Hello, I am new here

Balaverde

Hello, I am new here

Postby Balaverde » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello everyone, I am from Spain and I have been in Australia since Nov '17.

I love cycling but right now I do not have a bicycle to join a group. Only a urban bicycle to move around. I am living in Brisbane and see every afternoon lots of cyclists doing exercise along the river.

I do not know many places out of Brisbane, and the only places I have been to do not look like appropriate for enjoying a ride : traffic density, no hard shoulder, and no cyclist on the road.

The thing is I am looking to buy a nice second hand bike and try to join some Brisbane group to have something to do, know new people & discover new places. In my country the bicycle was the best way to discover small towns, nice bars to have breakfast, met new people, etc. so I would like to try to do the same here if possible.

But before spend the money in one bicycle, are there safe roads out there to go cycling? Any nice mountain?

Thanks for your time :)

uart

Re: Hello, I am new here

Postby uart » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Balaverde wrote:Hello everyone, I am from Spain and I have been in Australia since Nov '17.

I love cycling but right now I do not have a bicycle to join a group. Only a urban bicycle to move around. I am living in Brisbane and see every afternoon lots of cyclists doing exercise along the river.

I do not know many places out of Brisbane, and the only places I have been to do not look like appropriate for enjoying a ride : traffic density, no hard shoulder, and no cyclist on the road.

The thing is I am looking to buy a nice second hand bike and try to join some Brisbane group to have something to do, know new people & discover new places. In my country the bicycle was the best way to discover small towns, nice bars to have breakfast, met new people, etc. so I would like to try to do the same here if possible.

But before spend the money in one bicycle, are there safe roads out there to go cycling? Any nice mountain?

Thanks for your time :)
Hi Balaverde, I'm not from Brisbane so I can't comment on the cycling conditions there, though I can say (sadly) that most places in Australia would be relatively cycling unfriendly compared to your country.

Despite that however, if you find a group to cycle with it is quite likely that they will have a lot of local knowledge regarding relatively safe and enjoyable routes for a nice ride. Often there are combinations of back streets and cycle paths that you can link up for an enjoyable ride in even the most seemingly bicycle unfriendly places.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Hello and welcome to Australia. If you post in the Queensland forum you will likely find like-minded people to ride with.

Other options:
Download Strava and look at rides near you.
Ask around local bike shops selling high end road bikes about group rides.
Download Trailforks (more MTB related than road)

It is possible to find safe and fun places to ride, otherwise we wouldn't be here, we'd all be pushing up daisies in a cemetery somewhere. However, it can't be denied that our road culture is pretty antagonistic toward cyclists with lots of aggressive drivers. Most group rides start early to avoid the worst of the traffic.

Another option is to do what are becoming known as "gravel rides" - riding on dirt or unsealed gravel roads in rural areas. Some are quite beautiful and picturesque. The typical bike for this kind of adventure is a CX bike with more relaxed geometry or one of the newer bikes specifically designed for it.

Forum member @ldrcycles might be able to offer some advice as he is quite active in south east Queensland

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:30 am

Haven't been back up to BNE in recent yrs but when we were up there we saw decent bike paths etc.

This is a handy guide for newbies :)
https://www.cyclingbrisbane.com.au/site ... n_2017.pdf

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 am

First off enjoy Australia. I find that most foreigners love it here and many choose to stay. That said it isn't a cyclist's paradise.
Balaverde wrote:In my country the bicycle was the best way to discover small towns, nice bars to have breakfast, met new people, etc. so I would like to try to do the same here if possible.
The Australian built landscape is much younger than Europe. As a result most towns and cities have been built mostly since faster modes of transport. This is particularly true in younger states such as Queensland. Our rural cities are much more sparsely spaced and often even our urban centres are built mainly with motorised transport in mind. :(

