Shimano SL-M700 Friction Shifters

twowheels

Shimano SL-M700 Friction Shifters

Postby twowheels » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm

I bought a pair of Shimano SL-M700 Friction Shifters some time back, haven't fitted them before. They appear symettrical, ie, travel both sides is equal. I had a look to see how the cable is inserted and they both have a plastic plug in a cable hole each. Now I'm wondering if they were unused. Has anyone had experience with these shifters? My current thinking is that the plastic plugs should be removed and either shifter becomes left or right shifter.
Thx

Duck!
Expert

Re: Shimano SL-M700 Friction Shifters

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 pm

They will be specific left & right, even only being friction shifters, due to the direction the cable enters and is pulled around the shifter. The part number marked on each unit should specify which side it's for, SL-M700-L or SL-M700-R.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Wow, rocking horse poo!

They should be not-quite symmetrical. If you mount them on bars, the cable exit should be at a slight angle & you want them so the cable exits in front of the bars.

The other way of telling them apart is to turn the levers so the cable is fully slack, then mount them so that the lever is behind the bar - ie push with your thumb to apply tension, nudge with your forefinger to release.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

LG

Postby LG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 pm

I've got a set on an old MTB, great shifters with a slight ratchet feel to them. As mentioned they are definitely left and right, there is an ever so slight curve to the lever which arcs back.
LG = Low Gear

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:They should be not-quite symmetrical.
They should be very much symmetrical (but definitely not identical), as they will be a miror image of each other. Another clue to left/right orientation is that the clamp bolt will typically be behind the bar, or if the bolt runs below the bar, the head will face rearward.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Except with these shifters there are 2 bolts on the clamp and the whole bottom clamp bracket comes off so can't be used to id left and right. Just checked mine and can't see a L or R label on them either, as mentioned the levers are slightly curved and the rear of the lever feels flat'ish and fits nicely against the thumb, the front of the lever is more rounded.
LG = Low Gear

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am

I was looking for a L & R on the metal body, where usually found. Nope. Turn them over, on the rubbery plastic lever cover I instead found F & R (front/rear!).
I also figured out how to install the cable, have to remove the top cap/s. Velobase has an exploded photo which in incomplete, missing a star washer http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 9&Enum=104
Later again I found this link https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -138119923 which indicates the levers are swappable left/right.
Worth knowing if only a left or right lever comes up for sale. Noice shifters.