Bluetooth bike pump ... what?

twowheels

Bluetooth bike pump ... what?

Postby twowheels » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 am

I read/viewed a review about a Silca Tattica bike pump. Turns out there is also a bluetooth model, AUD225 approx. In layperson/luddite terms, W.T.F. does a bluetooth bike pump do?

Procat

Re: Bluetooth bike pump ... what?

Postby Procat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 am

According to their blurb transmits tyre pressure when inflating the tube to an app on your phone. More accurate than testing by pushing with your thumb presumably.

Definitely more draining on your wallet.
Doug

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 am

twowheels wrote:I read/viewed a review about a Silca Tattica bike pump. Turns out there is also a bluetooth model, AUD225 approx. In layperson/luddite terms, W.T.F. does a bluetooth bike pump do?
It inflates a bicycle tyre and deflates your bank account.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 am

It seems it is cheaper/easier to install a small bluetooth enabled sensor into a product now than it is to install an analogue gauge. Because techno-trickery price inflated.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:36 am

g-boaf wrote:
twowheels wrote:I read/viewed a review about a Silca Tattica bike pump. Turns out there is also a bluetooth model, AUD225 approx. In layperson/luddite terms, W.T.F. does a bluetooth bike pump do?
It inflates a bicycle tyre and deflates your bank account.
... AND it's another thing that requires charging. :roll:
... AND it probably costs half as much if bought outside Australia. :roll: :roll:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am

Hopefully it syncs with Strava to analyse your intended route, as well as your Garmin to obtain your physical attributes, all cross checked with current cycling trends, which will advise you of the optimum tyre pressure. Of course that information will be delivered securely because it's top secret. Then all your followers will receive a tweet that you are getting ready to go for a ride. Like.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:31 am

P!N20 wrote:Hopefully it syncs with Strava to analyse your intended route, as well as your Garmin to obtain your physical attributes, all cross checked with current cycling trends, which will advise you of the optimum tyre pressure. Of course that information will be delivered securely because it's top secret. Then all your followers will receive a tweet that you are getting ready to go for a ride. Like.
Ha! Where's the like button!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:33 pm

So its a pump with a gauge for the vision impaired or Mamils not wearing their reading glasses!!
How about if they come up with a valve cap that could Bluetooth the tyre pressure to your phone or bike computer while you are riding. Probably just as unnecessary but maybe slightly more useful if you had a slow leak.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 pm

brokenbus wrote:So its a pump with a gauge for the vision impaired or Mamils not wearing their reading glasses!!
How about if they come up with a valve cap that could Bluetooth the tyre pressure to your phone or bike computer while you are riding. Probably just as unnecessary but maybe slightly more useful if you had a slow leak.
er...will a replacement valve core do instead of a valve cap?

https://www.quarq.com/product/tyrewiz/# ... yaqk3a5igs
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I spoke to Silca owner Josh Poertner at the release in 2017 Tattico minipump and he explained some of the tech of how they were able to solve it for reliability and accuracy.

A reason for creating such products which can sometime be brushed off as superfluous is the brands want to move towards or remain in the cutting edge to that they can remain relevant. Digital is where the most activities lies now but a bike can be fairly mechanical and at every corner, brands are seeing if and how they can patch on something digital.

Silca are fairly premium in quality and price so you can sit back... observe and if/when the tech becomes viable and useful, the pricing will drop and availability increase.
Cycling is in my BNA

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 pm

I can't find the emoji for a steaming dump! :roll:

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:22 pm

There is an "analog" version available which was the one I saw reviewed. It is only a hunge or so! The review was in respect to bikepacking, the sought advantage was compact & weight. I could see the advantage/quality of the reviewed pump, but at $100 - not for me.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Sounds like a load of hot air....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 am

Duck! wrote:Sounds like a load of hot air....
Be great for winter mornings then.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 am

brokenbus wrote:So its a pump with a gauge for the vision impaired or Mamils not wearing their reading glasses!!
:oops: :lol:

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Wow they actually already make them. A bit expensive at $300 au though. Especially if you put them on a mtb as they look like they would be prone to damage.
mikgit wrote:

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Personally this is one bit of kit I couldn't be without.

Force sensors in the handle measure the pumping power and the pumping cadence (pump strokes per minute) transmitting all the info to my ANT+ devices. This allows me to do interval training, pumping at 80% VO2 max or sustained pumping (via a special tube with a slow leak that can be purchased separately) at 60% VO2 max.

Sometimes I also pace myself, pumping behind a motor cyclist (stationary at the garage) while he is filling his tyres from the air compressor.

Yes I know that this kit is pricey, but on the upside I've found that I can now get all the exercise and enjoyment that I need by just pumping tyres. I've actually been able to sell my bike and keep only a set of wheels for pumping - so it actually saves you money!

I'm now eagerly anticipating the upcoming changes to Strava to include a "pumping section", where I can upload all my PSI, kPa and airflow litres per minute data - so I can finally share this stuff with the rest of the world.

This is an exciting new sport, and I think that the technology is still in it's infancy. Trust me, big things are on the horizon in the pumping world!
Last edited by uart on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 pm

uart wrote:(via a special tube with a slow leak that can be purchased separately)
At an inflated price of course....

Sorry, couldn't let that opportunity pass. :mrgreen:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Duck! wrote:
uart wrote:(via a special tube with a slow leak that can be purchased separately)
At an inflated price of course....

Sorry, couldn't let that opportunity pass. :mrgreen:
I can ;)

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:35 pm

bychosis wrote:
Duck! wrote:Sounds like a load of hot air....
Be great for winter mornings then.
Wouldn't the pressure go down as the air cooled?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:22 pm

brokenbus wrote:Wow they actually already make them. A bit expensive at $300 au though. Especially if you put them on a mtb as they look like they would be prone to damage.
mikgit wrote:

I actually think these are a nifty idea...and if they were like $10, i'd be something I might buy/use for the giggle value... but at $US100 each... thats a big nope.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 pm

mikgit wrote:
brokenbus wrote:Wow they actually already make them. A bit expensive at $300 au though. Especially if you put them on a mtb as they look like they would be prone to damage.
mikgit wrote:

I actually think these are a nifty idea...and if they were like $10, i'd be something I might buy/use for the giggle value... but at $US100 each... thats a big nope.
Yes i might part with $50 for a pair at the most. You can get speed cadence sensors for around that. Would be good for tubeless tyres which tend to lose pressure intermittently.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 am

The youtube reviewer might be reviewing the bluetooth version in a week or so. He may be giving away an analog version of the pump to a yt viewer. Don't know t&c.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:45 pm

I read somewhere that in the U.K., schools were removing analogue clocks from class rooms.
Modern kids can only read digital read outs :roll:

obviously cars will all need digital readout instruments in the future - mine already has both.

digital smartphone onscreen readouts are the future. :|

A quick check of the 38 staff in our office revealed not one of those persons could drive a manual gearbox car.

Hence just another evolution in the technological process - digital bicycle tyre pressures. (I already have this facility in my car)