Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10007
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Thoglette wrote:
find_bruce wrote:The articles posted by Amelia Hungerford on the Signature Luxury Travel and Style website suggests that the description "motoring journalist" is a bit far fetched & the articles now refer to her as a "lifestyle journalist"

<aside>
I wonder if one actually gets to go to all those events. Bloody nice lifestyle if one does.
However, my money is that the role involves "personalising" the official press kits (or similar), for at least for 90% of them.
Even still, for the remaining 10%....
</aside>


Social influencers get a lot of nice benefits. Someone I know does have that status, and so gets a lot of nice things, like A380 first flights, featured by well known international airlines in the launch of their new first class suites, first flights on the luxury suite of a rival airline, etc. That said, he is a decent guy - he's not the sort who'd do anything so stupid like this journalist who crashed into the rider.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13324
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:46 am

The suggestion that the police were waiting on the injured riders is hopefully accurate. For the public, it is still important to know that a case is in work as there are occassions when they simmer out and nothing happens.

Regarding McLaren, they can easily refer to the indepent PR agency who I will suggest have more responsibility in this matter and have allowed the risky driving by some. There is no possibility of pushing the limits of a sports car, let alone a Supercar in Akuna / Westhead and maintaining safe driving behaviour within the speed limits.

It is common sense that a performance car needs to be test driven on a closed race track and McLaren needs to take responsibility.

To the culprit, there is no sense or value in any further comments. Just the hope that the court recognise the severity and continuing impact on the life of the rider and can handle accordingly.

Christopher

LateStarter
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:10 pm
Location: On the saddle

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby LateStarter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:17 am

Call me a grumpy old killjoy cyclist out to deprive the mega-rich of their legitimate pleasures but I ask myself why any vehicle that can do 200kph over the highest speed limit and get to that limit in a few seconds has any place on public roads and outside "closed race tracks". In my fairyland such indulgences would be subject to a 100% luxury tax (per year), if they want to flaunt their wealth lets at least ensure the rest of us see some benefit too, grump grump....

duncanm
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby duncanm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 am

LateStarter wrote:Call me a grumpy old killjoy cyclist out to deprive the mega-rich of their legitimate pleasures but I ask myself why any vehicle that can do 200kph over the highest speed limit and get to that limit in a few seconds has any place on public roads and outside "closed race tracks". In my fairyland such indulgences would be subject to a 100% luxury tax (per year), if they want to flaunt their wealth lets at least ensure the rest of us see some benefit too, grump grump....



better ban anything beyond a Japanese Kei car, then.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 am

LateStarter wrote:Call me a grumpy old killjoy cyclist out to deprive the mega-rich of their legitimate pleasures but I ask myself why any vehicle that can do 200kph over the highest speed limit and get to that limit in a few seconds has any place on public roads and outside "closed race tracks". In my fairyland such indulgences would be subject to a 100% luxury tax (per year), if they want to flaunt their wealth lets at least ensure the rest of us see some benefit too, grump grump....

Highest maximum speed limit in Australia is 140kph I think. So there's no need to have a speedo that registers speeds past 140kph. Did they introduce a maximum 85mph speedo in the US?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
ft_critical
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 pm
Location: watching the 11
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am

I sent them an email (McLaren), discussed it with my work colleague who owns one, requested he raise it if he has the chance.

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 4374
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby Thoglette » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 am

duncanm wrote:better ban anything beyond a Japanese Kei car, then.

That would actually be a damn good idea from a congestion management perspective - or at least demonstrate and ongoing "need to own" (e.g. Grey Nomad ) plus training and tougher licence testing. Just like hand guns :-)

As a closet rev-head (who did have a CAMS licence and is also old) I can say the main problem is that the fast cars are are just too damned easy to drive these days. Even large SUVs have 0-100 times that used to be "supercar" numbers. Add to this that the roads are not what they used to be (i.e. bloody narrow, twisty and dangerous); and our population has both exploded and spread out and the idea of "a fang" on some quiet country roads is not what it used to be.

Hell, a 16V Hyundai Getz is only a little bit slower than a Mk1 RS Cosworth Escort. And it's got aircon.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Bill wrote this on sydney cyclist today;
For those who may be interested, I've been visiting James. He is generally in good spirits but looks like he may not be able to use his right arm again - he is/was a dentist. The nerves were severed and his arm lies limp in a sling. His neck was broken in numerous places which wasn't mentioned earlier, or in the various articles that were mentioned in this thread. He has had recent operations to try and reconnect nerves and the results are still out.

Thankfully if it wasn't for the meticulous and thoughtful care from the paramedics who initially arrived and stabilised his neck with metal rods before he was moved, he would have been in a wheelchair for life. As it is now, he is walking around and has limited use of his right leg beyond about 10˚ of movement. That should improve, and he threatens me that if I don't get fitter now I won't be able to keep up with him on his first ride back...
Terrible

Unfortunately my comment about the article focusing on the details of the motor vehicle while not mentioning the status of the injured rider stands
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:39 pm

uart wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I'd like to know why it took 5 months before she was charged.

Yes, and I'm also surprised at how long it took to make any details public. I'm thinking maybe a combination of money and media influence by someone in the organization for which she worked.


Sometimes these processes take a while. e.g. Today a driver was sentenced to 13 years jail for killing two pedestrians last August http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-13/d ... r/10240424 . As far as I can tell from Google, he was not charged or named until 24 November last year, more than 3 months after the crash https://www.centralnews.com.au/@breakin ... -vic-crash .

(The worrying thing is that, because it takes so long, it usually goes unnoticed if a driver isn't charged.)

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6242
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:47 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
uart wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I'd like to know why it took 5 months before she was charged.

Yes, and I'm also surprised at how long it took to make any details public. I'm thinking maybe a combination of money and media influence by someone in the organization for which she worked.


Sometimes these processes take a while. e.g. Today a driver was sentenced to 13 years jail for killing two pedestrians last August http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-13/d ... r/10240424 . As far as I can tell from Google, he was not charged or named until 24 November last year, more than 3 months after the crash https://www.centralnews.com.au/@breakin ... -vic-crash .

(The worrying thing is that, because it takes so long, it usually goes unnoticed if a driver isn't charged.)


Those killed were not pedestrians.

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm

biker jk wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
uart wrote:Yes, and I'm also surprised at how long it took to make any details public. I'm thinking maybe a combination of money and media influence by someone in the organization for which she worked.


Sometimes these processes take a while. e.g. Today a driver was sentenced to 13 years jail for killing two pedestrians last August http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-13/d ... r/10240424 . As far as I can tell from Google, he was not charged or named until 24 November last year, more than 3 months after the crash https://www.centralnews.com.au/@breakin ... -vic-crash .

(The worrying thing is that, because it takes so long, it usually goes unnoticed if a driver isn't charged.)


Those killed were not pedestrians.


Aha, sorry. My point stands though: there can be a long delay even if the victims are not cyclists, and the at-fault-motorist has no special connections.
Last edited by AdelaidePeter on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10007
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:51 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Bill wrote this on sydney cyclist today;
For those who may be interested, I've been visiting James. He is generally in good spirits but looks like he may not be able to use his right arm again - he is/was a dentist. The nerves were severed and his arm lies limp in a sling. His neck was broken in numerous places which wasn't mentioned earlier, or in the various articles that were mentioned in this thread. He has had recent operations to try and reconnect nerves and the results are still out.

Thankfully if it wasn't for the meticulous and thoughtful care from the paramedics who initially arrived and stabilised his neck with metal rods before he was moved, he would have been in a wheelchair for life. As it is now, he is walking around and has limited use of his right leg beyond about 10˚ of movement. That should improve, and he threatens me that if I don't get fitter now I won't be able to keep up with him on his first ride back...
Terrible

Unfortunately my comment about the article focusing on the details of the motor vehicle while not mentioning the status of the injured rider stands


Agreed, it's like the badly hurt rider doesn't matter at all.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6242
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
biker jk wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Sometimes these processes take a while. e.g. Today a driver was sentenced to 13 years jail for killing two pedestrians last August http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-13/d ... r/10240424 . As far as I can tell from Google, he was not charged or named until 24 November last year, more than 3 months after the crash https://www.centralnews.com.au/@breakin ... -vic-crash .

(The worrying thing is that, because it takes so long, it usually goes unnoticed if a driver isn't charged.)


Those killed were not pedestrians.


Aha, sorry. My point stands though: there can be a long delay even if the victims are not cyclists, and the at-fault-motorist has no special connections.


My point was on the sentencing discrepancies between motorists killing/injuring other motorists and motorists killing/injuring cyclists. Take the example in the link below where a motorist killed a cyclist and received 300 hours of community service and an 18-month licence disqualification versus the 13-year sentence in the example you provided.

https://www.2gb.com/driver-who-killed-cyclist-to-get-licence-back-after-just-18-months/

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13324
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Can’t criticise anyone for buying a car they desire. It would be like criticising a bike rider who purchases an $8k bike when a $3K bike provides the level of permance they need.

