Best braking technique?

CKinnard

Re: Best braking technique?

Postby CKinnard » Fri May 04, 2018 4:42 pm

human909 wrote: Reducing the car weight is primarily about acceleration. When you get down to the weight, the soft STICKY tyres of a F1 car and the low pressures, the other cohesive forces come more into play.
I think TrailGumby alluded better, that lower car mass reduces work for sticky tires to do, as well as suspension, not to mention reducing adverse forces on steering.

What remains to be elucidated is whether a cyclist can find a position on the bike that significantly increases downforce.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 04, 2018 7:59 pm

human909 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:On another note, the Holy Grail of motor racing is to reduce car weight to improve performance with cornering.
Reducing the car weight is primarily about acceleration. When you get down to the weight, the soft STICKY tyres of a F1 car and the low pressures, the other cohesive forces come more into play.
It's also about polar moment of inertia. Smaller, lighter cars are more nimble and responsive, especially when it comes change of direction on corner entry, corner exit, correcting for slips while driving at the limit, and switching from turning in one direction to the other in esses and the like, all of which improves cornering speed and lap times.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 am

CKinnard wrote:
human909 wrote: Reducing the car weight is primarily about acceleration. When you get down to the weight, the soft STICKY tyres of a F1 car and the low pressures, the other cohesive forces come more into play.
I think TrailGumby alluded better, that lower car mass reduces work for sticky tires to do, as well as suspension, not to mention reducing adverse forces on steering.
Um that is what I said. Though if I was truly pedantic I'd use the word adhesion not cohesion.

Reducing the 'work' for sticky tyres hardly is and improvement. All that said reducing weight is most certainly significant when you are dealing with aerodynamic downforce. But that is hardly applicable to cycling.