Riding to school and home

Mububban

Re: Riding to school and home

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:39 pm

4.5km isn't that arduous for teenaged legs. Are the other kids catching public transport, walking, or being picked up in cars?

My kids' primary school has two bike cages, usually moderately full, but the riding distance for most kids would be under 2km at a guess.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm

There’s plenty that walk to school at my sons high school, but not many bikes. It is around 1300 students and maybe 10 bikes. We are within about 10min easy walk and if I was going to school there I’d be walking to reduce the risk of bike theft.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Not being a parent, I have little direct knowledge of the take up of cycling to school where I live, but there certainly seem to be a fair few bikes parked at my local primary. The facilities are badly designed; a lock up which is never locked, right next to the busy road and footpath. Six cyclists out of 1500 students is appalling. Well done for bucking the trend.

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm

When My young bloke started kindergarten at an inner west public school in Sydney, we were shown around the school by the principal. When I asked where the bike rack was he looked at me blankly and said "bike rack?"
We'd not long moved out of Sydney to the south coast, just south of Wollongong and we were being shown around the new school by the principal when I asked the same question. He said "its over here", and pointed out 2 long racks with at least 12 or so bicycles and scooters. I have to say though, there wasn't much "bicycle" infrastructure around the inner west school, but there is a shared path that runs pretty much from my back Door to the school where we are now.