Shipping Bikes to USA

defy1

Shipping Bikes to USA

Postby defy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Well I recently got a new job on the East cost of USA and moving there in about month. I am shopping around best way to get my road bike and mountain bike there. One is about 8kg and there other one about 14 kg.
One quote came out to be 1200! yikes.
Appreciate any alternate options.

RonK

Re: Shipping Bikes to USA

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Take it as baggage.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm

defy1 wrote:Well I recently got a new job on the East cost of USA and moving there in about month. I am shopping around best way to get my road bike and mountain bike there. One is about 8kg and there other one about 14 kg.
One quote came out to be 1200! yikes.
Appreciate any alternate options.
From Australia, good luck. Best bet, take them both on the plane with you by buying extra baggage allowance. I sent a bicycle frame only to the USA for repairs, and it cost me $475. That was with Pack & Send.

There are a number of services you can use, such as https://www.bikeflights.com/, but they all work out the same costs from Australia.
The problem is you are charged by volumetric weight, which means you pay for something like 34kg regardless of actual weight.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks all - looks like extra baggage is the best bet. Might just take the roadie, else its too much for one person.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I recently brought a bike back from Japan as luggage. Got a cardboard bike box from the shop I purchased the bike from. Packed it carefully, pipe insulation, zip ties, etc. You are allowed two items as checked baggage, my second item was a cardboard box to bring the weight up to allowance. You should be able to take two bike boxes up to the baggage allowance. BTW, make sure you deflate tyres & pack so it is easy to check. No co2 cartridges or aerosols. I was asked, luckily I had deflated & was not asked to check. I had no cartridges or aerosols.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 am

twowheels wrote:I recently brought a bike back from Japan as luggage. Got a cardboard bike box from the shop I purchased the bike from. Packed it carefully, pipe insulation, zip ties, etc. You are allowed two items as checked baggage, my second item was a cardboard box to bring the weight up to allowance. You should be able to take two bike boxes up to the baggage allowance. BTW, make sure you deflate tyres & pack so it is easy to check. No co2 cartridges or aerosols. I was asked, luckily I had deflated & was not asked to check. I had no cartridges or aerosols.
can I have more than two..will have two smallish suitcases + the bike bag

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

That will depend on the airline. Most will allow you to buy an extra piece.

It's worth considering the baggage allowance and cost of an extra piece of luggage as well as the ticket price. A cheap ticket may not be such a bargain once baggage is included.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:20 pm

I left my old suitcase in Japan, they weigh too much. I packed weight into the bike box as well, ie the bike box contained more than just the bike. packed strategically to use the contents to avoid crushing. Arrived no damage whatsoever. One thing I would do additionally is apply a cheap ratchet strap horizonally & vertically on the outside of the box.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:34 pm

twowheels wrote:..... No co2 cartridges or aerosols. I was asked, luckily I had deflated & was not asked to check. I had no cartridges or aerosols.
The issue re CO2 cartridges seems to be an airline one. When I flew to Europe with Qatar, the airline position was that up to 6 x 15g were OK. Got to the checkout, and I declared this (and has copies of correspondence), a dude was called, and this was OK'd.

Got to take the bike bag to the oversize checkin, and the security guy asked, I repeated the info, but then another security guy quoted the IATA guidelines as no more than 4 (2 in hand luggage and 2 checked in). I duly transferred 2 from the bike bag to my check in, and all good. No issues when going through the scanners either. :roll:

Back to the OP - if you have a job OS, why isn't the company paying for the relocation (or is it just a short term job) ? If it's too hard, just buy something over there ?

Cheers

Michael B

PS watch out for Trump and guns ....

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am

MichaelB wrote:
twowheels wrote:
Back to the OP - if you have a job OS, why isn't the company paying for the relocation (or is it just a short term job) ? If it's too hard, just buy something over there ?

Cheers

Michael B

Yes they are providing relocation budget. Totally forgot about it, will use that :)

lol (AT) Trump and guns....

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am

defy1 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
twowheels wrote:

Cheers

Michael B

Yes they are providing relocation budget. Totally forgot about it, will use that :)

lol (AT) Trump and guns....
Well, I am now in South America for a few years so my tip is chill.
Put your bike in storage and just buy new once you settle in. Plenty of good ones in the US now. You may even find a good LBS as part of the scoping out the new bike.

I was going to bring one of my more robust cx/ touring bikes over but being a 61 cm frame the boxed-up bike was vast. Okay, once you are at the airport and it is on the trolley fine, but bike boxes are hard work getting to the airport when you need to pack them in a car, taxi or worse onto a train or bus. (Have you seen an empty Qantas bike box??? OMGosh I struggled to get the thing into my wagon with out folding it)...Then you have to do the same again once you arrive.
Anyway, I gave up and as I am in a far flung woop woop the big box thing at arrival was just beyond me so went a new frame that I can travel with ..( https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/break ... -frame-kit ) these things are simple to pack up and down and they come with a very good bag. For me I think it was a well spent part of my relocation allowance and the bike suits all my needs.

Qantas extra baggage for the bike bag (at bang on 22.5 kg so less than the 23 for each bag) from Sydney to Santiago was 200 aud ( my brain hurts so I think? could have been 120 ) when I paid at the airport but you can pre-book extra luggage or a bike box 3, 4 or it could be 5 days prior and it should be cheaper) My next legs, domestic Sth American flights was going to be 20 US each but the visa payment system was done that day so my bike winged it with me for free..

Oh and maybe have a look at the ritchey breakaway outback maybe suit as a real one bike to do it all https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/ritchey ... et-review/

Anyway enjoy being out of Australia for a while. I sure am.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Coal to Newcastle, I'd be buying a nice bike there and bringing it back!