posting a crankset

davehirst

posting a crankset

Postby davehirst » Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 pm

anyone packed and posted a crankset (local), looking for cheapest way to do it via aus post.Their boxes are quite exy, and i don't think it will fit in a satchel type thing.
dave

queequeg

Re: posting a crankset

Postby queequeg » Sun May 20, 2018 3:19 pm

davehirst wrote:anyone packed and posted a crankset (local), looking for cheapest way to do it via aus post.Their boxes are quite exy, and i don't think it will fit in a satchel type thing.
dave
You’ll want to disassemble it as much as possible. Remove the chainrings and/or spider and lay them flat, then the whole thing should fit in a satchel wrapped in bubble wrap.
It will depend very much on tbt crankset as to how much you can pull it apart.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 am

do you have the original crankset box?
i had a crankset shipped to me from a local seller, in the shimano box. i didn't think it was that expensive. you only have to wrap up the original square box.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon May 21, 2018 12:47 pm

caneye wrote:do you have the original crankset box?
i had a crankset shipped to me from a local seller, in the shimano box. i didn't think it was that expensive. you only have to wrap up the original square box.
It all depends on the size of the box. Australia Post will take the cubed weight of any box, unless it's a standard flat rate box. I just had a guy from WA send me some headlight covers for my car, which I bought on ebay. He listed the item with free postage. When he went to the post office, they charged him $45 to post it to me because the box resulted in a cubed weight of about 10kg, despite the actual weight being less than 500g. It was a $99 item, so he lost almost half the sale price to postage (his fault for assuming postage would be cheap and including it for free)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon May 21, 2018 1:13 pm

cheers .. will need to keep that in mind!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 pm

What sort of cranks? Square taper or octolink cranks will pack flat, but most external bearing cranks like Shimano hollowtech II will be as wide as the crank assembled. The best you can do is turn the nds crank 180° and tighten the bolts up so things don't come loose during transit.

One thing that often works with Australia Post is that the retail staff can measure 3 sides to get the volume of a regular box, but can't cope with measuring the volume of an odd shaped package - ie if the box tapers towards the end of the cranks, you may get away with being charged for weight. I sent a frame covered in bubble wrap but no box & was simply charged for less than 3 kg.

You would need cardboard to protect the chainring from trying to escape
Anything you can do, I can do slower