Logistics of sending bike back to Oz from NZ

Ross

Logistics of sending bike back to Oz from NZ

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 am

So I'm thinking of doing the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge in NZ later this year and also plan to spend a couple of weeks doing non-cycling sightseeing in various other parts of the country afterwards.

I reckon it will be a PITA to drag a bike around for this time (if in fact it is even doable, not sure of transport arrangements for sightseeing yet, likely to be a combo of bus and train travel) so I was thinking of sending my bike back home to Oz by courier (TNT etc). Has anyone done such a thing before and how did you do it?

I don't want to hire a bike over there, I like my own bike (obviously!) and have it setup the way I like it (pretty important IMO if you are riding 160km) and have found in the past that a lot of hire bikes are lower/poor quality.

Another thought - customs won't try and sting me for import duty will they? If they bother to look at the bike (planning to use Scicon bike bag) they will (should) be able to tell that it is obviously not a new one with the odd chip and scratch.

RonK

Re: Logistics of sending bike back to Oz from NZ

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am

It will be expensive. Better to store the bike somewhere until your flight home.
Try Warmshowers - there is bound to be a host willing to store it for you. Or ask on the Bikepacking New Zealand and NZ Cycle Touring Facebook groups.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ross

Re: Logistics of sending bike back to Oz from NZ

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Problem is Lake Taupo is not really near to where the sightseeing starts and even further away from where the tour finishes.

Not really a fan of leaving my bike with random people who I've never met before either.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Edit: Looks like the sightseeing tour I wanted to go on starts a day too early for me anyway
Other options, if I am able to drag the bike along on my sightseeing is to pick a North Island only tour or, go with a guided bike tour of Lake Taupo area which includes entry to Lake Taupo Challenge

Edit #2: Just found a bike hire/tour company with barnches in both Christchurch and Auckland that will let me store luggage (a bike) from $5 per day. They also do guided or unguided bike tours, with or without bike hire