Does your MET helmet flip over?

Does your MET helmet flip over easily at the front?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 17
sogood

Does your MET helmet flip over?

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:18 pm

A fellow club member observed over Sun coffee that his MET helmet flips over easily to expose his forehead even when done up tightly. Since, identical issue was confirmed with mine and Mikebyte's MET helmets. This is potentially a serious issue as a properly designed and fitted bike helmet should protect the forehead foremost in the event of frontal impact. A helmet that easily flips up would not protect the forehead properly. And IIRC, bike helmet testing specifies that helmets should not flip over when fitted.

I am wondering if the same happens with your MET helmet and whether this is a common issue with MET's design and a potential design fault? As a reference, my Giro helmet does not do that.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 pm

My Met MTB helmet fits me very snuggly and there has been no hint of it hitting turbulence and flipping. The peak on a Met MTB helmet is very small so wouldn't affect things much.

You guys are experienced cyclists, so would know all about fit etc.
Perhaps you are going so fast that us mere mortals would never understand the problems you face.

Perhaps you could spend some time in the BNA wind-tunnel to work out the airflow problems. :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks Timbo for your comment. Maybe I should have been more specific with reference to the particular model/s involved. In my case, it's the Scatto model from 2006/07 time frame. I note it's now defunct in their 2008 range.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 pm

can't say I'd noticed, so I guess the answer is 'no'.

Mine is a 2006 model Ippogriffo.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:13 pm

My old MET helmet never had such a problem. The rear 'nape' strap tensioning system holds it in place very well on its own. Maybe tighten this a bit. And set the side straps so the front retention straps are shorter than the rear ones. This will pull down more on the front of the helmet and prevent it rising above your forehead.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 pm

il padrone wrote:My old MET helmet never had such a problem. The rear 'nape' strap tensioning system holds it in place very well on its own. Maybe tighten this a bit. And set the side straps so the front retention straps are shorter than the rear ones. This will pull down more on the front of the helmet and prevent it rising above your forehead.
All very logical potential solutions. Tried all that but no help.

My suspicion is that the MET Scatto is relatively shallow and the rear tensioning system does not go low enough, resulting in this behaviour. I should take a look at some of the other MET models next time I visit a LBS. maybe there's a difference b/n the Scatto and others in the range.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:59 pm

I have the 2008 Inferno which fits very well, and doesn't move at all. I have another MET helmet (not sure what the model is) which fits quite and never moves around.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 pm

MET "Testagrossa" (what a name) - even holding the straps tight, far tighter than I could ever ride with, I can rotate the helmet backward over the head without much effort. Never moves under normal usage... and I'll compare to my 'Summer' helmet when I have a chance.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 pm

hmm, i have a cheapo MET. Was about $100. But, yes, with very little pressure I can push it back over my head.

Now this begs me to ask, how tight should you have the straps done up? If I pull the strap vertically below my chin, I can fit two to three fingers between my chin and the strap. Maybe its a bit loose?

I'll try the adjustments suggested above.

Now, after trying my helmet on again, and having ridden home from work tonight, this begs me to ask another question. How often do you wash your helmet? ewww :oops:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm

b4igo wrote:Now, after trying my helmet on again, and having ridden home from work tonight, this begs me to ask another question. How often do you wash your helmet? ewww :oops:
Take the whole thing with you in the shower every now and then. I also pull the pads off and put them through the washing machine.

The Fox Flux is the most secure helmet I've used BTW, once it's on it doesn't like to come off. Not a road helmet at all though.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:36 pm

The straps should be snug to ensure your protection cap stays in place. But it shouldn't strangle you along the way.

As for washing... Just walk into your shower with it on top once a week and shampoo. ;)

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 pm

sogood wrote:The straps should be snug to ensure your protection cap stays in place. But it shouldn't strangle you along the way.
Tightened the straps a bit, but I can still flip it. I dunno, maybe we have odd shaped heads. :lol:
As for washing... Just walk into your shower with it on top once a week and shampoo. ;)
hahahaha. I think I'll wait til noone else is home before I try that. I already get bemused looks, what with the lycra, jersey, gloves, arm warmers, shoes, ... :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:01 pm

b4igo wrote:Tightened the straps a bit, but I can still flip it. I dunno, maybe we have odd shaped heads. :lol:
Well, the problem is that there are quite a few of us who have this problem. I strongly suspect there's a basic design issue with that particular model/s. If the numbers come to bear, I may even question Standards Australia about their test result. A helmet that flips over should not have received approval from them.
hahahaha. I think I'll wait til noone else is home before I try that. I already get bemused looks, what with the lycra, jersey, gloves, arm warmers, shoes, ... :oops:
No joke really. Shampoos are usually neutral and would not damage the polystyrene base material of our helmets.

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:13 pm

sogood wrote:Well, the problem is that there are quite a few of us who have this problem. I strongly suspect there's a basic design issue with that particular model/s.
You could well be right. I might even pop over to the LBS tomorrow and take a look at a couple of other brands. Its the store I bought the helmet from, so will be interesting to see what they have to say.

tatt2

Re: Does your MET helmet flip over?

Postby tatt2 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

sogood wrote:A fellow club member observed over Sun coffee that his MET helmet flips over easily to expose his forehead even when done up tightly. Since, identical issue was confirmed with mine and Mikebyte's MET helmets. This is potentially a serious issue as a properly designed and fitted bike helmet should protect the forehead foremost in the event of frontal impact. A helmet that easily flips up would not protect the forehead properly. And IIRC, bike helmet testing specifies that helmets should not flip over when fitted.

I am wondering if the same happens with your MET helmet and whether this is a common issue with MET's design and a potential design fault? As a reference, my Giro helmet does not do that.
A lady in our riding group has this problem with her Met helmet ,she just thought it was her..will mention this thread to her
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:36 am

I have two MET helmets, a 2003/4 Sfero and a new Estro. I just put the Sfero on and although it fits nicley and doesn’t move around while I ride I can easily flip it upwards at the front. :shock: So I voted yes.

The Estro is under crash replacement at the moment but I will test it when I get it back. I hit the back of my head in the crash.

For those of you that don't notice you helmet, Met or other, moving upward with a light push under the front, where do you feel the pressure? Is the chin strap holding it down? Or is it pushing at the back of your head?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 pm

Mine is MET Scatto purchased at Xmas '07 from Cecil walker.

No issues as far as i am concerned, however, I will 'try' to see if it can flip if a manipulate it. maybe it's the goober shape of my head ....

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 pm

I have a MET Velo, and yes it does have a tendency to expose my forehead, I cant do it up any tighter either. It is a low end helmet so I don't expect much.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Been thinking of replacing my MET helmet for this very reason.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Hebden wrote:...although it fits nicley and doesn’t move around while I ride I can easily flip it upwards at the front. :shock: So I voted yes.
Just as well it doesn't move around when riding regularly. The issue raised here relates to a gentle upward push at the front. And as one can imagine, a helmet that flips on gentle contact is not going to be a protective one.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:49 pm

recently bought a met estro for the reason that it did not move :roll:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:42 am

twizzle wrote:MET "Testagrossa" (what a name) - even holding the straps tight, far tighter than I could ever ride with, I can rotate the helmet backward over the head without much effort. Never moves under normal usage... and I'll compare to my 'Summer' helmet when I have a chance.
Tried my other helmet (a 'Tec') and it's far more secure and quite difficult to rotate backward. And it's a cheaper helmet. :?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...