Stopping in the middle of mixed left-turn/straight-forward lanes

human909

Re: Stopping in the middle of mixed left-turn/straight-forward lanes

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Personally I wouldn't filter to the front in that situation. Because you have the unenviable choice between straddling the lanes like you did (and potentially being in between two vehicles going straight ahead), or sitting in the middle of the left lane and blocking cars (and I think it is pretty poor form to filter to the front just to do that).

Huh? You are missing the safest and most courteous choice. Position yourself in the RIGHT lane. (I encounter this situation often and never have any issues. I'd only not filter if the traffic is light, but when it is heavy and I'm moving faster than the cars I do filter.)

Filter forward, position yourself in the right lane. Either keep this position and move left when safe further along the road OR move into the left lane once the left arrow has dissipated and it is safe to do so.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 pm

human909 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Personally I wouldn't filter to the front in that situation. Because you have the unenviable choice between straddling the lanes like you did (and potentially being in between two vehicles going straight ahead), or sitting in the middle of the left lane and blocking cars (and I think it is pretty poor form to filter to the front just to do that).

Huh? You are missing the safest and most courteous choice. Position yourself in the RIGHT lane. (I encounter this situation often and never have any issues. I'd only not filter if the traffic is light, but when it is heavy and I'm moving faster than the cars I do filter.)

Filter forward, position yourself in the right lane. Either keep this position and move left when safe further along the road OR move into the left lane once the left arrow has dissipated and it is safe to do so.

But then you'd still have to move in front of straight-ahead vehicles in the left lane at some stage. So you'd be filtering in front of cars just to block them, which I consider impolite. (Unless you're sure you're faster than them, which is probably why we disagree: to me, it doesn't look like particularly slow traffic in that video.)

On top of that, I'd want to be familiar with the traffic light sequence before claiming the right lane. Some of these lights go from green left arrow to green circle without a gap, which could leave the cyclist stuck in the right lane while straight-ahead cars go past in the left lane.

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Some of these lights go from green left arrow to green circle without a gap, which could leave the cyclist stuck in the right lane while straight-ahead cars go past in the left lane.

That is another situation that brings back one or two scary memories. Adelaide and Perth traffic-lights seem quite similar, albeit narrower (Adelaide 8', Perth 9' from memory) roads if I remember from 1990. Also more of that green-arrow to green-circle now I think back, as you described. It is not so common in Perth, in my limited range of travel now.

Whether one stops on the left side of the right lane or the right side of the left lane, there is almost always going to be a conflict for the cyclist with any car in the left lane when the green-circle light turns on, especially if the car is moving and not indicating left. A left mirror really helps one to mask the anxiety because you can see what is coming up behind on the left without having to crane your neck and exhibit indications of fear to the bogan behind you.

One of the good things about this little 250w electric help is that I have never been passed from a standing start by any car taking off at the lights before I get across the intersection, so I have some confidence that no one is going to pass me down the left across the lights. If I am on the right-side of the left lane, it would be technically illegal, and if I was on the left side of the right lane, I would be back into the left lane well before a car could get its bumper on my back wheel ... as long as I am watching the lights with the right pedal at 90* and ready to push as soon as the light goes green.

NOTE: IT IS MANDATORY TO LOOK RIGHT, LOOK LEFT, AND LOOK RIGHT AGAIN BEFORE RACING ON THE GREEN LIGHT. IT IS NOT A DRAG STRIP.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm

human909 wrote:Huh? You are missing the safest and most courteous choice. Position yourself in the RIGHT lane. (I encounter this situation often and never have any issues. I'd only not filter if the traffic is light, but when it is heavy and I'm moving faster than the cars I do filter.)

Agreed. As long as I know the light sequence, I stay in front of the right hand lane vehicle until the left turn arrow changes to red, then shuffle across to the left. Any vehicles going straight ahead generally can see you have allowed left turning vehicles to pass through unobstructed so they have less of a reason to spit the dummy when you move across in front of them. Also by being properly in the right lane, left turning vehicles are legally able to pass you. Finally, vehicles in the right lane can appreciate you blocking the impatient so-and-sos who have tried to jump the queue by shooting up the left lane which means you've got friends if they decide to have a go at you.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm

solmanic wrote:
human909 wrote:Huh? You are missing the safest and most courteous choice. Position yourself in the RIGHT lane. (I encounter this situation often and never have any issues. I'd only not filter if the traffic is light, but when it is heavy and I'm moving faster than the cars I do filter.)

Agreed. As long as I know the light sequence, I stay in front of the right hand lane vehicle until the left turn arrow changes to red, then shuffle across to the left. Any vehicles going straight ahead generally can see you have allowed left turning vehicles to pass through unobstructed so they have less of a reason to spit the dummy when you move across in front of them. Also by being properly in the right lane, left turning vehicles are legally able to pass you. Finally, vehicles in the right lane can appreciate you blocking the impatient so-and-sos who have tried to jump the queue by shooting up the left lane which means you've got friends if they decide to have a go at you.

Yep this works, and a bit of eye contact= no issues. Better than having some Knob beeping and shouting at you. If your not confident enough to straddle the lanes best keep to footpaths.