Putting the "oh no" into obikes

human909

Re: Putting the "oh no" into obikes

Postby human909 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 am

mikesbytes wrote:In Sydney there's the odd bike permanently locked up to bike ring with adverting attached.
In Melbourne there is a CBD there are a couple of famous religious ones with slogans like "Jesus our Saviour" etc...

What is interesting it the extremely strong locks used. Heavy steel members filled with concrete!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 pm

human909 wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:In Sydney there's the odd bike permanently locked up to bike ring with adverting attached.
In Melbourne there is a CBD there are a couple of famous religious ones with slogans like "Jesus our Saviour" etc...

What is interesting it the extremely strong locks used. Heavy steel members filled with concrete!
Does wiggle sell these locks?
Go!Run!GAH!

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm

It’d be easier to cut the bike than cut the lock :?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:15 pm

I think the sign adds an aero factor that compensates for the weight of the lock.
Go!Run!GAH!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:10 am

Apparently, we are not the only ones dealing with random o-bikes lying around the place. Berlin has a major issue with them as well...

https://www.deutschlandfunknova.de/beit ... den-obikes

open the link in Chrome and hit translate, is then sort of intelligible.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: is then sort of intelligible.
This bit doesn't need google translate :D
"OBike auch in Deutschland Insolvenz angemeldet hat. Die Situation ist ... unklar."

Hints:
a) angemeldet - applied
b) If in Yoda the force so strong is...
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 am

somewhere higher up I posted something about LIME rolling out electric scooter and bike hire in some US cities.....seem to be actively recruiting people to start up in Aus - think this is 3rd advert that I've seen (photo of part of ad' as doubt link will last long but included) Lime is listed as a subsidiary of Cable and Wireless which could be described as a struggling mobile communications minion once a British behometh, believe vodaphone sold it off as too small/fragmented

https://au.indeed.com/cmp/Lime/jobs/New ... k4a3c7ecj0

1Rowdy1

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:40 pm

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/lessons ... ce-things/

Another take on why obikes never took off.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

1Rowdy1 wrote:https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/lessons ... ce-things/

Another take on why obikes never took off.
Great article: everyone should read it before posting!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 pm

An interesting perspective but misses the other bit of creating a database of saleable user data. Think the bikes are irrelevant to the cause and o-bikes always knew they'd be abandoning them. Sounds very hit n run and even fraudulent. Don't think they had any expectation of providing a service beyond the short-term
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am

a couple more articles on the move towards electric scooter hire in cities - think relevant as impact on utility cycling will either be zero or profound....scooter users generally freely mix with pedestrians and my gut feeling is that users don't think they are vehicles in the legal sense...so will the outcome be more punitive legislation for non vehicular transport (including cyclists) or a realisation by many that you can get to the shops/gym/station/college/work other than by car and that other modes of transport need accommodating not punitive controlling?

"Taxify unveils plans to bring electric scooter-sharing to Australia"

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startup ... australia/

"L.A. Imposes Speed Limits, Vehicle Caps on Dockless Scooters"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... es-1139969

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:45 pm

More than 58,000 oBikes removed from public spaces (in Singapore) after company went into liquidation

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... a-10759816

SINGAPORE: More than 58,000 oBikes have been removed from public spaces around Singapore after the company went into liquidation earlier this year, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Wednesday (Sep 26).

In response to queries from Channel NewsAsia, LTA said that it has been working with FTI Consulting, the liquidators of oBike Asia, to remove the bicycles from the streets. Some of those which were removed by LTA officers are now temporarily stored at holding sites and are being progressively removed to be scrapped, LTA added.

It was reported previously that oBike estimated it had around 70,000 bicycles in Singapore.One of the sites where the bikes are being stored is an LTA building situated between Pelton Canal and the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE), near the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE).

When Channel NewsAsia visited the area last weekend, thousands of bikes were seen stacked up in the grounds of the building.

When FTI Consulting was appointed as oBike's liquidators, it said it would work with LTA and other vendors to ensure that oBike’s bicycles “continue to be collected and thereafter, realised in an orderly manner”.

In July, Channel NewsAsia observed oBikes being scrapped at a Tuas compound.

The bike-sharing company announced in June that it is shutting operations in Singapore, citing difficulties in meeting the new requirements put in place by LTA to tackle indiscriminate parking.

It owes users S$8.9 million in total, according to FTI Consulting’s senior managing director Joshua Taylor.

