Hydraulic disc - air travel/packing the bike

BugsBunny

Hydraulic disc - air travel/packing the bike

Postby BugsBunny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi guys

If you travel with your hydro disc bike, what are the risks when you need to pack the bike into the bike case? I'm hearing from some folks that you might kink the cables and then have fluid leak and other complications related to the dissassembly of the bike into the case.

Is it a genuine cause for concern? Or is it because my mates have chosen mechanical disc for this very reason leading them to be biased?

I'm leaning towards hydro disc (vs mech cable disc) just from previous experience with MTB hydro disc brakes which I found to be awesome. And my sons Sora grade hydro disc feel great too!

Bugs.

Smithstreet

Re: Hydraulic disc - air travel/packing the bike

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Not an issue at all. Travelled plenty of times OS and domestic with hydro discs and never had a problem. I can't even see how it 'could' happen. More likelihood of 'gorillas', ie baggage handlers, smashing your frame than doing any damage to a hydro brake system.

#scaremongering

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Have traveled several times with my hydro braked bikes and never had an issue.

Just make sure the rotors are shielded so they don't scratch anything important or risk damage themselves.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

BugsBunny wrote:I'm hearing from some folks that you might kink the cables and then have fluid leak and other complications related to the dissassembly of the bike into the case.

Surely this comes down to how you pack the bike? It's up to you to pack it properly, regardless of what gear you are using. Carelessly packed even mechanical brake cables are vulnerable to being kinked.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 pm

The only possible problem I could foresee is air being introduced to the brake line/s.
There is an air pocket at the top of the brake fluid reservoir when the bike is sitting upright. Shimano don't recommend bikes with hydraulics are layed over on their side or tipped upside down. That air pocket can potentially move from the top of the fluid reservoir, around the edges and into a hose.
It's never happened to my bike after lying on the ground and if it did occur a brake line bleeding is a fairly simple job.
If you remove a wheel a sensible precaution is to fit a wedge between the caliper pistons. If a lever is accidentally pulled a piston can pop out of the caliper if there's nothing there to stop it.