Simply put don't expect the same variation and interest in 'discovering' small towns here as you would in Europe. All that said it is still an excellent way to explore the urban and rural landscapes as a new visitor.
Balaverde wrote:I do not know many places out of Brisbane, and the only places I have been to do not look like appropriate for enjoying a ride : traffic density, no hard shoulder, and no cyclist on the road.
You are entirely correct there. Our roads are not built to cater for cycling and our drivers are generally particularly hostile towards cyclists. As a rule, don't expect courtesy from drivers and don't expect that they'll see you and pass you safely. (Cycling is still a generally safe activity but safety statistics are much worse than most areas of Europe.)
Balaverde wrote:Any nice mountain?
HA! :) Australia doesn't have any 'mountains', not at least the sort you would find on every other continent on Earth. (Geologically we are a very old continent.) But we do have small mountains and a fair bit of nice nature around Brisbane.

I've recently spent a couple weekends as a tourist in Brisbane. There is plenty of national parks with a bicycle ride with nice 'mountains' (hills) and places to explore. Mount Tamborine is a nice place to visit that is popular with tourists, you just need to find the best route to ride there that isn't a ugly main road.

Others have said strava heat maps:
https://www.strava.com/heatmap#11.96/15 ... 3/blue/all

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 pm

human909 wrote:HA! :) Australia doesn't have any 'mountains'l
That's not entirely true, there are plenty of good mountains in the Alpine area between VIC and NSW - many of which are very tough riding. They may not be pointy like the European Alps, but the roads up them are comparable.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

djw47 wrote:but the roads up them are comparable.
From that perspective, quite true. But I was talking about our nature not the man made infrastructure.

But the vista's and surrounding geography is not comparable.
djw47 wrote:That's not entirely true, there are plenty of good mountains in the Alpine area between VIC and NSW - many of which are very tough riding. They may not be pointy like the European Alps
Its not just the European Alps that are pointy. Most notable continental mountain ranges are 'pointy'.

Australia, because of its geological age and the lack of significant fault lines lacks this. We lack altitude of any significance and we lack 'pointlessness' in most places. (Tasmania gets pointy.) But out tallest 'mountain' used to have a road up to the top does sort of make a joke out of the term 'mountain'. :mrgreen:

From repeated chats to foreigners Australia doesn't have 'mountains' in most people's common definition. Our Alpine region as beautiful as it is struggles to properly reach this.

Pick the odd continent out: :wink:

Asia: Mount Everest 8850 meters
South America: Aconcagua 6962 meters
North America: Denali AKA Mount McKinley 6194 meters
Africa: Kilimanjaro 5895 meters
Europe: Mount Elbrus (5642 meters)
Antarctica: Mount Vinson (4897 meters)
Australia: Mount Kosciusko (2228 meters) OR Oceania: Puncak Jaya (4884 meters)

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm

human909 wrote: From repeated chats to foreigners Australia doesn't have 'mountains' in most people's common definition. Our Alpine region as beautiful as it is struggles to properly reach this.
This, a certain type of Americans love their fourteeners (i.e. twice as high as Kosiosko) and some people try to climb all of them (there are 96 in the USA).

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 pm

None of these posts are likely to be of much help to the OP.

Balaverde, you don't say what kind of bicycle you want to buy, what kind of riding you want to do.

Many of the groups you see riding the riverside bikeway are sportive riders, if this what you are interested in then most bicycle shops will have organised rides, just search the web for your local shops. They'll most likely have used bikes you can buy too. Another good source of bikes is the Gumtree site on the web. At the budget end there is a bike recycling centre at Montague Road West End.

You can find a list of cycling clubs here. Cycling Queensland Clubs.

There also quite a few cycle coaching establishments which hold regular rides, MB Cycles and Cam's Cycle Coaching come to mind. And there are informal groups such as the Southbank bunch and the Park Road bunch riding from La Dolce Vita in Milton - just turn up at around 5:30-6:00am most days and jump on the bunch.

For more social rides, If you are a Facebook user, join the Friendly Brisbane Cyclist group, or on Meetup, Brisbane Minglers Cycling Group is more sportive, Brisbane Bicycling Meetup is more social. And if you like touring, the Brisbane Bicycle Touring Association hold regular local rides and tours. Bicycle Queensland also run regular events.

