New(er) Brooks Cambium C17 "All Weather"

LateStarter

New(er) Brooks Cambium C17 "All Weather"

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I was wondering if anyone had purchased and used one of the newer Brooks Cambium C17 "All Weather" saddles and had any observations? These have been out for a year or so but don't seem to be in many stores, especially local so I haven't had a chance to inspect.

I have had one of the original C17s for a few years and done 10,000kms or so. Certainly the fastest of my large collection of saddles and I have done some "blistering" 100 km rides on it (fast for me, still pretty slow for most) but by 90 km starting to get uncomfortable, very by 130 and hardly able to pedal by 160, have had some agony 200s on the C17, mostly sit bone bruising, can hardly walk let alone ride for days after, but the good performance up to 100 always drags me back to try some other adjustment and another try

The "all weather" versions have fibreglass rails and fibreglass for the bits that were metal on the previous versions and from the pictures on the web seem to have a much flatter front to back profile, the old ones had a pronounced rise to the rear. Older version was "flexible" in the mid section but rock hard in the back third.

Would love to have the less than 100kms performance of the older model with the prospect of 200-300+ of comfort, living in hope.

thanks
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Thoglette

Re: New(er) Brooks Cambium C17 "All Weather"

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:36 pm

How do you go on a B17 or B17 narrow?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Consider a Selle Anatomica. I've been riding them for over 5 years with lots of 200,300,400 and even a couple of 600-1200km rides.

They are leather though so you shouldn't get them too wet.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:08 pm

@Thoglette, I have a B17 Narrow in my collection, purchased before I really knew what sort of saddle might be better for me so it is certainly too narrow, I have several times put it on the bike and sat on it for a few kms before pleading to be released. I will though get a B17 almost certainly Imperial next but the finance committee requires an asset recycling exercise where I have to sell a few older failed saddles before investing in a new one. I read the reviews , "99% of purchasers would recommend..." with a hint of scepticism but the weight of positive opinion mandates a try. It would be ideal if the C17 was comfortable for me as I do a fair amount to riding in all weathers so a B17 will need a bit of more care.
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:28 pm

@hamishm, I am a sad case and have not one but 3 Selle Anatomicas in my collection. First a "True Leather" X which I did get wet a couple of times and it completely stretched out in about 6 months / 3,500 kms, no tension bolt left and about 315 mm long. They did though give me a very good discount on my second, a Watershed X. it is a few years old / 4,000kms but it annoys me as it too stretches, not as fast, about half way through the tension bolt, probably slowing , maybe stopped but now has more of an arrowhead shape with the edges rubbing groves in my leg, I could lace it perhaps but my other prejudiced against it is that my records indicate I am 2-3kph moving average slower on it than other saddles, except the C17 where I am about 4-5 kph faster than the SA.

My third was a recent H2, their newest, supposed to be for those riders who might prematurely stretch a normal X. Its comfortable like the others but it too has got to about 50% through the tension bolt with only 500 kms on it and requires adjustment during even very short (50) rides. Some people get years from them, other people I know have the same stretch experience like mine.

I have done dozens of 200s, one 300, dream of 400, 600, 1200 but won't get there unless I can sort this saddle thing. If leather gives me this then I have the rain cover for it, might have to be a B17 as SA has lost me after 3 attempts.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm

LateStarter wrote: It would be ideal if the C17 was comfortable for me as I do a fair amount to riding in all weathers so a B17 will need a bit of more care.
I asked the question as I am trying to understand what causes the C17 to be uncomfortable. (Being lazy I try to avoid exceeding 100km per day :P )
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Ah well LateStarter you are well ahead of me on the SA then. I started with a Titanico X which lasted me 4 years (25,000km+ at a guess), which when properly tensioned and positioned was amazing. I still had some bolt left when I replaced it with a WaterShed X series which better matched the colour of the bike.

To be honest the X WS has been a disappointment. I did get very it wet one day this year unfortunately but I have been tearing through the tension bolt. I have probably 8000km on it and have gone through half the bolt. It is very comfortable when I remember to tighten it. The X series at the time was speced for riders up to 250lb so I didn't expect to have trouble with it. (Here's the specs from their 2016 web site: https://web.archive.org/web/20161106061 ... s/x-series )

I was considering an H1/H2, but given the problems with the X WS I have been hesistant, and I'm disappointed to hear you had trouble with the H1/H2 already. They are marketing the X1/X2 as for the 120-190 lb rider, and the H1/H2 for the 190-250. I am in the latter category. May I confirm that you are within spec?

