bike lock advice - POLL

cheap light lock for cafe style use

$25 kryptonite cable through wheels and frame to a padlock.
14%
$25 combination lock through frame and possibly rear wheel
29%
$100+ highly rated U lock and locking skewers (zefal lock n roll?)
57%

Total votes: 7
newierider

bike lock advice - POLL

Postby newierider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 am

hi guys, im off to the giro in a few weeks and im taking a bike with me to ride to and from hotels, up the odd mountain etc.. i havnt had a bike lock in years as i dont leave it out anywhere so this world is new to me!

ive been looking into cables, u locks etc.. so i know what the best ones are that have been tested are.

i am going to be leaving the bike in very busy areas at start lines / finish lines and in my hotels / car. the bike i am taking is something is something i have built up from spare parts, a 7 year old trek 1.2 frame but with a new tiagra groupset.. the wheels on it are decent though as they are from my $3500 scott cr1, this is the only wheel option i have.. al up its probably only worth a few hundred dollars.

my first thought was just a cheap easy light lock, just a mild deterrent i guess as i dont imagine anyone will be walking around with big bolt cutters in these areas.. but who knows..

theres also the annoyance of being stuck without a bike or its wheels!

the bike will be insured.

check out the poll below or leave your thoughts below, thanks guys

P!N20

Re: bike lock advice - POLL

Postby P!N20 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am

Cable locks are always at the mercy of bolt cutters, but it sounds like a D/U lock might be a bit cumbersone to carry around. What about the Abus Granit X-Plus folding lock? Packs up pretty small but is still fairly high security: https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-bordo ... 90255.html

Maybe it's more than you want to spend.

I wouldn't worry about locking skewers, just remove your front wheel and lock it up with the rear if you're worried about it.

newierider

Postby newierider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 am

P!N20 wrote:Cable locks are always at the mercy of bolt cutters, but it sounds like a D/U lock might be a bit cumbersone to carry around. What about the Abus Granit X-Plus folding lock? Packs up pretty small but is still fairly high security: https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-bordo ... 90255.html

Maybe it's more than you want to spend.

I wouldn't worry about locking skewers, just remove your front wheel and lock it up with the rear if you're worried about it.

thanks mate! i hadnt thought about removing the wheel! :) great advice.

theres also the extra deterrent of a cheaper u lock but i might struggle to lock up two wheels with it too.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

Really bike security is about deterring/foiling the opportunist thief and persuading the pro that your bike is too much trouble so they go and look for an easier mark. Seriously, if a pro wants your bike enough he will have it. All locks (or what they are locked to) can be broken quite swiftly with the correct equipment.
However making your bike harder to steal than the one across the road will keep them away 99% of the time. So, it's a matter of appearance really. A good cable lock will deter most thieves except a pro needing a hit, U locks will make pros look for an easier mark unless they really want your bike. The Abus segmented lock mentioned above looks impressive and should make all sorts slope off to find a less careful owner. just don't lock it to a wooden paling fence or something equally fragile :wink:

Richard

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:57 am

This poll suffers the same problem as helmet effectiveness studies: it assumes that everyone has the same needs and is in the same situation.

For the OP, who is asking something specific, you're also assuming you'll always be in the same situation. And that the list above is the total list of options ("Pepsi or Coke?" is not really a choice)

What I (or rather Russ and Laura) would recommend is checking that your hotels have somewhere inside where you can store your bikes overnight. If that's not possible, consider rinkoing your bike (wheels and bars off & in a bag) and putting it in your room.

When you do have to leave your bike outside, Sheldon recommends picking somewhere public and using both U-bolt and a cable lock (on the grounds that petty thieves are unlikely to be carrying both sets of tools). Plus camouflaging it as something less valuable (and removing pinchable extras)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm

For your purpose I’d pick a decent cable lock. Eas-ish to carry, can lock through wheels and frame. Sure, not ideal for high security but will prevent opportunistic thieves.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Cables are easy to cut. Small U-lock in my opinion are ideal. (A proper New York chain is an alternative but heavier.)

I say small U-lock because the big ones are simple to break with a hydraulic jack. A small one ensures no jack can fit in.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Abus Bordo Granit lock, as above.

I know Aldi had a cheaper version once ...

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Have a look at the Hiplock - Wraps around your waist like a belt when riding (without having to lock it on) and you don't really notice it but at the same time is a relatively solid chain lock.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:30 pm

There options and alternatives - depending on your situation / scenarios.

Check out this: Tracking Stolen Bikes and preventing theft

I like to secure all bolts / hex bolts (primarily wheels, maybe seat) with an alternative that can't easily be accessed.
Then I have a primary sturdy U-Lock (or D Lock) and for extra security, may use a second cable lock for the wheels (also threaded through the frame). Goal is also to make the bike look harder or more complicated to steal.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:13 pm

All around Italy we used an Abus Amparo rear-wheel ringlock. Always there on our bikes, ready to use. Locking the bikes was as easy as locking a car. GREAT for that quick cafe stop. For longer stops we did have a cable that plugs into the ringlock, and when in large towns, or while staying overnight we always made use of hotel store-rooms, our room, or the hotel's garage.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 pm

deflate the tyres each time & put on a real crappy paint job - bits of red/brown so it looks like rust.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Cordless angle grinder.
Edit: sorry prevention thread > crappy paint job.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Nate wrote:deflate the tyres each time & put on a real crappy paint job - bits of red/brown so it looks like rust.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 am

newierider wrote:my first thought was just a cheap easy light lock, just a mild deterrent i guess as i dont imagine anyone will be walking around with big bolt cutters in these areas.. but who knows..

the bike will be insured.

Bear in mind that your insurance policy may not pay out if they deem the locking method wasn't sufficient.

Read your PDS
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000