Phones and Saddlebags

fergy1987

Phones and Saddlebags

Postby fergy1987 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

So my cautiousness means I always want to take a mobile phone with me on my rides however with phones getting larger and larger these days and the growing trend of saddle bags getting smaller and smaller, how does one carry their phone without it being in the way (e.g. don't want to use a quadlock or similar)

My first issue is, being 165cm tall I don't have much seatpost space in the first place so need a bag that isn't so big and still allows me to get a light on the back (or a light that clips onto the bag)

Ive got a Samsung S8+ so if anyone has a bag that fits this phone easily and can recommend it that would be great :) - Also trying to avoid Velcro straps so have been looking at the below Topeak bag but just curious as to what size I would actually need. Medium maybe?

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod57996

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

MichaelB

Re: Phones and Saddlebags

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 am

In a waterproof/water resistant jersey bin, and in the jersey pocket.

That's how I do it. Like this Velopac unit I did a review on

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 am

Yeah, no way my iPhone 6S+ is going to fit in my saddle bag. I put it in a ziploc bag in my jersey pocket when road riding.
If I'm just riding slowly with my kids it goes in my shorts/pants pocket, and if I'm mountain biking it goes in a case in my backpack.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am

MAAP x Bellroy case in the back pocket. (Expensive/it was a Christmas present)

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm

fergy1987 wrote:So my cautiousness means I always want to take a mobile phone with me on my rides however with phones getting larger and larger these days and the growing trend of saddle bags getting smaller and smaller, how does one carry their phone without it being in the way (e.g. don't want to use a quadlock or similar)

My first issue is, being 165cm tall I don't have much seatpost space in the first place so need a bag that isn't so big and still allows me to get a light on the back (or a light that clips onto the bag)
Answering your side comment rather than your actual question... I clip my tail light to the waistband of my shorts. That means my bag (which sits on my carrier when I commute) never blocks my tail light.
Last edited by AdelaidePeter on Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Jersey pocket, as mentioned by all of the others. I tend to go for a protective pouch or cycling specific phone wallet as phones are smooth and unless you have a zippered pocket, a considering I have is that it slips out.
Cycling is in my BNA

kb

Postby kb » Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Jersey pocket, as mentioned by all of the others. I tend to go for a protective pouch or cycling specific phone wallet as phones are smooth and unless you have a zippered pocket, a considering I have is that it slips out.
Never thought this was an issue until I lay down the bike overcooking a corner and didn’t realise the phone had slipped out until I went to call my wife with a time to expect me home...

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm

If I'm wearing a jersey (road, occasional mtb) then jersey pocket, on mtb usually in baggy shorts pocket, or very occasionally in a camleback.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 pm

For gravel grinding(no lycra in the bush) and just riding the junker up the street to get a loaf of bread I got a Jet Black top tube bag, fits in a 5.5 inch screen and my everyday wallet.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Jersey pocket

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Lezyne Caddy Sack, Jersey Pocket
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Jersey pocket. The exception is mountain biking where there is a high risk of crashing. In those cases it the faithful enduro camelback.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

sertse

Postby sertse » Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm

I have the largest sized top peak saddle bag and it just fits a similar sized phone + wallet + tube + multitool + keys and tire levers - my standard kit so I carry nothing on my body.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 pm

I use a bag right under the top tube. Works great, pretty useful. (from decathlon)
Of course, for cycling purists it's probably a faux pas
This way I don't need to wear a jersey while cycling.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

I use one of these: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... -llf236bbk

I used to have something similar that Bicycle Qld gave me at some event somewhere, but I changed to a slightly larger phone and it did not fit so I went and spent $5 at officeworks.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 pm

fergy1987 wrote:So my cautiousness means I always want to take a mobile phone with me on my rides however with phones getting larger and larger these days and the growing trend of saddle bags getting smaller and smaller, how does one carry their phone without it being in the way (e.g. don't want to use a quadlock or similar)

Ive got a Samsung S8+ so if anyone has a bag that fits this phone easily and can recommend it that would be great :) - Also trying to avoid Velcro straps so have been looking at the below Topeak bag but just curious as to what size I would actually need. Medium maybe?

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod57996

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
In a sealable sandwich bag in the back pocket of a cycling jersey. Also works wonders for keeping money and bank cards safely tucked away.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Either in my Carradice camper longflap saddlebag or in my relevate tangle framebag
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri May 11, 2018 8:51 pm

I use one of these in a back jersey pocket.
http://seatosummit.com/product/padded-pouch/
It's waterproof and fairly padded so it does me for MTB as well. Holds my phone, cash, keys & ID.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm

I picked up one of these in duck canvas as getting any sort of new phone is a nightmare
https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/bike/tinder-box.html
Tough little thing that you will be able to hand over to the next few generations of fergy1987s

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm the same height as you and have the same issues with seat post real estate.

I either whack the phone and wallet in a zip lock bag and in my jersey pocket or I use a jet black top tube bag.

I like the Jet Black top tube bag better than some of the others because the clasp is magnetic so no fiddling around with zips mid-ride. It looks good too and has room for phone, wallet, keys and some gels or bars.

I've swapped it on both the roadie and the gravel grinder

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 am

I use the VeloPac in my back pocket as reviewed here on BNA. It fits a large phone (Pixel 2 XL), just, plus money and cards. I can also fit the phone in my large Topeak Fuel Tank top tube bag if necessary.

uart

Postby uart » Mon May 14, 2018 12:43 pm

My preference is to carry a small phone booth on a front pannier rack. 8)

Ok sorry about the lame photoshop, just trying to make a dumb joke about phones getting bigger. :D

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm

uart wrote:My preference is to carry a small phone booth on a front pannier rack. 8)

Ok sorry about the lame photoshop, just trying to make a dumb joke about phones getting bigger. :D
You're not far off with the phone dimensions lol

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the advice guy! who would have thought there was so many options!!!

Does anyone know of any cheapish lights that come with a clip to clip to the saddle bag? - It seems they are all seatpost clips these days

westab

Postby westab » Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm

try this one

https://www.pushys.com.au/x-tech-2-x-1- ... light.html

I use them & Mrs Westab is happy with the viability.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.