NEWSCORP: Headphones 'Epidemic' Killing Pedestrians and Cyclists

human909

Re: NEWSCORP: Headphones 'Epidemic' Killing Pedestrians and Cyclists

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Some of this starts to sound suspiciously like motorists saying why should they have to veer onto the other side of the road due to a slow moving cyclist....

Why should the mobile phone users have to jump out of your way? (Hint: nobody needs to jump out of anybody's way.) In practice pedestrians navigate their own way around each other without too much difficulty this includes those staring at a screen.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What about deaf people, should they be banned from public spaces?
On topic, and excellent point.

I ask however, should we all be afforded the same leeway that a person of disability is granted?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm

human909 wrote: In practice pedestrians navigate their own way around each other without too much difficulty this includes those staring at a screen.
I don't believe that's entirely true.

In practice bullies continue to influence daily life unfairly. In this case, there's few "accidents" because the timid or those who just couldn't be bothered outnumber the bullies.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:33 pm

fat and old wrote:
human909 wrote: In practice pedestrians navigate their own way around each other without too much difficulty this includes those staring at a screen.

In practice bullies continue to influence daily life unfairly. In this case, there's few "accidents" because the timid or those who just couldn't be bothered outnumber the bullies.
I think we are mostly in agreement here. Though that said....

But go take a seat for an hour in the CBD during the day and see just how many people pedestrians are actually 'bullies'. And no, I would call people who avoid physical confrontation 'timid'.
Talking about bullies on the street does remind me of this:
(https://vimeo.com/43177217)

Thoglette

NEWSCORP: Clickbait

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:02 pm

human909 wrote:Some of this starts to sound suspiciously like motorists saying why should they have to veer onto the other side of the road due to a slow moving cyclist....
Cyclists? Pedestrians? Who cares? They don't pay rego.

"It's not my fault if I hit one" is the message behind this beat up.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm

human909 wrote:
fat and old wrote:

I think we are mostly in agreement here. Though that said....

But go take a seat for an hour in the CBD during the day and see just how many people pedestrians are actually 'bullies'. And no, I would call people who avoid physical confrontation 'timid'.
Talking about bullies on the street does remind me of this:
(https://vimeo.com/43177217)

I'm liking the cyclist reference there :lol: . He should have stopped and thrown his bike on the fat plick.. :P

I didn't call everyone who avoids confrontation timid. Some are, some couldn't be bothered with it for the ROI. I've seen bullies work it out fast, and make the timid pay...one of my hates.