Non GPS computer with cadence and HR under $250

Micky F

Non GPS computer with cadence and HR under $250

Postby Micky F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am

G’day all, returning to the road after a few years away, I’m struggling to find a decent computer that is a non GPS model, with cadence and heart rate. I want all fittings and a HR strap included. Under or around $250 is perfect.
I’m confused and becoming disheartened by all the acronyms and peripheral bits and pieces that seem to be extra add ons. And I’m not interested in a GPS map or tracking device. I know where I am and where I want to go.
If anyone can point me in the right direction (a wee GPS joke) I’d be extremely grateful.

Jmuzz

Re: Non GPS computer with cadence and HR under $250

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am

Don't rule out GPS equipped devices, it's so cheap now that even cheaper stuff has it. Either configure if off or just don't synch it. GPS means you don't need speed sensor (except for tunnels).

Lezyne Super/Micro GPS is probably the most full featured kit at that exact price, but that's got the features you don't want, but you can just ignore the GPS logging.

You can get what you want for cheap cheap on AliExpress. Otherwise probably a Cateye brand unit and compatible HR strap if not included in kit, but be careful to stay with Ant+ or BluetoothLE standards so you aren't locked into an obscure brand.
An advantage of cheap noname is that it probably won't get stollen and even if it does it's cheap to replace. So you can just leave it on the bike.

There is a big variation in heartrate straps. Being wet/sweaty and the static generated by wind on polyester can screw the cheap stuff so it can be worthwhile jumping into the $100 range for good Polar or something if that is as critical feature, the fancy ones work when swimming now.

There are also wrist heartrate straps now which can be better than the bra strap.

Or a smart watch instead with inbuilt heartrate and support for Ant+ cadence sensor.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 am

have a look at the Bryton 310 as below:
https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/ ... escription

I have the 310 but I use my own cadence sensor and HRM (wahoo sensors).
It's ran flawlessly for the past 2 years. Battery needs recharging after 30 hours of riding.

The Bryton 330 comes with GPS and is only another $50 more (as below):-

https://www.pushys.com.au/bryton-rider- ... puter.html

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Micky F wrote:I’m confused and becoming disheartened by all the acronyms and peripheral bits and pieces that seem to be extra add ons. And I’m not interested in a GPS map or tracking device. I know where I am and where I want to go.
So you might think. Why do I have GPS devices for my kids & me? Well I can see where they are on my screen, they can find there way home if they want, and I can direct my mate to the nearest train station when his Roval rear wheel tears out three spokes. "!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens"
I seldom use the mapping function on the screen. It's all about downloading a course (on road or off road) and using it as a guide. And no-one pays for maps anymore.

You will find several on the forum will say you need a phone with an app. Add in a BTLE HR monitor (eg Wahoo) and that's "all you need". I disagree. I prefer my phone in my neoprene pouch in my jersey back pocket.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Or a smart watch instead with inbuilt heartrate and support for Ant+ cadence sensor.
Got one - but it was more expensive than a bike GPS unit. Also the watches support BTLE rather than Ant+.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:Or a smart watch instead with inbuilt heartrate and support for Ant+ cadence sensor.
Got one - but it was more expensive than a bike GPS unit. Also the watches support BTLE rather than Ant+.
That depends on the watch, a lot are cheap and a lot support both protocols (they are essentially the same thing under different licenses). Can get secondhand Garmin 910 for $100 which are still going strong with battery for a day, pre BLE (and need external heart).
A lot of sensors are both too, so all the same so long as careful of checking they match.

Micky F

Postby Micky F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Don't rule out GPS equipped devices, it's so cheap now that even cheaper stuff has it. Either configure if off or just don't synch it. GPS means you don't need speed sensor (except for tunnels).

Lezyne Super/Micro GPS is probably the most full featured kit at that exact price, but that's got the features you don't want, but you can just ignore the GPS logging.

You can get what you want for cheap cheap on AliExpress. Otherwise probably a Cateye brand unit and compatible HR strap if not included in kit, but be careful to stay with Ant+ or BluetoothLE standards so you aren't locked into an obscure brand.
An advantage of cheap noname is that it probably won't get stollen and even if it does it's cheap to replace. So you can just leave it on the bike.

There is a big variation in heartrate straps. Being wet/sweaty and the static generated by wind on polyester can screw the cheap stuff so it can be worthwhile jumping into the $100 range for good Polar or something if that is as critical feature, the fancy ones work when swimming now.

There are also wrist heartrate straps now which can be better than the bra strap.

Or a smart watch instead with inbuilt heartrate and support for Ant+ cadence sensor.
Thanks for the info, it seems I’m stuck with a GPS device.
I just want simplicity no connecting to this and that nor downloading to computers. etc
My laptop died so that’s not an option I need as I use my iPad for all I need now.
I’ll just go cheap and nasty and stay away from the Veloman I had before, it was a pig of a computer.

Micky F

Postby Micky F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks that sounds a viable alternative.

Micky F

Postby Micky F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Cheers, I thought of getting just a wireless with cadence and a seperate heart rate watch. All I want to do is spend 12 month getting race fit and see if my knee will hold on till 2019 road season.
I’m 59 now have a dodgy knee for a few years. I’ve just been riding my mtb for commuting and a bit of a hit out.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:47 pm

There are a few out there, eg Giant neos ant+, Giant Neos Pro or Sigma Rox 6.0
Anything you can do, I can do slower