Top value for money hybrids/commuter bikes

Ehsan14

Top value for money hybrids/commuter bikes

Postby Ehsan14 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am

I spend a good 30 to 40 mins everyday staring at Canyon Commuter 8. Its a beautiful and very functional bike. I for some reason really like the dynamo feature. But i think the bike is expensive and not good value for money.

https://www.canyon.com/en/urban/commute ... r-8-0.html

Btw i was wondering which bike in your opinion is really good value for money?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Top value for money hybrids/commuter bikes

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:38 am

Some of the Polygon flat bar bikes seem good value. I must admit to really liking the Canyon tho....
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Value for money bike? Pretty much anything with 'Giant' branding on it.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 pm

That canyon looks a bit yuck to me, but does have plenty of features. Belt Drive, internal gears, dynamo, racks, discs. You pay a premium for all that stuff, but there are cheaper, perfectly functional bikes available that will do the same with a chain, derailleur etc. Maybe the cheaper ones are better value.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Ehsan14 wrote:I spend a good 30 to 40 mins everyday staring at Canyon Commuter 8. Its a beautiful and very functional bike. I for some reason really like the dynamo feature. But i think the bike is expensive and not good value for money.
So, do you want to ride it or worry about how much it costs?

The front hub alone is a $400 component. The rear rack $200. The rear hub has an RRP that's a third of the whole bike!

There's lots of high quality bits put together in a rather schmick looking package. Pretty, even.

Now, a Reid Vintage Roadster with a couple of cheap lights will provide similar functionality for not much more than the cost of the Gate's bits and tyres included on that bike.

Likewise one could buy a JP Weigle bike at 3x the price of the canyon.

But which do you want to own? Which fits your budget and usage profile?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Ehsan14 wrote:I spend a good 30 to 40 mins everyday staring at Canyon Commuter 8. Its a beautiful and very functional bike. I for some reason really like the dynamo feature. But i think the bike is expensive and not good value for money.

https://www.canyon.com/en/urban/commute ... r-8-0.html

Btw i was wondering which bike in your opinion is really good value for money?
$3600 incl shipping for that Canyon is a lot more than you need to spend to get a bike with those specs, however if your budget allows, then go for it. You could save the money then end up with buyer's remorse, forever wishing you'd just bought that Canyon after all.

If it's more than you ideally want to spend, you can get a great bike for half the Canyon's cost.

As suggested, check out the Polygon range. This one has belt drive and 8 internal gears:
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... mmut~67081

This one has traditional derailleur gearing, but has lights, rack and fenders included:
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... -city-bike

Both are $1100 before shipping. So they'll save you money, but are they the bike you really want?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!