Replacement HRM strap for GARMIN, suggestions ?

Widget

Replacement HRM strap for GARMIN, suggestions ?

Postby Widget » Tue May 01, 2018 5:00 am

Hi guys,

I have my Garmin Heart Rate monitor soft strap that's been hanging up for sometime, mainly because I started getting a lot of spikes in reading when using, and apparently this was a common thing. Since I'm getting back into running, I figure I might ask for some advice here about giving it another shot &/or replacing it. I'll double check the battery 1st, but if that's good, what's the best way to wash/clean it, just in case ?

If I replace it, are their any (cheap) recommendations? Originally, I read that many people replaced it with the POLAR strap that was a direct swap with the little Garmin receiver device, but checking online, that specific strap doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Alternatively, eBay have cheap generic soft straps for as little as $4 (china), or $14 (AUS), though not sure how well they would perform, or last.

Besides buying used, any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Re: Replacement HRM strap for GARMIN, suggestions ?

Postby Tim » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 am

I've been using the cheap eBay straps for a few years now.
Each one has lasted about 12 months or around 500 hours of use.
They work just as well as the Garmin ones.
The last purchase was from this seller;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chest-Belt- ... 2749.l2649
I throw them out when they start giving dodgy readings. Washing helps but it's only a temporary fix.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 am

Wahoo tickr: https://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-tickr-h ... nitor.html

That's what I use. It's fairly decent.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Tim wrote:I've been using the cheap eBay straps for a few years now.
Each one has lasted about 12 months or around 500 hours of use.
Same here, except a couple years back I bought a bunch in different colours, wash then occasionally, just replace when the readings go stupid. ie the first coloured one (dark blue) needs replacing now, after three plus years in rotation.

They last about as long as the genuine Garmin straps and are $6 posted

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:Wahoo tickr: https://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-tickr-h ... nitor.html

That's what I use. It's fairly decent.
Agree with that, but what about just the strap itself for the Wahoo ?

Found it Wahoo replacement HR strap

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Is Decathlon now available in Oz? I had the same issue with the Garmin strap falling apart and found a new Ant+/BT Decathlon HRM at about the same price as the replacement strap from Garmin. From memory about USD$25.

EDIT:
https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8334795_ ... 6#/30-254-_

The link above is the one i got, but its much cheaper at about USD$30 here in HK:
https://www.decathlon.com.hk/en/p/dual- ... 95&c=BLACK

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I ended up just getting generic straps off ebay. I'm not fully into cycling yet, so they wouldn't get worn frequently. Some others online also purchased the generic straps, and though they may last about a year of regular use, they say they work well.

Hopefully they do the job, at least until I upgrade my watch, or get a bike computer :)

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 am

Over time, the salts from sweat accumulate in the fabric of the band, and this can create an electrical path for static electricity from some synthetic technical tops (especially in low humidity) to the HRM sensor. These additional electrical signals can cause spikes in HR readings. This is also more common at the start of a run/ride in cool weather when the skin is dry - pre-moistening the contact pads beforehand can make it easier for the true HR signals to reach the sensor.

In terms of washing, a soak for 5-10 minutes and hand wash in warm water with a little bit of mild detergent normally does the trick. If there is a lot of accumulation from not having been washed in months, it may take a couple of washes. Although eventually even washing isn't effective, and the strap needs to be replaced with a new one - at which point the sensor performs as good as new.

Even with the cheapie straps off ebay, regular washing (more frequently is summer, less in winter) can help extend the lives of straps.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I replaced mine with a cheap Ebay one and it has out lasted the genuine one by a year, so far! :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm

madmacca wrote: ...
Even with the cheapie straps off ebay, regular washing (more frequently is summer, less in winter) can help extend the lives of straps.
Ewwww. I was mine every ride. I sweat lots, so I can't imagine the buildup of bacteria, sweat and smell if it wasn't washed !!

Each to their own ... :)

Widget

Postby Widget » Tue May 08, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks for the tips :)

Ya, I washed mine in warm water, but not fix, maybe I'll try a longer wash.

As for wetting before exercise, I usually just damp my chest and sensors with water (not dripping) before putting it on, but HRM spikes from the start :/. Might try washing my original again, see if it helps, I think it'll be a couple more weeks before the new ones arrive.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue May 08, 2018 7:20 am

another thumbs up for the Wahoo hrm strap. We bought a couple of them after having numerous garmin straps fail. The wahoo is still going strong after 2 years. My wife did have a problem with moisture getting into the unit but after drying it out ans putting a tiny amount of grease on the oring it's working fine

Widget

Postby Widget » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks guys :), I ended up getting 2x of the ebay straps, they seem to work well :)

BJL

Postby BJL » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 am

The premium Garmin straps were the ones that had most of the problems. I have one of the 'normal' ones that I got with my Edge 500 and I always wet the sensors when putting it on. It's been washed once in 5 years, changed the battery twice and it still works without any apparent problems.

I think I might give it a wash though. :mrgreen: