Today's training ride

Salamanca1205

Today's training ride

Postby Salamanca1205 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I finally managed to break the 4hr barrier for my 100km ride today.

Average speed of 26.1km (helped by a generous SW for the last 37km) so the figures are a bit distorted. However this also includes a trek around Perth CBD, the foreshore and the path to City Beach where it's hard to build up any speed due to pedestrians on the shared paths (which I use for that part of the ride.)

Interesting stat is that I burned only 2,500 calories compared to the figure of 2,700 / 2,800 of a couple of months ago. Am I more efficient or just not trying hard enough???

Derny Driver

Re: Today's training ride

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Salamanca1205 wrote:I finally managed to break the 4hr barrier for my 100km ride today....

Interesting stat is that I burned only 2,500 calories compared to the figure of 2,700 / 2,800 of a couple of months ago. Am I more efficient or just not trying hard enough???

How accurate is the calorie counting device? I would pay absolutely zero attention to that sort of 'data'.
As for average speeds, they are meaningless. I remember when I started riding I would dutifully log all my averages for each ride, and every time I rode my bike I would try to beat the times or up the average. Trying to convince myself I was getting fitter / better. After many years of riding and racing, and many years of coaching and training people, i now realise what a silly attempt at measuring improvement that is, and in fact I now know that preoccupation with average speeds when riding is actually counterproductive to improvement in cycling. The harder you try, the less improvement will happen.
If you think about it, there are so many variables ...wind speed and direction, traffic, stop lights, tiredness, what you ate for lunch .... a fast or slow time means nothing in real terms.
I used to train at 26kph and race at 56kph in A grade. I had a mate liked to out-train me on rides. He would do 28kph out training and do 30kph in a race in C grade. What effort is going into doing your 25kph ride? Are you pushing hard to do that? Is this 100k ride you do some sort of a time trial effort or are you just cruising. Because its all relative. My son (22) and his friend like to do a 120k loop which involves 3500 metres of climbing (Macquarie pass, Kangaroo Valley, Kiama etc) and they average 30kph on the tops of the handlebars eating, drinking laughing and chatting the whole way. Another person might be able to average 30 for the same ride but they'd be a hospital case for days after it. So its all relative. And its hard to really measure improvement. You would assume that the more you ride, the better you will get. But I assure you that is not the case.
Anyway, a 100k ride at 25kph is a great achievement. I mean that. You must be quite fit. But i would resist the temptation to read anything meaningful into the data from your Garmin or whatever you used.
Cheers

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm

double post

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 pm

100km at 25 km/h is pretty decent, and you are faster than a lot of cyclists out there. Well done.

I'll give an example of the obvious effect of wind speed and direction on cycling speed. I've ridden over the Gateway Bridge across the Brisbane River 9 or 10 times on various rides. There are (of course) Strava segments for the bridge, including one for just the downhill heading north.

It's a nice easy gentle downhill, and you can build up a bit of speed just coasting down from the top.

On all my previous rides, I have averaged between 50 and 55 km/h. On Saturday, into a stiff headwind, I averaged 39km/h.

I can remember at the time thinking, "I'm not accelerating like normal...I'm not going as fast as normal..." and then Strava proved it.