I have another X WS which has never been wet which is fine so far, but I have only done about 1200km on it. In hindsight I shouldn't have recommended the SA given my own problems, my apologies.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:57 pm

It is interesting that you find yourself slow on the SA. Did this apply to other leather saddles too? I have read this suggestion elsewhere too (although I don't remember if it was just SA or all leather saddles).

I hadn't really noticed personally. I have been riding on leather for about 8 years - B17, Imperial, then the two SAs. I am faster on my other bike with a "conventional" saddle but it is also a lighter and stiffer and carbon bike so not a fair comparison.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Thoglette wrote: I asked the question as I am trying to understand what causes the C17 to be uncomfortable. (Being lazy I try to avoid exceeding 100km per day :P )
Yes it is a bit of a problem when the "problem" only starts after 100kms, every adjustment needs a 150/200 to test, takes a long time.

My theory about cause is that the rear third of the C17 is stretched between the rivets very tight, just about rock hard, so if your sit bones are of a particular shape that does not fit the shape of the C17 rear then no amount of fore/aft & tilt up / down will accomodate them. From forums seems there people who love them and people who have the sit bone problem.

Was why I was interested in whether the "all weather" versions were the same or different shape.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:45 pm

hamishm wrote:. I am in the latter category. May I confirm that you are within spec?
Yes, at 75 kg / 165 lbs I am well within spec, I do a fair bit of riding though, but yearn for more 300s and then longer before I get worn out, big limiting factor is saddle, most of the rest I have addressed (I hope0

Many people who praise the Selle Anatomica had theirs in the Titanico era so I can only presume there has been a change in the leather supplied or process. I would be happy if they lasted a year or two and then fell apart as they are comfortable but the constant adjustment during and before rides drives me nuts. The H2 is a great disappointment as it looks a beautiful bit of work, is a little firmer but is stretching faster that either of my previous ones and has never been n the wet.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm

hamishm wrote:It is interesting that you find yourself slow on the SA. Did this apply to other leather saddles too? I have read this suggestion elsewhere too (although I don't remember if it was just SA or all leather saddles).
I keep obsessive records so am sure I am slower on the SAAs, especially on hills, it seems to absorb the energy of the pedal stroke, probably contributing to the comfort at the expense of power / performance. I have not used other leather saddles and most other leather saddles are harder / stiffer than SAA

I need the "comfort" to enable just covering the distance but also just a little bit faster otherwise I will never be ahead of the clock enough to get any sleep on the 600+ rides.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 am

I've been looking into the All Weather's as well. I haven't been able to find any local distributors for the all weather, although Pushys https://www.pushys.com.au/shop-by-brand ... s.html?p=1 does sell a reasonable range of Brooks saddles.

They can be purchased on ebay, but the C13 I am interested in comes in three widths and I don't have a clue which one is for me. Or I could just go the C15?

The pain of getting the right saddle!
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am

grimbo wrote:I've been looking into the All Weather's as well. I haven't been able to find any local distributors for the all weather, although Pushys https://www.pushys.com.au/shop-by-brand ... s.html?p=1 does sell a reasonable range of Brooks saddles.

They can be purchased on ebay, but the C13 I am interested in comes in three widths and I don't have a clue which one is for me. Or I could just go the C15?

In case you are not aware, there is no C13 All Weather.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am

RonK wrote:
grimbo wrote:I've been looking into the All Weather's as well. I haven't been able to find any local distributors for the all weather, although Pushys https://www.pushys.com.au/shop-by-brand ... s.html?p=1 does sell a reasonable range of Brooks saddles.

In case you are not aware, there is no C13 All Weather.
Ah - you're right. Maybe I'll just jump into the C15 All Weather and hope it fits my butt.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:06 pm

RonK wrote: In case you are not aware, there is no C13 All Weather.
There is now although not (yet?) in the 158mm wide version.
https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/23/first- ... bon-rails/