Horrendous events in Tadjikistan

Scintilla

Horrendous events in Tadjikistan

Postby Scintilla » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:15 pm

Bicycle touring group is targeted by motor vehicle driver and passengers. Apparently as a new form of terrorism :cry:
ISIS Says It Killed 4 Cyclists in Tajikistan

By Andrew E. Kramer and Rukmini Callimachi
July 30, 2018

MOSCOW — A car ran down a group of touring cyclists in the Central Asian state of Tajikistan over the weekend, killing four people from the United States, the Netherlands and Switzerland. On Monday, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack......
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/worl ... lists.html

Comedian

Re: Horrendous events in Tadjikistan

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm

At least their police are more effective than ours. It appears they have killed 4 suspects and arrested one. :shock: I wish they could have a little talk to the QPS.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2 ... orist-act/

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Comedian wrote:At least their police are more effective than ours. It appears they have killed 4 suspects and arrested one. :shock: I wish they could have a little talk to the QPS.

Is it really the time or place to have a sly dig at the QLD police? Totally irrelevant to the news item.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm

More news:
The two Americans killed during an ISIS-claimed terror attack in Tajikistan were Washington, D.C.- area cyclists with a mission to bike across the globe.

Lauren Geoghegan and Jay Austin were among the four foreigners killed when a car rammed into their group south of the Tajik capital of Dushanbe on Sunday. The other victims were from Switzerland and the Netherlands.....

.....They last blog post was from July 11 after they cycled from Too Ashuu to Ala-Bel in Kyrgyzstan.

“We coast into a gorgeous green valley. We freewheel past yurts and cows and little Kyrgyz kids and their enthusiastic waves,” Austin wrote. “We pass a French cyclist coming in the other direction, stop to compare notes on roads cycles, and ride on just a little longer.”
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/08/01 ... ified.html

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 pm

As horrible as this is, I do wonder about the accuracy of it being a terror attack by ISIS. Or is it a deranged person/people that are racist or just hate tourists or other group. ISIS claim responsibility for these sorts of incidents because they can easily do so and there may not be a lot of evidence wether they are or not. It increases ISIS profile when the media latch onto terrorism, which in turn inspires more deranged persons.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Agreed that this is a stretch. However the various aspects of the mode of attack, and follow up, would suggest at least an ISIS-inspired attack; quite likely a random local pack.

1. Automobile to attack soft (Western) targets a la Nice and London
2. Deliberately drove at and straight over people, then continued with knives and clubs
3. Follow-up police intervention led to aggressive armed response and death of the (suspected) perpetrators.

ISIS is as ISIS does.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Scintilla wrote:ISIS is as ISIS does.
But only by the nature that they inspire the actions of haters then claim responsibility when they don’t truly have any connectoin with the perpetrators.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 pm

djw47 wrote:Is it really the time or place to have a sly dig at the QLD police?
Yes
djw47 wrote:Totally irrelevant to the news item.
Given the intent of perpetrators is often to change behaviour by creating a sense of fear among an identifiable section of the population, I'd have thought the relevance would be clear. You don't necessarily have to be a member of a middle eastern cult to be a terrorist.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:39 am

trailgumby wrote:
Yes
Given the intent of perpetrators is often to change behaviour by creating a sense of fear among an identifiable section of the population, I'd have thought the relevance would be clear. You don't necessarily have to be a member of a middle eastern cult to be a terrorist.
I've not seen any reference anywhere to the fact that Islamic terrorists have chosen to target cyclists, it would seem far more likely that they chose to target Westerners travelling through an Islamic country in central Asia and in this case they chose a group of tourists who happened to be on bikes who fitted their criteria.

How you can equate that to police in Australia is both baffling and insulting. You obviously don't realise how ridiculous and entitled you sound.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:42 am

The news item reported that all bar one of the people who deliberately killed the cyclists were in turn killed by the police. I support this, and would be happy to see similar outcomes in Australia. Relevant.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 am

That's terrible :(

At least the killers won't ever get the chance to harm anyone else.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm

djw47 wrote:
Comedian wrote:At least their police are more effective than ours. It appears they have killed 4 suspects and arrested one. :shock: I wish they could have a little talk to the QPS.

Is it really the time or place to have a sly dig at the QLD police? Totally irrelevant to the news item.
Considering many crashes on cyclists, either solo or in a group, was treated with the usual indifference, it is

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm

(Reply deleted. But I agree with djw47 100%)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:23 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Yes
So, by means of contrast. A professional truck driver hit and killed a cyclist and left him for dead. Much as you might a roo. After the police found him he'd got 13 months jail, and a small licence suspension. I believe the QPS were very heavily criticised.

I was just offering it as a contrast. If the QPS were more like the Tadjikistan police I'm very confident drivers would be significantly more careful around cyclists than they are now. :oops:

http://maranoaplusmore.com.au/truck-driver-sentenced/

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Comedian wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Yes
So, by means of contrast. A professional truck driver hit and killed a cyclist and left him for dead. Much as you might a roo. After the police found him he'd got 13 months jail, and a small licence suspension. I believe the QPS were very heavily criticised.

I was just offering it as a contrast. If the QPS were more like the Tadjikistan police I'm very confident drivers would be significantly more careful around cyclists than they are now. :oops:

http://maranoaplusmore.com.au/truck-driver-sentenced/
Oh S**T!! That is an absolute outrageous corruption of 'justice'. I had missed this verdict and sentence. Truck-driver was a callous a-hole and should have gone down for a 10-stretch :x :x

I wholeheartedly agree with your condemnation of the Qld legal system but it would seem that the courts are at least as complicit in bike-hate as the police.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:35 pm

djw47 wrote:I've not seen any reference anywhere to the fact that Islamic terrorists have chosen to target cyclists, it would seem far more likely that they chose to target Westerners travelling through an Islamic country in central Asia and in this case they chose a group of tourists who happened to be on bikes who fitted their criteria.
As they all (bar one) chose to resist arrest by police to the death, there is not too much to go on as regards 'intent'. But judge this for yourself based on the actions :cry:

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:08 pm

For those that are interested in the people inolved in this and the human tragedy, here is a link to the blog of the two Americans killed

http://www.simplycycling.org

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 pm

A happier outlook.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:40 pm

djw47 wrote:
I've not seen any reference anywhere to the fact that Islamic terrorists have chosen to target cyclists, it would seem far more likely that they chose to target Westerners travelling through an Islamic country in central Asia and in this case they chose a group of tourists who happened to be on bikes who fitted their criteria.
Yeah would just be an attack on a tour group, the fact they are cycling wouldn't have been part of it besides identifying a target which would be at a predictable time and place.
A bus group known to be visiting some exposed location would have presented the same target.

Maniacs will go after anyone, groups of cyclists shouldn't be any more worried than any other group.
But of course any westerner has to be careful in these crazy countries.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:A happier outlook.

Life is so fragile. :(

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:57 pm

trailgumby wrote: Life is so fragile. :(
Ah, don't fret; this is a different couple who had a great time in Tajikistan, and came back to Australia.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Scintilla wrote:
trailgumby wrote: Life is so fragile. :(
Ah, don't fret; this is a different couple who had a great time in Tajikistan, and came back to Australia.
Yes, you're right. I read an article about the couple that were killed, yesterday in the Herald.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm

A more detailed insight into the recent tragic deaths of four bicycle tourists in Tajikistan, and the lead up of the trip of a lifetime they were undertaking.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/adv ... 42db46bcc7