Gear adjusting

tuco

Gear adjusting

Postby tuco » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 am

I had to take my bike into the lbs to get the gears checked out. I was already to go and we had a brief shower of rain. Not enough to even register in the gauge but enough to wet the ground so I couldn't get there without ending up with a racing stripe up my back. I had to go straight to work from the lbs so I ended up not taking it in.

Maybe someone can help? The last couple of rides when I've been on the middle chain ring and in the middle of the cassette the gears have been jumping up and down (or at least I think trying to - not game to watch the cassette too long while riding)

The bike shop guy would have only adjusted something. I can't see to many things to adjust. Any ideas on how I can fix this myself?

If it helps it's a SORA 8 speed.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:11 am

Are these of any use? http://www.shimano.com.au/media/cycling ... 590922.pdf
I haven't read through them myself yet, but they might help.
You can get to the Service Instructions for each component in the Sora range by going to the Shimano website (www.shimano.com.au), clicking on the 'Products' tab (top left corner) then selecting 'Road Bike', then 'Sora', then the component that you want (RD3300GS for the triple chainwheel rear derailleur).

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks Peter, that's about all I've been able to find today as well.

I'll give it a go tonight.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 am

Sounds like gradual cable stretch.

Turn the gear cable adjuster screw counter-clockwise 1/4 turn and see what happens ie. Tighten.

If that doesn't work, then go through the instruction manual carefully. In any case, it's worthwhile knowing how to properly setup a derailleur from scratch.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.