What is wrong with one piece covers for my gear cables?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

What is wrong with one piece covers for my gear cables?

Postby tinstaafl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:41 pm

G'day forum,
I own a Trek MTB with flash gear cables that are in two pieces with a gap along the top of the crossbar where the cables are naked for the length of the cross bar.
The flash git who sold me the bike patronisingly told me that it was to let me 'back off' the gear levers and clean the cable of mud and stuff. He was very disparaging of the concept of replacing this with a single piece cable cover.
What do you reckon? I have never had dirty cables and I have ridden through hip deep floods at Byron. What do I lose if I go to a one piece cover for my gear cables?

Robert
tinstaafl

by BNA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 pm

BNA

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 pm

It's not so much what you'd lose, as what you'd probably gain - more friction on your cables as more of them is covered. :?
That said, it probably wouldn't be much, because you're talking about covering straight runs of cable. :)
You would have to consider how you would terminate them, as the lugs on your frame will be postioned to accommodate the 'normal' shorter outer covers.
LuckyPierre

Postby tinstaafl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:37 pm

peterrjleach wrote:You would have to consider how you would terminate them, as the lugs on your frame will be postioned to accommodate the 'normal' shorter outer covers.
I was wondering about that. I really can't see what I would really gain.
I guess that I'm just an old fashioned snob and I don't like the look of bare cables. It just looks wrong.

Robert
tinstaafl

Postby ggundersen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:22 am

What about your naked chain. Does that rub you the wrong way? No. Your just used to seeing it. The same will happen with cables, coloured tyres and so on. A sign of the times. Not better, just modern.
ggundersen

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:53 am

ggundersen wrote:What about your naked chain.
I must be getting old but I just can't seem to remember riding a bike without a naked chain.

Robert
tinstaafl

Postby Bnej » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:27 am

Some of the better kids bikes come with a chaincase, handy to keep little fingers safe I guess...

Also that Avon Indian bike company sells a bunch of single speeds with chain cases and/or dress guards.
Bnej

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:04 pm

I have had no problems with cables showing. The cables however are good cables (still original) and are sealed (with some kind of nice shiny see through coating) so they won't rust. The aesthetics are fine as with the functionality. On the other hand the hydralic brakes are plastic tubes which probably helps to keep the oil in :)
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General discussion