No big mountains here but Mt Coot-Tha is right near the city and is a popular training ride. At little further out are Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious, also popular training routes, further out again is Mt Mee. All will give your legs a good workout. There are also many good climbs in the Gold Coast hinterland - Springbrook, Beechmont, Binna Burra, O'Reilly's are all good leg testers.

And finally, I have a 56cm Campagnolo equipped carbon Kuota Kredo road bike I will part with a reasonable price if that would suit you.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm in Brisbane and I do some of the group rides with the Lifecycle group. If you want to do sporty-ish bunch rides then they have a few options during the week. Other bike shops and groups do so to, but I don't know all of them. They have groups of various speeds so they cater for a variety of abilities.

There are FaceBook groups too - like the Friendly Brisbane Cyclists, and some Meetup groups.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:19 am

human909 wrote:
djw47 wrote:but the roads up them are comparable.
From that perspective, quite true. But I was talking about our nature not the man made infrastructure.

But the vista's and surrounding geography is not comparable.
djw47 wrote:That's not entirely true, there are plenty of good mountains in the Alpine area between VIC and NSW - many of which are very tough riding. They may not be pointy like the European Alps
Its not just the European Alps that are pointy. Most notable continental mountain ranges are 'pointy'.

Australia, because of its geological age and the lack of significant fault lines lacks this. We lack altitude of any significance and we lack 'pointlessness' in most places. (Tasmania gets pointy.) But out tallest 'mountain' used to have a road up to the top does sort of make a joke out of the term 'mountain'. :mrgreen:

From repeated chats to foreigners Australia doesn't have 'mountains' in most people's common definition. Our Alpine region as beautiful as it is struggles to properly reach this.

Pick the odd continent out: :wink:

Asia: Mount Everest 8850 meters
South America: Aconcagua 6962 meters
North America: Denali AKA Mount McKinley 6194 meters
Africa: Kilimanjaro 5895 meters
Europe: Mount Elbrus (5642 meters)
Antarctica: Mount Vinson (4897 meters)
Australia: Mount Kosciusko (2228 meters) OR Oceania: Puncak Jaya (4884 meters)

Fair enough from a geography pov, but there's not too many people cycling up those mountains! I'm originally from the UK and the perception is that Australia is entirely flat, and over most of the country/continent it is, however it's worth pointing out that there are dozens of sealed roads in Australia that are higher than the highest peak in the UK. Even a fairly "small" mountain like Donna Buang outside Melbourne which can be ridden to the summit on sealed roads is roughly the same height as the highest peaks in the UK, none of which are rideable to the top.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am

^ Perhaps you could have your arguments elsewhere and instead address to OP's question, or not at all if you have no knowledge of Brisbane cycling, and let the thread get back on topic.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

RonK wrote:None of these posts are likely to be of much help to the OP.

Balaverde, you don't say what kind of bicycle you want to buy, what kind of riding you want to do.
Not that he seems to be coming back, but....

The name Balaverde...he's a Valverde fan. So watches (at least) pro-cycling.
"Only" an urban cycle. Watches the sports/fitness cyclists.
Want's a group ride. Knows what a group ride is. Gets about "rural" in Spain. Again, sports cyclist. Possibly tourer, but says nothing about extended rides, overnighters, gravel specifically. Only
Any nice mountain?
I'd guess a sports cyclist, likes the social atmosphere, enjoys the longer (100+) rides in a nice area, likes his/her food (Spanish!!), knows that after breakfast you only drink espresso or maybe a macchiato (again, Spanish!). Maybe a Moustache ride type (Defunct Barcelona shop ride at Pave).

If you see this BalaV, and it sounds right, ask for a group ride around the river, maybe Coot-tha or Mt Glorious (is that right Queenslanders?). Maybe JasonC or even Lukey can chime in?

If I'm off the mark, well....I'm in Melbourne anyway :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 am

human909 wrote: we lack 'pointlessness' in most places.
Unlike this thread..... :lol: :lol:

Come on...it was there for the taking.....