In this instance it was the driver and situation. Most cars available have (in my opinion) a relaxed cruising speed of 130 kmh... the larger ones 150 - 170 kmh. Australian roads are built for slower speeds and drivers don’t learn the skills for safe fast speed travel (like in some other countries). So the ability of a regular car usually far exceeds the limitations.

I can’t criticise a person who chooses to buy a performance car, but unless they go to a closed circuit they will never legally get close to the limits and a supercar regulated to 60kmh is a bit out of place.

You can enjoy a performance car wuthin its limits if you put comfort and image above power and speed... but in the case of McLaren and press test drives, this would be missing the point ... so test drives for press or even potential buyers should be at the closed circuit so the lives and safety of others are not put at risk.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6242
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The suggestion that the police were waiting on the injured riders is hopefully accurate. For the public, it is still important to know that a case is in work as there are occassions when they simmer out and nothing happens.

Regarding McLaren, they can easily refer to the indepent PR agency who I will suggest have more responsibility in this matter and have allowed the risky driving by some. There is no possibility of pushing the limits of a sports car, let alone a Supercar in Akuna / Westhead and maintaining safe driving behaviour within the speed limits.

It is common sense that a performance car needs to be test driven on a closed race track and McLaren needs to take responsibility.

To the culprit, there is no sense or value in any further comments. Just the hope that the court recognise the severity and continuing impact on the life of the rider and can handle accordingly.

Christopher


I've heard that McLaren have used the Akuna Bay loop again. Four McLarens speeding down hill towards Akuna Bay from the Cottage Pt turnoff.
Last edited by biker jk on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13324
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Hmmm... if there is anything tangible, could be worth reporting to the Police because I am sure they will be unimpressed. A strong signal needs to go to McLaren if they simply haven't got the message.


Edit:
On the McLaren Sydney page, they have four McLarens pictured on the waterfront in Sydney... looks like it was a McLaren Owner Meetup.

So perhaps not managed by McLaren Sydney... but they certainly know about it and have the photos so perhaps their own responsibility could stretch further.

Number plates are there, just needs someone who captured video evidence 'if' there was any illegal road behaviour to report to the police.
https://www.facebook.com/mclarensydney/ ... =3&theater

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6242
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:14 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hmmm... if there is anything tangible, could be worth reporting to the Police because I am sure they will be unimpressed. A strong signal needs to go to McLaren if they simply haven't got the message.


Edit:
On the McLaren Sydney page, they have four McLarens pictured on the waterfront in Sydney... looks like it was a McLaren Owner Meetup.

So perhaps not managed by McLaren Sydney... but they certainly know about it and have the photos so perhaps their own responsibility could stretch further.

Number plates are there, just needs someone who captured video evidence 'if' there was any illegal road behaviour to report to the police.
https://www.facebook.com/mclarensydney/ ... =3&theater


There wasn't any mention of video footage. There was a group cycling up the hill who observed the speeding McLarens heading down the hill.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hmmm... if there is anything tangible, could be worth reporting to the Police because I am sure they will be unimpressed. A strong signal needs to go to McLaren if they simply haven't got the message.


Edit:
On the McLaren Sydney page, they have four McLarens pictured on the waterfront in Sydney... looks like it was a McLaren Owner Meetup.

So perhaps not managed by McLaren Sydney... but they certainly know about it and have the photos so perhaps their own responsibility could stretch further.

Number plates are there, just needs someone who captured video evidence 'if' there was any illegal road behaviour to report to the police.
https://www.facebook.com/mclarensydney/ ... =3&theater

I was going to post that too :cry:
Image
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5896
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Saw the white one on the left of pic fuelling up at Cremorne on Saturday when I was riding back from Manly, would have been about 8:30am.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13324
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 pm

The thing is, it has to be up to people who observed it directly to follow up, otherwise it is just
'internet people' making claims.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13324
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:56 pm

"Months after a bike rider was hit but a speeding McLaren car during a media test event, in the same location an organised group of four McLarens are reported speeding"

BJL
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby BJL » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

mikesbytes wrote:I was going to post that too :cry:
Image



A few of 'em should be booked for failing to park completely within the parking spaces.

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5896
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 am

If it was these guys and they were there ripping through there on a Saturday, that's even more of a bonehead move. The Akuna area has more cars, more bikes, more of everyone on a weekend.

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby antigee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 pm

queequeg wrote:The female driver has now (finally) been charged.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news ... w9MQ%3D%3D


according to above was due in court today

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8016
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Motoring Journalist in McLaren Hits Cyclist at West Head/Akuna NSW

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 pm

antigee wrote:according to above was due in court today

According to the NSW Court registry, the case of R v Amelia Hungerford was in for a mention today & will return to the Manly local court for a further mention on 14 November

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alan.richo