New Wheelset

Bloomers24

New Wheelset

Postby Bloomers24 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on a set of wheels that will support a 100kg rider.
I don't want to pay the earth for them but need to pay what they are worth.
The Wheelset I currently have Mavic Cosmic Elite's are a bit unstable - start to speed wobble on fast downhills.
Thanks

Derny Driver

Re: New Wheelset

Postby Derny Driver » Sun May 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Bloomers24 wrote: The Wheelset I currently have Mavic Cosmic Elite's are a bit unstable - start to speed wobble on fast downhills.
Thanks
Speed wobble is not caused by wheels. It is caused by the frame.
Google "what causes speed wobble on a bicycle"

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

What DD said! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am

Lots of wheels will support a 100kg rider. Most wheels have a weight limit that you can find online.

Specific ones that I know about include:

* all Campagnolo or Fulcrum alloy wheels are rated to a 109kg rider, and they have a range of models at different prices.

* I put a Shimano R500 rear wheel on my commuter because the original wasn't up to it. It's doing fine, with me (98kg) plus several kgs of commuting gear on rack and panniers.

* I priced some Lightweight Mielensteins the other day (as a bit of a joke). $5999 for a wheelset from Pushys, 1100g total weight and they are rated to 120kg "system weight". Wow!

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm 92kg and have Campy Zondas and they're great.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

RobertL wrote:Lots of wheels will support a 100kg rider. Most wheels have a weight limit that you can find online.

* all Campagnolo or Fulcrum alloy wheels are rated to a 109kg rider, and they have a range of models at different prices.

* I put a Shimano R500 rear wheel on my commuter because the original wasn't up to it. It's doing fine, with me (98kg) plus several kgs of commuting gear on rack and panniers.

* I priced some Lightweight Mielensteins the other day (as a bit of a joke). $5999 for a wheelset from Pushys, 1100g total weight and they are rated to 120kg "system weight". Wow!
True but Campagnolo/Fulcrum also say that riders 82kg and over "... must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs)." Around 80kg is also the weight that some wheel builders suggest a "stallion" build.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 14, 2018 2:40 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:I'm 92kg and have Campy Zondas and they're great.
I put some on my bike a week ago. So far, so good!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 14, 2018 2:41 pm

biker jk wrote:
RobertL wrote:Lots of wheels will support a 100kg rider. Most wheels have a weight limit that you can find online.

True but Campagnolo/Fulcrum also say that riders 82kg and over "... must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs)." Around 80kg is also the weight that some wheel builders suggest a "stallion" build.
Mielensteins it is, then!! Just to be on the safe side :wink:

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 pm

These are worth a look, I just put the disc version on my CX. They support up to 115kg

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon May 14, 2018 9:43 pm

RobertL wrote:
SheikYerbouti wrote:I'm 92kg and have Campy Zondas and they're great.
I put some on my bike a week ago. So far, so good!
Another vote here...my Zondas took me from 110kg to 95 over 2 years and about 20k of riding. I reckon they look pretty good too.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Bloomers24 wrote:Wondering if anyone has suggestions on a set of wheels that will support a 100kg rider.
I don't want to pay the earth for them but need to pay what they are worth.
The Wheelset I currently have Mavic Cosmic Elite's are a bit unstable - start to speed wobble on fast downhills.
If your bike+two bidons weighs less than 20kg, you might like Mavic Cosmic Elites
Mavic wrote:For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included
Image What Foo and DD said
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

donnaeastman

Postby donnaeastman » Tue May 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Bloomers24 wrote: The Wheelset I currently have Mavic Cosmic Elite's are a bit unstable - start to speed wobble on fast downhills.
Thanks
Speed wobble is not caused by wheels. It is caused by the frame.
Google "what causes speed wobble on a bicycle"
Yes I agree! It is caused by the frames.