Any Brompton owners here?

BugsBunny

Any Brompton owners here?

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Any Bromptons owners here?

ddoohickey

Re: Any Brompton owners here?

Postby ddoohickey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Yep. Have a 2015 P6L (old shifters) and there’s a 2016 P6L (newest shifters) in the household as well. Use as daily commuters in all weathers and have done some limited multi-modal cycle touring with trains, buses, planes, etc too.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

Doesn't seem all that popular in Oz - or at least on this forum. Here in Hong Kong its quite the opposite - I guess namely due to the small houses, which fits quite nicely with the compact Bromptons.

What sort of gearing do you use on your tours? Presumably with hilly terrain?

Bugs

redned

Postby redned » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm interested in folding-bike touring as well.
We have done four overseas (and one Tasmania) trip taking our MTBs as touring bikes.
Recently going to France I couldn't work out how to get in and out of CDG airport in Paris and get to Brittany with a boxed or unboxed bike.
We ended up hiring bikes, which worked out pretty well, but I would prefer my own.
That lead me to thinking of folding bikes.
I am probably leaning towards something with bigger wheels than Bromptons though, like the Tern Eclipse 18 but they are very expensive!

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I've had an M6 with home-made rack for years. Love it. I mostly use it for train/bus but it has been known to sit on the pillion seat of the motorcycle so I can take said motorcycle to my mechanic then ride the 3km to the nearest train station to get home.

They are expensive in Oz terms, I get a lot of interest and a lot of horror when people find out that a 6 speed with luggage is going to be over 2 grand. Serious cyclists consider that midrange but most serious cyclists don't see Bromptons as serious bikes. Non-cyclists see the potential but the next remark is always "you can get a car for that".

"Yeah, but I can't take that on the train can I"

I didn't realise how much I would use the thing when I got it, but it's absolutely embedded in my life now.

ddoohickey

Postby ddoohickey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:10 pm

We bought our Brompton for ride-train-ride commuting, which is where they really come into their own. They are also very convenient for car-ride commutes or car trips away. Most Australian homes have much better bike storage options than in Europe, like London, where the bikes were designed.

As far as gearing, we have the standard 6 gear setup - wide range hub and the standard chainring. For commuting in Canberra (a reasonably flat route), I usually sit in the middle two gears, rarely getting into the top or bottom hub gears and almost never into the extremities. For touring, I’ve thought about getting the smaller chainring for the Brompton for really steep hills, but touring on the Brompton is usually lightweight (to make the multi-modal bit easier). We don't have racks and use only a front bag on the carrier block. We tackle hilly places at a leisurely rate and stick to quiet roads, bike paths and the like. Something with bigger wheels would definitely be a priority for less formed roads and smaller gears for bigger hills ! A Bike Friday might be a compromise worth exploring - slightly larger wheels, designed to disassemble/fold for travel and a bigger range of gearing options.

The challenge with taking the Bromptons on planes is what to do with the hard cases we have at the end of the plane journey. If we store them then we have to return to the same point at the end of the trip, which can limit the range of trips. If we don't use them, we're concerned how the bikes might fare with luggage handlers ... and how repairs etc. might derail a trip.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 pm

So far the B hasn't had problems on planes. I use a soft case. Remove the hinge plates, pedals, seat, rack, pad the sharp bits like seatpost and hinges. The trick with planes is to make the whole package baggage-handler friendly: packed tightly so it doesn't snag and with easy to see and grab straps.