puncture.
- wider tires generally means disc brakes, and hydraulic are more reliable ime.
- one gear lower than 1:1 gearing for gnarly hills or if you want to carry stuff....which might mean a 1x11 mtb setup or long chain road derailleur.

the diff in comfort between FBR and 'road frames' is not what it used to be...gravel bikes are more about comfort on rough roads at lower speeds in which aero positions are not a priority....you sit up higher and don't reach as far forwards.....

but appreciate there's more to life than buying a new bike.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 pm

bychosis wrote:There’s nothing wrong with riding an MTB on the roads if you are riding for enjoyment or exercise. Still gets the ring in your hair and the legs moving. It’ll be easier for the climb home too. Then once your legs are back up to speed you can use your existing heating on the roadie.
I totally agree with you. I’ve never been keen on off road riding tbh so my MTB is more set up for roads or urban riding.
Took it today and was going to conquer this bloody hill...150 meters from home and feeling good the chain came off! I came to an abrupt halt and couldn’t unclip in time :D you can guess the rest!