Putting the "oh no" into obikes

fat and old

Re: Putting the "oh no" into obikes

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am

I watched an O/S vlog in which the presenter had a good solid rant about these things clagging up the local shared path around some lake. He made me laugh when his offsider pointed out the green credentials of them vs a car. His reply: You're not saving the universe by riding these around the lake. You're just another dick effing around on a bike :lol: It was (in this case) a fair point.

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 am

article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-t ... bumpy-ride

note, there is a push-button link to a column of viewer comments there..

the bloke carrying his kids on one, including small boy hoisted high on his neck and shoulders,just made me shudder..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 pm

RetroPilot wrote:article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

the bloke carrying his kids on one, including small boy hoisted high on his neck and shoulders,just made me shudder..
Article seems more balanced than what we typically get in Australia. Also the comments lacked the bogan component we get
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Saw more Lime bikes being ridden in 2 hours in the CBD today than I would see in 2 weeks of all the others combined
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:Saw more Lime bikes being ridden in 2 hours in the CBD today than I would see in 2 weeks of all the others combined
Surely the i-Cycle (go on Apple, sue me) nature of the ride appeals to the sort of user who would hire a bike in the first place. Is a good thing as far as getting people on bikes and giving turista a positive experience..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes its a good thing, even the CBD Sydney up & downhill so the iCycle encourages people to use them
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

mikesbytes wrote:
RetroPilot wrote:article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

Article seems more balanced than what we typically get in Australia. Also the comments lacked the bogan component we get
to be fair, most of that particular story revolves around beach area of LA such as Santa Monica, which tends to be affluent in terms of locals, of course..

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm

From Brisbane Times blurb,
Lime scooter rider busted for allegedly riding drunk, running red light.
A Lime scooter rider has been charged with drink driving after allegedly returning a blood alcohol concentration of 0.174 per cent – 3½ times the legal limit.

Police said the 43-year-old Newstead man was arrested on James Street on Saturday night after he was riding the scooter on the road, without a helmet, and failed to stop at a red light.
He was set to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on February 6.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

so, is he being treated as being drunk on bicycle offence (I've always heard that it was an offence to be drunk on a bicycle before DUI was ever made much of)..

or is he being treated as a drunk motorcyclist would?

Just the fact that he has been blood analysed x% and all...

anyone ever RBTd on their bicycle ???

see, because it is not a driver's license cancellation offence (I assume) I did not think they would blood x% you..? hmmm

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:31 pm

RetroPilot wrote:so, is he being treated as being drunk on bicycle offence (I've always heard that it was an offence to be drunk on a bicycle before DUI was ever made much of)..

or is he being treated as a drunk motorcyclist would?

Just the fact that he has been blood analysed x% and all...

anyone ever RBTd on their bicycle ???

see, because it is not a driver's license cancellation offence (I assume) I did not think they would blood x% you..? hmmm
It came up in another recent topic that Queensland has specific rules around driving a non-motorised vehicle while drunk that operate in a similar manner to the motorised drunk driving laws.

To the best of my knowledge the rest of Australia doesn't have these provisions and have much lower penalties for riding drunk.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 am

The fine is way out of proportion with the risk compared to other risks out there

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bik ... 50s0t.html

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:45 pm

E-scooter riders issued with hundreds of cautions by police during Lime trial in Adelaide's streets

From ABC news
Three riders have lost their licences, one has tested positive to meth and hundreds of others have been cautioned by police during Adelaide's Lime e-scooter trial which began last month.

The two-wheeled technology hit the city's streets at the start of the Adelaide Fringe festival and has so far proved popular with locals, with the total number of e-scooter trips in the city's streets expected to hit 100,000 this weekend.

But new police data has revealed many riders are continuing to disobey the law.

Five people have been reported for drink driving, with a highest recorded reading of 0.143 for one e-scooter rider.

Three riders returned readings that resulted in an instant loss of their driver's licences, and another tested positive for methamphetamines.

:shock: WT?? Too dangerous to use e-scooter while drunk....
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Do you need a license to ride an e-scooter?

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Our laws are archaic and our road authorities have usually been less than willing to accommodate motorised transport that isn't a car.

Under most of our states laws, any motorised conveyance is considered a motor vehicle and all the normal rules regarding motor vehicles apply. We have needed specific exemptions to allow e-scooters and the like and they have been limitted in scope.

Surely it would be easier to simply have a weight and speed limit on what can be categorised as a motorised vehicle. But no, that would be too sensible.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 pm

What I've noticed in Sydney that the remaining provider + the Lime the new ebike provider aren't getting their bikes vandalised, only pushed over. Most of the helmets have disappeared though.

I'm wondering if the those who set out to destroy bike share have lost interest?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu May 02, 2019 12:17 am

electric is the future! ?

https://cyclingindustry.news/uber-launc ... -brussels/

"Uber has launched its Jump bike share service in Brussels, making around 500 e-bikes available to be booked through the regular app of the ride-hailing company.

article lists other European cities that have taken up ... app that works .. trusted (?) US co' appeals to those that think maybe a car isn't what i need to get me from A to B...my gut says stuff like this will change the cityscape at some point

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu May 02, 2019 4:22 am

World's Second Largest Auto-Parts Supplier Leads $20m Investment In Swiss/US Dockless E-Bike Firm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 3fe15b310b
Denso of Japan is leading a $20 million investment in the US-headquartered Bond Mobility which operates dockless e-bike share schemes in Switzerland.

Part owned by the Toyota Group, Denso is the world’s second largest supplier of parts to the automotive industry. The investment in Bond Mobility is being shared with Ininvest. Denso said it investing in an e-bike bike share operator partly because it was “concerned about the projected future decline of new car sales.”

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun May 12, 2019 6:18 am

ACT bike share company Airbike will be able to double its fleet to 400 after being given the go ahead to continue for another 12 months following a successful trial. E-bikes will also be considered in the expansion

https://the-riotact.com/bike-share-oper ... ion/301037
The bike share company that was able to trial its operations in the ACT last year will be able to double its fleet to 400 after being given the go ahead to continue for another 12 months.
“Damage to the bikes was minimal and early initial complaints about ‘abandoned’ bikes diminished as the community became accustomed to share bikes positioned around the city. Airbike exceeded expectations responding to all urgent requests for removal of bikes within an average of 23 minutes; and non-urgent reports within 24 hours,” Ms Fitzharris said.

“The trial demonstrates that bike share can be successful when the parties work together and showcased Canberra as an innovative, bicycle-friendly city that values good health, community and environmental outcomes.”

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Thread bump - anyone know where all the obikes went? I was keen to grab a few but stupidly thought I'd 'do the right thing' and wait until the flogged them but no dice. Is there a field somewhere they are all stored at?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I'd like to source a shaft drive Mobike, but they all seem to have vanished, replaced with 1:1 chain drive versions. Bu**er. I see a few yellow OBikes laying about, mostly with the locking mechanism gone in various states of decay.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Uber are bringing eBikes to Australia

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company ... spartanntp