Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

djw47
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby djw47 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 am

Jmuzz wrote:
djw47 wrote:I don't think there would be many tourists travelling to Sydney who would change their mind because of the rules associated with the bike rental scheme.


Word of mouth, someone gets a $350 fine for using a bikeshare, that's going to hurt their review of Australia as a destination.
They don't even have to mention the fine, just puts a bad taste in their mouth which damages their overall opinion of the country.
It's already such an expensive trip, doesn't take much to cost us visitors.

Fining foreigners achieves nothing. They have travel insurance, big bucks for private hospitals when they crash.


I doubt anybody outside of Australia cares to be honest.
Image

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5893
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby familyguy » Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

djw47 wrote:
Jmuzz wrote:Word of mouth, someone gets a $350 fine for using a bikeshare, that's going to hurt their review of Australia as a destination.
They don't even have to mention the fine, just puts a bad taste in their mouth which damages their overall opinion of the country.
It's already such an expensive trip, doesn't take much to cost us visitors.

Fining foreigners achieves nothing. They have travel insurance, big bucks for private hospitals when they crash.


I doubt anybody outside of Australia cares to be honest.


They might not change their minds about coming in the first instance, but I think people would believe that they can ride a bike just like they do at home, wherever that is, without fear of being jumped on for not wearing a helmet/having a bell.

FFS, not even 36 hours in Japan told me how backwards Australia is when it comes to bikes. 3 weeks later I was more than convinced we are a total outlier actively discouraging bike use in ANY form.

Jmuzz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

djw47 wrote:I doubt anybody outside of Australia cares to be honest.


It matters a lot when it makes the difference to friends question "do you recommend it?".
The helmet law itself doesn't make the difference, the fact that cops go around targeting tourists on bikeshare with $350 fines does.
Especially when so much vandalism, drugs and loutish behaviour is obvious. Gives the very strong impression that Australian cops are out for money collection just as much as the high corruption bribe countries, the only difference is they are loyal to the taxman and don't pocket it themselves.

Usernoname
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby Usernoname » Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 am

Jmuzz wrote:
djw47 wrote:I doubt anybody outside of Australia cares to be honest.


It matters a lot when it makes the difference to friends question "do you recommend it?".
The helmet law itself doesn't make the difference, the fact that cops go around targeting tourists on bikeshare with $350 fines does.
Especially when so much vandalism, drugs and loutish behaviour is obvious. Gives the very strong impression that Australian cops are out for money collection just as much as the high corruption bribe countries, the only difference is they are loyal to the taxman and don't pocket it themselves.

But they do have to meet their operational orders in order to get paid, (They are only following orders from above - Nuremberg defence)

djw47
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby djw47 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
djw47 wrote:I doubt anybody outside of Australia cares to be honest.


It matters a lot when it makes the difference to friends question "do you recommend it?".
The helmet law itself doesn't make the difference, the fact that cops go around targeting tourists on bikeshare with $350 fines does.
Especially when so much vandalism, drugs and loutish behaviour is obvious. Gives the very strong impression that Australian cops are out for money collection just as much as the high corruption bribe countries, the only difference is they are loyal to the taxman and don't pocket it themselves.


How much revenue do they generate from fining tourists riding on bikeshares without helmets? I'd have thought the likelihood of ever seeing that money from people who have no permanent residence in Australia would be next to zero.
Image

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19286
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 pm

More likely they have been sent out to book some cyclists and are expected to get so many bookings. So they do that, go out and book whoever they can and then they can return to doing something more useful.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

mikesbytes wrote:More likely they have been sent out to book some cyclists and are expected to get so many bookings.

Yup, the problem is somewhere between the Minister and the station duty officer.

Meanwhile, the Tele claims NSW has the lowest number of plod per population of all states.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

twowheels
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby twowheels » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am

Extremist motorists trolling cyclists https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/ext ... 4zigf.html

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5731
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am

mikesbytes wrote:More likely they have been sent out to book some cyclists and are expected to get so many bookings. So they do that, go out and book whoever they can and then they can return to doing something more useful.

They probably have some sort of quota (without having one of course). Get out there, quickly spot some easy targets. Helmets and footpath riding are really easy to spot. It takes a little more time to spot if there is or isn't a bell which is why it is targeted slightly less.

Unfortunately, the 1-1.5m rule is a lot harder for police to manage. First, they need to spot it, measure it somehow, chase down the driver, put up with the driver's protests of 'I thought it was 1m' etc etc.

