axe-wielding motorist threatens cyclist in Adelaide

cooperplace

axe-wielding motorist threatens cyclist in Adelaide

Postby cooperplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:52 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... fa2a71fce5

I've always claimed we have the worst drivers here; does this prove I'm right?
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

NASHIE

Re: axe-wielding motorist threatens cyclist in Adelaide

Postby NASHIE » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm

cooperplace wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/police-investigating-axewielding-cyclist-v-driver-road-rage-case-in-kensington-gardens/news-story/4600006571e60b9331ad36fa2a71fce5

Mmm, you just can't go slapping someones car and breaking the mirror ? without expecting some sort of retaliation. The axe is a worry thought. Couple of knife's pulled in Perth, so Adelaide's not alone.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Did you see that moron with the chain saw last week? In Sydney.

Adelaide is just joining the heap.
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 pm

NASHIE wrote:
cooperplace wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/police-investigating-axewielding-cyclist-v-driver-road-rage-case-in-kensington-gardens/news-story/4600006571e60b9331ad36fa2a71fce5

Mmm, you just can't go slapping someones car and breaking the mirror ? without expecting some sort of retaliation. The axe is a worry thought. Couple of knife's pulled in Perth, so Adelaide's not alone.

Yeah gotta agree. Obviously there’s more to the story, but if you’re going to intentionally damage someone’s property you have to expect some consequences.

Bet he was hosing out his knicks when he got home though :lol: :lol:

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm

So by 'here', you mean Australia?
Yes, you would be right. :wink:

Dotted lines on a map don't separate the 'ferals' from the 'folk'.

Doesn't matter what state you live in, some Australians are bumwipes,(I did write something waaaaay more descriptive, but you get the gist) whether you ride a bicycle, or drive a vehicle, they're everywhere! :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:41 am

Will admit that I an not reading the article, it is a scenario that strangely comes up from time to time.

As a rider, the reaction and retaliation is a tough one. You can be shaken to the bone by a dangerous pass or action but as soon as you react too much... too verbal or worse physically in any way, then you become part of the problem.

It is worth reminding yourself, even with the worst behaviour by others, switching from victim to particpant leaves you worse off.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/law- ... b4b385107b (might be paywalled, I seem to be allowed one Adelaide Advertiser article a day).

No charges laid. According to police, neither man wanted to take action against the other.

The article also says that, according to a witness, the cyclist "shouted abuse at the driver, banged on a passenger window and smashed a side mirror", before the filmed incident (where the driver struck the bicycle with a tomahawk and then threatened the cyclist).

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 pm

cyclist could get malicious damage depending... but if it was a close call & he was shaken - dont think it'd stick.
However wielding a tomahawk to deliberately cause damage & intimidate.. easy enough one.

There's probably a good chance the cyclist spoke to police & they pressured him by saying they'd charge him & he'd be in all sorts of grief, which made him back down & they no longer have to do work.

This has happened to me MULTIPLE times, i simply call the police bluff & welcome their charge & day in court. They QUICKLY back down.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I just keep my head down if ever some yobbo abuses me, for exactly this reason - you never know just how likely the driver is to pull a weapon on you. I'd rather get home to my wife and kids alive but angry/shaken, rather than get stabbed.

I've no doubt the driver initiated the incident with dangerous driving, but smashing the guy's car was only going to end in further trouble.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:22 am

Mububban wrote:I just keep my head down if ever some yobbo abuses me, for exactly this reason - you never know just how likely the driver is to pull a weapon on you. I'd rather get home to my wife and kids alive but angry/shaken, rather than get stabbed.

I've no doubt the driver initiated the incident with dangerous driving, but smashing the guy's car was only going to end in further trouble.

Normally I'm in control and have a calm head in most situations but I have lost my rag on a few occasions. I recall one time after a group ride I was riding home (along with Sogood of this forum) and had a shouting match with a driver who was horn blasting me from behind for an idiotic reason. I was in the early days of coming back to riding after my amputation, my fitness was low and I was very tired and just wanted to get home. An unnecessarily aggressive driver sent me over the edge and my rational brain was pushed aside. I was unhappy that I'd lost it but also realised that it can/does happen, especially when we are under stress.

Once in the early 2000s while on my way home with a mate riding through the city (on the very wide part of Park street in the middle of Hyde Park) and with almost zero traffic about an idiot driver nearly took us out with a deliberate swerve at us. At the red light 75m up the road he was stopped at we enquired as to his intent by tapping on the driver's side window, and without hesitation he threatened us with a handgun. He had his wife and children in the car.

Over many years the cumulative trauma of all the aggressiveness, inattentiveness and incompetence from motor vehicle drivers played a major part in my decision to leave Sydney and find a far better place to live and ride a bike. You can use all the defensive riding tactics and strategies you like, choose where and when to use or avoid certain ride route options, do all the right things on a bike and behave courteously but the reality is the level of driving behaviour in Australia is simply awful and it kills and maims people.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:You can use all the defensive riding tactics and strategies you like, choose where and when to use or avoid certain ride route options, do all the right things on a bike and behave courteously but the reality is the level of driving behaviour in Australia is simply awful and it kills and maims people.

I agree with this. I have driven across multiple countries in Europe and I have never seem such uneducated, impatient drivers as I do here at home.

Most of this ia due to stupid laws and road rules that do not hold drivers accountable.

In most of Europe the laws protect the vulnerable (bikes/motorcycles) for obvious reasons.

Until the laws change we will continue to have entitled attitude from drivers. It's the governments fault for allowing this to happen and not educating road users

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Until the laws change we will continue to have entitled attitude from drivers. It's the governments fault for allowing this to happen and not educating road users

Plus it is the infrastucture and also culture which grows around integrating bike riding.

Some compact towns with narrow streets have seen bike and scooter use grow out of necessity whereas Australian towns and cities are typically generously planned with wide access and throughfares that have easily been filled by lanes for motor vehicles.