Bicycle transport as everyday transport

human909

Re: Bicycle transport as everyday transport

Postby human909 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 pm

My local shops in an extremely busy cycling area renovated without appropriate catering for bikes. There was a token few racks at the edge of the car park 150m away. Useless.

Conveniently there was some architectural features near the entrance that made great places to lock up bikes.... At first the tried signs telling people not to lock their bikes up to it. It worked a little.

But then they did the sensible thing and remove 3 parking bays near the entrance and turned them into bike parking for around 36 bikes...

Cycling parking infrastructure works on when they come it gets built. :-P

I've noticed the same at Melbourne University which had a massive 50-100fold increase in cycling.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 pm

In Melbourne, at least from what I've seen, new builds invariably have some decent bicycle parking.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am

Nothing like what the OP had in mind but for LIGHT loading errands I typically use my unicycle and a packpack. It has the advantage that I can readily mix it with public transport, putting me within an easy 5km of anywhere I need to get in the metro area. This means that I can and have been for most of my life a one car family.

Obviously where larger loads or time is an issue I borrow the wife's car. But it does mean that we have got away with being a one-car family for most of our 44 years together.

(PS I now have a long bulky Landcruiser for towing the caravan so I tend to cheat a lot more these days. :? )
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am

Here's an option, though I have only ever seen two in all my years of riding Perth. they come in electric or manual and there are a range of front end configurations to choose from or to add on. Side by side kids seats for example.

Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 pm

3 wheeled cargo bikes handy like a pig. Two wheeled are far more comfortable for Everingham but walking pace.

(Single front wheel designs are notoriously unstable. Single rear wheel designs is fantastic IF you have cambered front steering which is inevitably impractical in human powered transport.)