It is high time they implement an online reporting system for close passes, red light running etc for drivers. It wouldn't even require a 'real police officer' to assess whether the online reports were good enough to issue a fine, that could even be assessed by some work at home types on contract and those that are good enough for a fine forwarded to the fine issuing agency.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:24 pm

No doubt in response to criticism that operation Pedro is limited to the CBD & North Sydney, last night I spotted a couple of cops all the way to the west of the Anzac Bridge

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19286
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:No doubt in response to criticism that operation Pedro is limited to the CBD & North Sydney, last night I spotted a couple of cops all the way to the west of the Anzac Bridge


Being discussed on Sydney Cyclist, no real conclusion over there

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/velocops-on-anzac-bridge
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
CoffsGal
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Not sure if it was part of Op Pedro, but I saw two cycle police (one male and one female) in Coffs Harbour last Saturday at midday, riding together in the busy CBD on the footpath and not particularly slowly.

Should I have made a citizens arrest?

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9988
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
find_bruce wrote:No doubt in response to criticism that operation Pedro is limited to the CBD & North Sydney, last night I spotted a couple of cops all the way to the west of the Anzac Bridge


Being discussed on Sydney Cyclist, no real conclusion over there

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/velocops-on-anzac-bridge


Yes, it's a 10km/h speed limit on the shared pathway. As was said on that forum there. :idea: Hmm. Whose 10km/h limit was that, the limit enforced by Harold Scruby? Seems all a bit arbitrary doesn't it.

Fortunately I don't ride there at all, and never have to ride into the CBD ever again.

Isn't it funny though, when a pedestrian complains about bike riders, action is immediate. Yet when we complain about the behaviour of cars nothing happens.
CoffsGal wrote:Not sure if it was part of Op Pedro, but I saw two cycle police (one male and one female) in Coffs Harbour last Saturday at midday, riding together in the busy CBD on the footpath and not particularly slowly.

Should I have made a citizens arrest?


Should have told them about the 10km/h speed limit mentioned on that Sydney Cyclist forum.

They have been getting out a bit on the M7 cycleway in Sydney just riding up and down there occasionally, I guess to try and deter the trail bike riders getting on there sometimes. Those trail bike riders are pretty dangerous and they did cause an accident some time back.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19286
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
find_bruce wrote:No doubt in response to criticism that operation Pedro is limited to the CBD & North Sydney, last night I spotted a couple of cops all the way to the west of the Anzac Bridge


Being discussed on Sydney Cyclist, no real conclusion over there

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/velocops-on-anzac-bridge


Yes, it's a 10km/h speed limit on the shared pathway. As was said on that forum there. :idea: Hmm. Whose 10km/h limit was that, the limit enforced by Harold Scruby? Seems all a bit arbitrary doesn't it.

Fortunately I don't ride there at all, and never have to ride into the CBD ever again.

Isn't it funny though, when a pedestrian complains about bike riders, action is immediate. Yet when we complain about the behaviour of cars nothing happens.
CoffsGal wrote:Not sure if it was part of Op Pedro, but I saw two cycle police (one male and one female) in Coffs Harbour last Saturday at midday, riding together in the busy CBD on the footpath and not particularly slowly.

Should I have made a citizens arrest?


Should have told them about the 10km/h speed limit mentioned on that Sydney Cyclist forum.

They have been getting out a bit on the M7 cycleway in Sydney just riding up and down there occasionally, I guess to try and deter the trail bike riders getting on there sometimes. Those trail bike riders are pretty dangerous and they did cause an accident some time back.

(
As far as I know the speed limit is the same as the rest of the road corridor (60kph on Anzac bridge) unless its specifically posted such as on Pyrmont bridge where its 10kph. Please correct me if I'm wrong
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 9988
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:As far as I know the speed limit is the same as the rest of the road corridor (60kph on Anzac bridge) unless its specifically posted such as on Pyrmont bridge where its 10kph. Please correct me if I'm wrong


When I used to work in the city, I cannot remember seeing any such signs. Hmm.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:02 pm

I refuse to ride across Pyrmont Bridge as it is just a zoo - even at my modest pace it is quicker to take a 1km detour.

I'm fairly sure the "speed limit" signs on Pyrmont Bridge are advisory. In any event I have real doubts whether it is enforceable, but that is a technical legal point no sane person will want to test.

Scott_C
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Vote of no confidence in Operation Pedro

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:20 am

CoffsGal wrote:Not sure if it was part of Op Pedro, but I saw two cycle police (one male and one female) in Coffs Harbour last Saturday at midday, riding together in the busy CBD on the footpath and not particularly slowly.

Should I have made a citizens arrest?


Drivers of Police vehicles have a blanket exemption from the road rules provided they take "reasonable" care, NSW Road Rule 305, so an attempted citizen's request is likely to end with you in cuffs and facing charges.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]