First Mountain Bike?

Baysurf24

First Mountain Bike?

Postby Baysurf24 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Ive been wanting to get into mountain biking but i don’t know what bike to get. I’m planning on getting one for under $1000 AUD but still able to ride on most beginner to intermediate trails. im 4,9″ and 40 kg, some things that i want in the mountain bike is hydraulic disk brakes, quick release levers in the wheels and fairly good air sprung suspension.
Thanks. :)

bychosis

Re: First Mountain Bike?

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

When you say you want to get into it, do you mean you've never ridden off road before, or that you are finding the limits of your current hybrid, or cheapie.

For that budget stick with a 29" hardtail, don't even think about dual suspension for under $1500. If you are looking at serious MTB riding, then $1k is around the entry point, you might want to consider spending more. If you do really get into it you might find that you will want an upgrade soon and you might find that your first bike is not compatible so cannot take components with you when you upgrade.

Anything with that budget should have QR wheels, just depends which standard they are using. Air forks might be a stretch, but hyd brakes should be included in that budget.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm

bychosis wrote:When you say you want to get into it, do you mean you've never ridden off road before, or that you are finding the limits of your current hybrid, or cheapie.

For that budget stick with a 29" hardtail, don't even think about dual suspension for under $1500. If you are looking at serious MTB riding, then $1k is around the entry point, you might want to consider spending more. If you do really get into it you might find that you will want an upgrade soon and you might find that your first bike is not compatible so cannot take components with you when you upgrade.

Anything with that budget should have QR wheels, just depends which standard they are using. Air forks might be a stretch, but hyd brakes should be included in that budget.
Mostly agree, except for the 29er part. For smaller sizes, I'd go for a 27.5. Most bicycle manufacturers don't even make 29ers for smaller sizes anymore because the geometry is a real compromise.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Calvin27 wrote:For smaller sizes, I'd go for a 27.5.
I agree with this - get a 27.5.

For under a thousand you'll definitely get hydraulic brakes but your air sprung fork will be entry level stuff. But don't worry too much about it - it will be decent enough for your needs.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
bychosis wrote:When you say you want to get into it, do you mean you've never ridden off road before, or that you are finding the limits of your current hybrid, or cheapie.

Mostly agree, except for the 29er part. For smaller sizes, I'd go for a 27.5. Most bicycle manufacturers don't even make 29ers for smaller sizes anymore because the geometry is a real compromise.
My bad. Missed the bit about the small rider, so yes, 27.5 wheels.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Then don't overthink it, just get out there and ride! Plenty of people (me included) riding green and blue trails on 10-20 year old mountain bikes with 26 inch wheels and coil sprung forks :D

I highly recommend knee and elbow pads though.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

stevebni

Postby stevebni » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:40 pm

29er? 650b (27.5)? I'd say neither, as your starting out I'd say go find a nice used 26in wheeled bike.

Not sure if Aus is like where I live (Ireland), but everyone is/has changed up to the bigger wheel sizes so there are some bargain nearly new 26ers kicking about.

At this early stage of off road riding you've no idea what type of mountain biking will eventually suit you, so go 2nd hand, then, when you move it on to get something more suitable (to the riding you end up doing) you'll lose less.

Don't worry about what spring is in the fork, air or coil, at this point focus on the whole bike, not one specific feature.