Thoglette

The problem isn’t dockless share bikes. It’s the lack of bike parking

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm

According to Fuller et al in The Conversation today
The problem isn’t dockless share bikes. It’s the lack of bike parking

I think they miss the point as to the actual aims of obike (see 10speedsemiracer comments above) but the point is well made. (Put "dutch bicycle parking trainstation" into your favourite search engine)

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:56 pm

And they are back! Pull out the popcorn. :lol:

https://www.techly.com.au/2018/11/08/li ... ed-sydney/
After a dramatic year for bike share operators in Sydney, a new player has entered the game with a fleet of modern electric-assist bikes.
Brightly painted bikes from US-based operator Lime were quietly installed in various locations in Sydney seemingly overnight, with several pods spotted on Oxford and Elizabeth streets.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:59 pm

human909 wrote:And they are back! Pull out the popcorn. :lol:

https://www.techly.com.au/2018/11/08/li ... ed-sydney/
After a dramatic year for bike share operators in Sydney, a new player has entered the game with a fleet of modern electric-assist bikes.
Brightly painted bikes from US-based operator Lime were quietly installed in various locations in Sydney seemingly overnight, with several pods spotted on Oxford and Elizabeth streets.
Can't wait for these ebike batteries to food the market once it flops!

On a serious note, I wonder what the charging infrastructure looks like?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm

The Limebike electric scooters often use crowd sourcing for their charging. I'm not sure if they do the same for the bikes.

Why hire somebody to do it when you can create an app and have "Juicers" do the work for you.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

human909 wrote:The Limebike electric scooters often use crowd sourcing for their charging. I'm not sure if they do the same for the bikes.
What does this even mean? Seriously I have no idea. Does this mean they pay peopel a small fee to charge the bikes?

I'm curious because my 12Ah ebike takes about 14 hours to charge any decent amount and about 2 hours to run flat on max. I have another that is 17Ah and that lasts a lot longer (6+ hours) but only because I use the lowest assist setting.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I saw 4 of these ebikes this morning, parked exactly like the picture. There were no helmets

How does recharging happen?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm

mikesbytes wrote:How does recharging happen?
<snark>You're presuming that's part of the business plan :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: </snark>

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Toyopet wrote:It’d be easier to cut the bike than cut the lock :?

yeah, well that is logical actually because I'd value the lock higher than the bike..

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I think that battery-bikes defeats half the point for most people, frankly...good tourist novelty, but is not by any means carbon zero,(not that I believe in that Warming sh** anyway, but, for sake of argument let's pretend I did)
in fact a battery which is probably made of Hazchems,(could have Pb, Cd, Pu ...who knows Say What is in batteries currently, a lot of them Simsmetal won't even take off your hands ) , little or no exercise value, more expensive unit with far more maintenance and reliability issues for the fleet owners.
There was nothing wrong with the O-bikes in principle.
Apparently no one took into account that our population really is substantially profoundly mentally retarded.
And no, not just and confined to the teenagers/schoolies , which are of course the most obviously and consistently infected group.
the council which came up with and imposed those farcical new rules are obviously examples of those 'tards, are as 'tarded as the 'tards who mistreated the bikes..possibly even some of the very same 'tards..
Last edited by RetroPilot on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Agree that not environmentally as good as a normal bicycle but still heaps better than catching a cab.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 pm

So how do they get charged? :D do they have swappable batteries?

Unlike the scooters which can be pickedup by Juicers in their own "large" cars, bikes be harder to pickup & take to a charging depot - you'd need a ute or truck... so add more carbon-negativity into the equation.

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:Agree that not environmentally as good as a normal bicycle but still heaps better than catching a cab.
oh, well, yeah, agree with that...obviously a 25kg vehicle , whether electric or gasoline or Say What
with 80kg passenger is less polluting than a 900kg vehicle with one or more 80kg passengers ..(I'll just use roughly my own weight as the typical average example)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:10 am

Tamiya wrote:So how do they get charged? :D do they have swappable batteries.
From BrissieTimes blurb.
Scroll further down to see this copied comment.
"Sydney's need for innovative transport solutions, which cater to the first and last mile, gives us confidence we will see high uptake of Lime electric bikes within the community."

The electric bicycles contain a lithium battery, which is replaced every two days by operational staff, and allows users to ride at speeds up to 23.8km/h, even over hilly terrain.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...