cycling in Perth

Mac60

cycling in Perth

Postby Mac60 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi, my first post.
A bit of background before my question- I live in Tasmania and have been riding about 12 years quite casually, do the odd charity ride. Did round the bay 135k in 2015. I am recovering from a serious illness and cycling is my #1 outlet at the moment, nightly in the garage and 50-60 undulating k of a Saturday. Some mates have twisted my arm into doing the round the bay 135k again this October which I see as a good carrot for my rehab. Problem is we have a 3 week holiday (pre planned) to Perth to visit our daughter, returning 1 week before rtb. I would like to take the bike but being spoilt with Tassie quiet country roads I'm not sure of tackling city traffic. Can anyone advise of suitable bike paths in the Perth area and riding groups I could contact. I have never been fast and currently I'm not even snail like. The alternative is to find a gym but I've had enough of that here at home.
Thanks in advance
David

ColinOldnCranky

Re: cycling in Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:37 pm

If you are anywhere near the Kwinana Freeway, the path along it extends uninterrupted by any crossings (well, there 5 metres over one suburban street in Brentwood) from The Narrows Bridge to Mandurah 70km to the south. Excellent, wide, all underpasses.

After that you can continue south another 100km to Bunbury on more path and then on the wide shoulder. :mrgreen:

And this time of year you do not have to fight against the Fremantle Doctor (strong SW summer winds made famous by the Americans Cup defence in Freo).

The down side, for some, is that much of it it is quite lonely.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I regularly cycle over in Perth. From the city :

- Cycle the river to Fremantle and back, and it will be about 50km return. All flat and very little of it on roads.
- Head north east along the train line and up to Mundaring, Kalamunda, Pickering Brook and back to the city and it will be about 100km. Approx 1500m climbing. Some of this is on city streets, but in the hills you will be largely on your own.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Depends were your daughter lives. Perth is a pretty flat, spread out place.

If south of the river, you have the PSP along the Freeway and Roe Highway. You could start in Perth, ride to South Yunderup 70km, turn round ride up to Roe Highway, head down there for 20km or so, turn round head back to the city for a flat 180km or so only having to cross one street (twice).

There are plenty of groups, fast and slow. if you let people know what suburb you are staying, we can point you in the right direction. I could point you towards a couple of social mid week rides, if you are down the Rockingham, Baldivis, Mundijong way plus lets you know the quiet country roads to get some undulating rides in.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:17 pm

The DOT has a pile of bike maps which are mostly (but not entirely) accurate and useful for cyclists.
Useful in that they highlight the bike friendly routes.

The PSPs (particularly beside the railways) provide the best off-road options, depending a little on the speed you want to ride and the distance. As you get slower there's more and more options :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mac60

Postby Mac60 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks everyone, I have looked at the bike paths but I got the impression they were on the road/highway/freeway. If they are adjacent to them then that's perfect. I have had enough trips to Perth to be reasonably familiar with the layout so I can work it out from there. Thanks again.
David

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 pm

This is the freeway PSP heading south past Safety Bay Road, the freeway is to the left behind the bushes, another 40km like this to South Yunderup. In other direction to the city 32km are like this, last 12km not so nice

Mac60

Postby Mac60 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for that, it has completely changed my mindset from maybe not to for sure. You spoilt sandgropers.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Mac60 wrote:You spoilt sandgropers.
It's the quid pro quo for banning non-MV traffic from the freeways. Sometimes Main Roads gets it right, sometimes they don't.

There's a bunch of MV traffic that has been disenfrancised by this practice, including tractors and scooters, who may use neither the freeway nor the PSP. The alternate route can be very long way out of the way.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Mac60 wrote:Thanks for that, it has completely changed my mindset from maybe not to for sure. You spoilt sandgropers.
Only the ones south of the river ;-) (and see final sentence why). The PSP along the freeway north, crosses back and forth, dumps you on concrete path alongside roads and forces you to stop at lights (well it did last time I ventured north).

The paths along the Fremantle and Midland train lines cross a few roads, get "interesting" around the stations and are incomplete.

South, once you get to Bullcreek station it is uninterrupted riding.

Bail points Bullcreek, Murdoch, Cockburn Central, Auburn Grove and Kwinana Train stations (turn off PSP at Thomas Road, ride west, past servo, cross street, another 400m up road is train station). As you can take you bike on the train any time except 0700 to 9000 towards city and 1630 to 1830 away from city .

Supply points and coffee shops, just west of Cockburn station is a couple of coffee shops, including one in a shipping container. Servo just off Thomas Road turn off. Turn off at Safety Bay Road, ride west 500 metres along path, big shopping area including servo, fast food outlets and the Bike Place a coffee serving bike shop.

Once you get south of Auburn Grove traffic is very light. past Safety Bay Road you will see almost nothing except on weekends.

Weather, once it gets to September, you get the Fremantle Doctor every afternoon about 1430. A strong south westerly you will want to be riding with instead of against.

tomness

Postby tomness » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:39 pm

From the Freeway South PSP you can get onto the Roe Highway PSP , which links up to the Tonkin Highway PSP, which in turn you can connect with the Midland rail PSP. Apart from a section of the Tonkin Highway route around the Swan River this is all dedicated PSP. So you can create decent length loop from the center of Perth.